Any Love for Ivan Meets GI Joe?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Re: Any Love for Ivan Meets GI Joe?

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Yeah, I think it is a great track, I always liked it. It would have a made a great 12", with a couple of different versions.

Some of the live version are really good as already pointed out. I think my personal favorite is from Shibuya Kokaido, Tokyo, Japan – 24th January 1982
I always liked the versions from the initial part of that '81 European tour, like Amsterdam and Stockholm, and of course, this one too is great -- from an overall fabulous show. The segue from that to the lower-key version of Junco Partner makes for a really nice contrast of moods, too.

Considering how much Mick was into the 12-inch as a format, and/or concept, it is surprising that Ivan didn't get that treatment. Then you could have done something more with the effects, which are my only issue with the recorded version -- they're a bit more prominent than they should be, and some of the vocals get lost underneath them, to me, anyway. But that's a minor complaint for a track I've always enjoyed.

About halfway through the track, around the 1.40 mark (39.12 in the full gig video linked above), they all lock in and it gets intense. pure rock'n'roll goodness.
The same could be said for the coda at the 48:12 mark of Broadway, which really kicks the song into the stratosphere. Or Fender Stratosphere, I suppose, given the context here. :mrgreen:

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

I love the live Version , i don't Like the studio Version. Who sung the studio Version is Topper?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

APACHES67 wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 5:32am
I love the live Version , i don't Like the studio Version. Who sung the studio Version is Topper?
Topper with a heavily treated vocal.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Like many on Sandinista! I think it's a great track. But also suffers from the band working on so much material. When longer could've been spent on individual tracks if they hadn't tried so many.

But S! is a magnificent project.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 4:26pm
Like many on Sandinista! I think it's a great track. But also suffers from the band working on so much material. When longer could've been spent on individual tracks if they hadn't tried so many.

But S! is a magnificent project.
Great point.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

It's not the song i like more but, anyway, i yhink me too it's a great song! I think it was singed live by Topper Headon and it's so pity it disappears from the shows after the Australasian Tour.

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung