Sandinista! Deluxe box set.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: Sandinista! Deluxe box set.

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 10:46am
dave202 wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 10:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 1:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 12:54pm
Several years ago, I read about a fan-curated omnibus set of New Order, gathering everything imaginable and creating elegant sleeves for an overall package. What Marky's done with each of the studio records and all the boots easily rivals that, possibly surpasses it (I have no idea whether they engaged in any kind of tweaking and cleaning up). If something like Marky's Clash work were gathered up and actually put on sale as one huge collection, I'd fume at the cost—it'd have to be in excess of $1000, no?—even as I'd lust to have it. No hyperbole here—I mean this completely—that this is legendary fan work for a band that deserves it.
Marky - "Hey mum I got my end of term report"
Mum - "What does it say?"
Marky - "Teacher says I must try harder"
Mum - "Stupid boy, you'll never amount to anything!"

But seriously thanks for those kind words appreciated.
:lol: Most teachers are awful. Like, harmful awful. Proving them all wrong has some satisfaction, I hope, but, shit, I'd rather be motivated to validate the opinion of those who believed in me.
That's not fair. I was a teacher for quite a few years, and mathematics was my subject which is not the easiest to build enthusiasm with. However, if you just try to get on well with folk you can communicate in a positive manner. I still meet some former pupils who enjoy speaking to their former maths teacher! Good on them, because I always love finding out what they have made with their lives. I've also got great tips on up and coming bands from pupils, learning is a two way process.
I did say most teachers are awful, not all. What you describe is not part of that majority. Lousy teachers tend to embrace one of two (if not both) qualities: apathy or adversarial.
Hello,

I would disagree most teachers are awful. Having taught High School math as Dave202 above prior to moving on to Kinesiology at higher education/university level, I've known a fair amount of teachers. Most of the teachers I've come across have tried to help educate kids. Some have been poor, more have been good, but the majority have been average. I think we remember the bad ones more vividly than the good ones. The few bad teachers I've known (bad people rather than just incompetent teachers) I tried to redirect - they obviously weren't happy teaching. As Doc mentioned, apathy is generally the reason for poor teachers. Bad people make bad teachers - those usually don't last (there are exceptions of course). If you've had a really horrible teacher, I feel badly for you. If you've had a great teacher, I'm happy for you.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

I'd post a reply Doc, but I'm too apathetic.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Oh, and has anyone mentioned the stickers yet? The stickers are fan-fucking-tastic, too.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

gkbill wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 12:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 10:46am
dave202 wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 10:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 1:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 1:27pm

Marky - "Hey mum I got my end of term report"
Mum - "What does it say?"
Marky - "Teacher says I must try harder"
Mum - "Stupid boy, you'll never amount to anything!"

But seriously thanks for those kind words appreciated.
:lol: Most teachers are awful. Like, harmful awful. Proving them all wrong has some satisfaction, I hope, but, shit, I'd rather be motivated to validate the opinion of those who believed in me.
That's not fair. I was a teacher for quite a few years, and mathematics was my subject which is not the easiest to build enthusiasm with. However, if you just try to get on well with folk you can communicate in a positive manner. I still meet some former pupils who enjoy speaking to their former maths teacher! Good on them, because I always love finding out what they have made with their lives. I've also got great tips on up and coming bands from pupils, learning is a two way process.
I did say most teachers are awful, not all. What you describe is not part of that majority. Lousy teachers tend to embrace one of two (if not both) qualities: apathy or adversarial.
Hello,

I would disagree most teachers are awful. Having taught High School math as Dave202 above prior to moving on to Kinesiology at higher education/university level, I've known a fair amount of teachers. Most of the teachers I've come across have tried to help educate kids. Some have been poor, more have been good, but the majority have been average. I think we remember the bad ones more vividly than the good ones. The few bad teachers I've known (bad people rather than just incompetent teachers) I tried to redirect - they obviously weren't happy teaching. As Doc mentioned, apathy is generally the reason for poor teachers. Bad people make bad teachers - those usually don't last (there are exceptions of course). If you've had a really horrible teacher, I feel badly for you. If you've had a great teacher, I'm happy for you.
I believe this generation of teachers are amazing! I see how my wife with interacts with her students, they love her, it's a beautiful thing.
We never had that in the 70's, teachers were the enemy.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 1:45pm
Oh, and has anyone mentioned the stickers yet? The stickers are fan-fucking-tastic, too.
🤣 thanks Olaf but this isn't the Sandinista! Deluxe box set thread anymore. It's a fucking teachers staff room at break time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 2:31pm
Olaf wrote:
🤣 thanks Olaf but this isn't the Sandinista! Deluxe box set thread anymore. It's a fucking teachers staff room at break time.
:lol: I'll accept the demerits for that.

I listened to the first disc (or two discs) that cover most of S! this morning. Marvellous stuff. Clear separation in places that I hadn't noticed before and reminding me again what a wonderfully adventurous time it was for the band. Having a rearranged track listing also heightens the experience—you don't get what's expected when one song ends. That aids in refocusing attention. Just superior work, as always.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

I hated school, and I hated Maths the most. Then one year we got a new teacher called Mr Noble. Very swarthy looking and he could have easily played the part of a nasty bastard on film
Everybody hated him, but he suddenly made maths interesting to me.
Everything he said made sense, where as other teachers might have well have been talking Greek.
I flourished for a full year under his tutelage, then he left. But he left, leaving me with enough skill at maths to get me through the last year.
I always hoped I would bump into him just so I could thank him, but never did. Changed my life(in a small way)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 2:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:

I listened to the first disc (or two discs) that cover most of S! this morning. Marvellous stuff. Clear separation in places that I hadn't noticed before and reminding me again what a wonderfully adventurous time it was for the band. Having a rearranged track listing also heightens the experience—you don't get what's expected when one song ends. That aids in refocusing attention. Just superior work, as always.
So is that like an A- for my homework? Never got more than C before.

Yeah this new supply teacher is alright!!!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:
And just to join the staff room! I’ve been teaching Maths for the last 35 years and love it. It never even crossed my mind to do that but I was working for American Express in Brighton, post Maths degree, and just had enough after two years of working for the Yankee dollar. Found out I could be a student again, paid by the state to train as a Maths teacher, and fell into the profession by chance. Have since found I’m quite good at it!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 3:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:

A for the remixing work, but the sleeve work and the unintentional humiliation of Sony and its handling of the band's catalogue pushes it to an obvious A+.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 3:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 3:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:

A for the remixing work, but the sleeve work and the unintentional humiliation of Sony and its handling of the band's catalogue pushes it to an obvious A+.
🤣🤣🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Just to let everyone know I'm not a teacher. Everybody else seems to be.

IMCT Infernal Music Club for Teachers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 4:22pm
Just to let everyone know I'm not a teacher. Everybody else seems to be.

IMCT Infernal Music Club for Teachers.
🤣🤣🤣

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Wow! Marky, it’s absolutely great!! As usual you did an excellent work. Thanks!!!

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

paulsbrown
Corner Soul

Post by paulsbrown »

This is the best website ever. Thanks to all you who make it happen.