Any Love for Ivan Meets GI Joe?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Any Love for Ivan Meets GI Joe?

Post by matedog »

I don't know, it's really dated as Kory noted regarding the laser sounds. Topper's not a bad singer, just not particularly interesting. The musical backing doesn't do much for me either. I usually skip it when listening to S! because it's not really what I want to listen to when i'm listening to the band.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Heston wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 4:37pm
SuzukiSamurai wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 2:08pm
Although definitely not my first choice on S!, it's a song that gets a lot of love from me. I really like Topper's voice on it and it's actually one of my favorite live songs they did on the early 1982 live shows. It was kind of a weak live song in 1981 but they really got it together during the Far East Tour.
I love the Amsterdam 81 version, and I liked that key change they added to it live.

Most of the complaints I've heard about it concern the sound effects. They are a bit overbearing at times. Good song and a great lyric by Joe.
Oh no, the precursor to Dictator!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

coffeepotman wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 4:54pm
Heston wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 4:37pm
SuzukiSamurai wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 2:08pm
Although definitely not my first choice on S!, it's a song that gets a lot of love from me. I really like Topper's voice on it and it's actually one of my favorite live songs they did on the early 1982 live shows. It was kind of a weak live song in 1981 but they really got it together during the Far East Tour.
I love the Amsterdam 81 version, and I liked that key change they added to it live.

Most of the complaints I've heard about it concern the sound effects. They are a bit overbearing at times. Good song and a great lyric by Joe.
Oh no, the precursor to Dictator!
More of a relation to Play To Win.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 4:45pm
I don't know, it's really dated as Kory noted regarding the laser sounds. Topper's not a bad singer, just not particularly interesting. The musical backing doesn't do much for me either. I usually skip it when listening to S! because it's not really what I want to listen to when i'm listening to the band.
They're not laser effects, they're a recording of someone playing Space Invaders.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 6:16pm
matedog wrote:
They're not laser effects, they're a recording of someone playing Space Invaders.
Yeah, that's different :rolleyes:
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
If the bass was more interesting and present, it would boost the song a lot. It's disco for gods sake, do it all the way or do something else, I say.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 6:19pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Show some respect for the past, you insolent whelp!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Hello,

That's my major complaint with the song - it would be much better if they used Galaxian game sounds.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 9:44pm
Hello,

That's my major complaint with the song - it would be much better if they used Galaxian game sounds.
Ivan Meets G.I. Joe (Extended 12" Dig Dug Dancefloor Remix)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 6:39pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Yeah, what Doc said. Laser effects wouldn't have the destructive power of the payloads that were being used against the Space Invaders. Destroying the mothership requires more than a measly laser beam.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 12:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 6:39pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Yeah, what Doc said. Laser effects wouldn't have the destructive power of the payloads that were being used against the Space Invaders. Destroying the mothership requires more than a measly laser beam.
In my experience, an awareness that girls think you're a dork helps.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I like it. If I had to cut Sandinista to one LP it wouldn't make the cut....but I don't!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 4:28pm
I like it. If I had to cut Sandinista to one LP it wouldn't make the cut....but I don't!
tep's Sandinista 1 LP is just the kiddo version of career opportunities 12 times.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

There is just a lot going on in this song, except bass guitar. The live version is killer, could have been a real punk disco stomper

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

Yeah, I think it is a great track, I always liked it. It would have a made a great 12", with a couple of different versions.

Some of the live version are really good as already pointed out. I think my personal favorite is from Shibuya Kokaido, Tokyo, Japan – 24th January 1982

This link starts at Ivan 1/24/82:

About halfway through the track, around the 1.40 mark (39.12 in the full gig video linked above), they all lock in and it gets intense. pure rock'n'roll goodness.