Sandinista! Deluxe box set.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Sandinista! Deluxe box set.

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 8:54am
weller259 wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 1:13am
its really THAT good? I could be convinced but on my own it just hasn't appealed to me. I will readily admit to my tastes in everything being weird and inconsistent. I also am not a big fan of that style of animation which is another reason i've never watched it, it just bores the shit out of me visually. I will consider this due to the remarks and find the Simpsons thread if I decide to try it.

The Beatles, huh? The highest of praise. But I don't know ......
Simpsons jokes are kinda like Markys remixes, sometimes they jump right out at you and clobber you on the head and sometimes they just hit you later on when you least expect it. It's pretty brilliant
:approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

jnadams99 wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 8:55am
I have to say every time an official re-release happens like Combat Rock, I can't help but wonder what Marky would have done if the record label could have seen fit to commission him for a reissue.
Oh well, at least we get to enjoy his labors of love on this forum.
Excellent job as always on the Sandinista Box Set!!!!
That People's Hall release was pitiful. Marky's stuff is on a different level.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 9:43am
jnadams99 wrote:
I have to say every time an official re-release happens like Combat Rock, I can't help but wonder what Marky would have done if the record label could have seen fit to commission him for a reissue.
This set, coming on the heels of the CR “deluxe” treatment just mocks the official into disintegration. One set says this is an important band that merits preservation and contextualization; the other says, yeah, this'll do, I guess.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 10:00am
Heston wrote:
jnadams99 wrote:
This set, coming on the heels of the CR “deluxe” treatment just mocks the official into disintegration. One set says this is an important band that merits preservation and contextualization; the other says, yeah, this'll do, I guess.
Cheers Heston and doc. I don't think the band can be blamed as I feel they are still battling the record company. A record company that clearly cares less and less with each release.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 1:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
jnadams99 wrote:
Cheers Heston and doc. I don't think the band can be blamed as I feel they are still battling the record company. A record company that clearly cares less and less with each release.
The lion's share of the blame has to be the record company, but I don't get the sense that within the Clash camp there's great interest in properly curating this stuff either. Which, fair enough if they think it's over and done. But what is coming out under their name as legacy work isn't high quality.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
jnadams99 wrote:
I thought we had a solid confirmation that this was a band led decision? At least not doing Rat Patrol.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 1:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
jnadams99 wrote:
I thought we had a solid confirmation that this was a band led decision? At least not doing Rat Patrol.
Well yeah but then regards Rat Patrol people here were getting annoyed about getting a release. However in fairness to Mick his stance had always been it was never going to get a full release. He had already relented with the tracks included in Sound System. Also it showed it had nothing to do with a financial stance as the band would've made a hell of a lot more money from it's release.

Sadly this left the CR release a bit on the thin side for fans like us who already have everything including Rat Patrol.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
jnadams99 wrote:
The lion's share of the blame has to be the record company, but I don't get the sense that within the Clash camp there's great interest in properly curating this stuff either. Which, fair enough if they think it's over and done. But what is coming out under their name as legacy work isn't high quality.
Mick has a lot of unreleased stuff. That will be properly curated in his archive. If he sees fit to release any of it that's for us to see. I doubt Sony care that much in promoting The Clash as much as we would like.

Remember the band had always seen CBS/Sony as the enemy and hated being tied into their contract.

But maybe better the devil you know.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 2:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Mick has a lot of unreleased stuff. That will be properly curated in his archive. If he sees fit to release any of it that's for us to see. I doubt Sony care that much in promoting The Clash as much as we would like.

Remember the band had always seen CBS/Sony as the enemy and hated being tied into their contract.

Yup, I completely get that. I guess I'd rather the band just flat-out reject these re-releases if they're going to be half-arsed. One of the things the band was deservedly known for was value for the money. If it ain't value for the money, don't release anything.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 2:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 2:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yup, I completely get that. I guess I'd rather the band just flat-out reject these re-releases if they're going to be half-arsed. One of the things the band was deservedly known for was value for the money. If it ain't value for the money, don't release anything.
I guess it's difficult to know what exactly is stated in that contract. Are they obliged to release anything and have a say or can the label go ahead and release stuff regardless.

Recently Elvis Costello has been bemoaning how a large chunk of his later albums are being re-released on colour vinyl without his consent.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 3:05pm
I guess it's difficult to know what exactly is stated in that contract. Are they obliged to release anything and have a say or can the label go ahead and release stuff regardless.

Recently Elvis Costello has been bemoaning how a large chunk of his later albums are being re-released on colour vinyl without his consent.
That's a really good question. The limp effort by Sony doesn't make it sound like it really wants to do this stuff, so if there is an obligation, both sides could write it out.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 3:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:

That's a really good question. The limp effort by Sony doesn't make it sound like it really wants to do this stuff, so if there is an obligation, both sides could write it out.
I think Teddy mentioned the label originally wanted to do a very pricy box which the band vetoed in favor of something for consumer-friendly (if not superfan-friendly). So it would seem they have some sort of leverage.

I'd be curious if industry people know more about usual practices, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of contracts let labels do straight reissues (say, new reissues on colored vinyl) but require artist approval when there are substantial changes to the contents of the record. Deluxe editions and so forth.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

Raw Power and Sandinista! Looks like I checked in just in time. Thanks Marky!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 3:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:

I think Teddy mentioned the label originally wanted to do a very pricy box which the band vetoed in favor of something for consumer-friendly (if not superfan-friendly). So it would seem they have some sort of leverage.
Ah, you're right—I remember that now. I respect their logic and resistance to something pricey, but the solution that was settled on was … unsatisfying.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spencey wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 4:07pm
Raw Power and Sandinista! Looks like I checked in just in time. Thanks Marky!
You did mate. 👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia