Sandinista! Deluxe box set.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Sandinista! Deluxe box set.

Post by laxman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 3:46pm
laxman wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 3:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 12:54pm
Several years ago, I read about a fan-curated omnibus set of New Order, gathering everything imaginable and creating elegant sleeves for an overall package. What Marky's done with each of the studio records and all the boots easily rivals that, possibly surpasses it (I have no idea whether they engaged in any kind of tweaking and cleaning up). If something like Marky's Clash work were gathered up and actually put on sale as one huge collection, I'd fume at the cost—it'd have to be in excess of $1000, no?—even as I'd lust to have it. No hyperbole here—I mean this completely—that this is legendary fan work for a band that deserves it.
That New Order site included Joy Division singles too. Sadly it seems to be long gone now. There was a similar site for The Smiths (Extra track and a tacky badge) but that has gone too.
Perfect name!
Definitely. This link has info on what was on the site.

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/ ... ad.143862/

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

laxman wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Several years ago, I read about a fan-curated omnibus set of New Order, gathering everything imaginable and creating elegant sleeves for an overall package. What Marky's done with each of the studio records and all the boots easily rivals that, possibly surpasses it (I have no idea whether they engaged in any kind of tweaking and cleaning up). If something like Marky's Clash work were gathered up and actually put on sale as one huge collection, I'd fume at the cost—it'd have to be in excess of $1000, no?—even as I'd lust to have it. No hyperbole here—I mean this completely—that this is legendary fan work for a band that deserves it.
That New Order site included Joy Division singles too. Sadly it seems to be long gone now. There was a similar site for The Smiths (Extra track and a tacky badge) but that has gone too.
I’ve got all this New Order, Joy Division and Smiths stuff saved in flac from back in the day before they were forced to close down. The quality is awesome!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

laxman wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 3:46pm
laxman wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Perfect name!
Definitely. This link has info on what was on the site.

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/ ... ad.143862/
Just found it on SoulSeek. Very neat.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

lanini66
Dirty Punk

Post by lanini66 »

This is a work of (he)art and Shakespearean height...

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

topperville wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 4:26pm
laxman wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I’ve got all this New Order, Joy Division and Smiths stuff saved in flac from back in the day before they were forced to close down. The quality is awesome!
According to Moz Solo there, they were only ever released in M4a which is a lossy format, so someone must have re-encoded them to FLAC.
Can't believe that someone would go to such great lengths and not produce lossless files.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 1:37pm
This is great Marky, thanks so much! Particularly looking forward to Let's Go Crazy—what made you single that one out?
Sorry Kory I missed this question.

I looked at all the singles from S!. So the precursor was "Bankrobber" then "The Call Up", "Hitsville U.K." and finally "Mag 7".

Which is a variation of styles across those 4 tracks. I thought about 1980 when they were released and the many different styles of music being produced at the time. And decided that "Lets Go Crazy" (no apostrophe as per the record sleeve) would've made an interesting single with it's carnival steel band/Soca feel. Obviously with the intro it would've been too long so I was able to remove it completely with using the vocal stem.

I did a similar thing with "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe" removing the "Oranges and Lemons" intro and also removing a layer of arcade game effects from the mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

VLADI
Dirty Punk

Post by VLADI »

Thanks Marky. Great job !!!

I love the sound of the guitars

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 5:12am
Kory wrote:
Obviously with the intro it would've been too long so I was able to remove it completely with using the vocal stem.

I did a similar thing with "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe" removing the "Oranges and Lemons" intro and also removing a layer of arcade game effects from the mix.
It's crazy how these little artifacts get embedded in your memory, then suddenly they are gone.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

lanini66 wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 3:55am
This is a work of (he)art and Shakespearean height...
😎👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

VLADI wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 6:53am
Thanks Marky. Great job !!!

I love the sound of the guitars
They work good on some tracks but less on others. Cheers though.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 6:54am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 5:12am
Kory wrote:
Obviously with the intro it would've been too long so I was able to remove it completely with using the vocal stem.

It's crazy how these little artifacts get embedded in your memory, then suddenly they are gone.
It is mate. 👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky - "Hey mum I got my end of term report"
Mum - "What does it say?"
Marky - "Teacher says I must try harder"
Mum - "Stupid boy, you'll never amount to anything!"

But seriously thanks for those kind words appreciated.
:lol: Most teachers are awful. Like, harmful awful. Proving them all wrong has some satisfaction, I hope, but, shit, I'd rather be motivated to validate the opinion of those who believed in me.
That's not fair. I was a teacher for quite a few years, and mathematics was my subject which is not the easiest to build enthusiasm with. However, if you just try to get on well with folk you can communicate in a positive manner. I still meet some former pupils who enjoy speaking to their former maths teacher! Good on them, because I always love finding out what they have made with their lives. I've also got great tips on up and coming bands from pupils, learning is a two way process.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

dave202 wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 10:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky - "Hey mum I got my end of term report"
Mum - "What does it say?"
Marky - "Teacher says I must try harder"
Mum - "Stupid boy, you'll never amount to anything!"

But seriously thanks for those kind words appreciated.
:lol: Most teachers are awful. Like, harmful awful. Proving them all wrong has some satisfaction, I hope, but, shit, I'd rather be motivated to validate the opinion of those who believed in me.
That's not fair. I was a teacher for quite a few years, and mathematics was my subject which is not the easiest to build enthusiasm with. However, if you just try to get on well with folk you can communicate in a positive manner. I still meet some former pupils who enjoy speaking to their former maths teacher! Good on them, because I always love finding out what they have made with their lives. I've also got great tips on up and coming bands from pupils, learning is a two way process.
I did say most teachers are awful, not all. What you describe is not part of that majority. Lousy teachers tend to embrace one of two (if not both) qualities: apathy or adversarial.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

PatricE
Corner Soul

Post by PatricE »

Marky Dread! Fantastic work! Thanks for sharing!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

PatricE wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 12:32pm
Marky Dread! Fantastic work! Thanks for sharing!
Cheers mate.👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia