Sandinista! Deluxe box set.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Sandinista! Deluxe box set.

Post by Marky Dread »

danbot wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 10:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 2:10pm
coffeepotman wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 2:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 1:53pm
coffeepotman wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 1:45pm
But really, were you able to get up and walk away so you could sleep at home? Don't worry You are Forgiven
Early morning cold taxi for me.
Good one! Leave the Jaguar at home
It's in John Mason's garage.
Ok, quit Sodding Around, time for me to Relax and eat some Heinz Baked Beans, cause I Don't Mind, It's a Legal Matter now
Okay it seems Coffeepotman has spent too much time on the Squeeze Box and off to Armenia the city in the sky. So who's next?
[/quote]
It's Hard to say. Maybe Slip Kid?
[/quote]

Just a quick one from me but danbot has fallen at the first hurdle as "it's hard" has already been used.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

danbot
Dirty Punk

Post by danbot »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 3:55am
danbot wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 1:53pm

Early morning cold taxi for me.
Ok, quit Sodding Around, time for me to Relax and eat some Heinz Baked Beans, cause I Don't Mind, It's a Legal Matter now
Okay it seems Coffeepotman has spent too much time on the Squeeze Box and off to Armenia the city in the sky. So who's next?
[/quote]

Just a quick one from me but danbot has fallen at the first hurdle as "it's hard" has already been used.
[/quote]

Gah, going out in the first round! It all looked fine...

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

danbot wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 10:41am
Marky Dread wrote:
danbot wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Alright, Time is Passing so let's Join Together, this should be Pure and Easy.....oh this is too easy, I'm Going Mobile since All This Music Must Fade

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 10:50am
danbot wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 10:41am
Marky Dread wrote:
danbot wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

[/quote]

Alright, Time is Passing so let's Join Together, this should be Pure and Easy.....oh this is too easy, I'm Going Mobile since All This Music Must Fade
[/quote]

The good's gone now and I'm the seeker I look anyway, anyhow and anywhere. I won't take no substitute if I feel I can't reach you then there's always the sunrise. I'm no silas stingy I offer eyesight to the blind and if you don't believe me go see the fortune teller who will inform you you're about to be taken on an amazing journey where you'll feel like a helpless dancer.

Anyway It's 5.15 and time I got out of my brain on the train. See you all down by the sea and sand.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Well aren't you The Quiet One, but I've Had Enough now

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 11:24am
Well aren't you The Quiet One, but I've Had Enough now
So you see me, feel me? You better you bet!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Good grief, man! I was just listening to your new Earthquake Weather mix and marveling what you had done with it this time, and then I stumbled onto this. We're all in your debt! Thanks a million!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 2:29pm
Good grief, man! I was just listening to your new Earthquake Weather mix and marveling what you had done with it this time, and then I stumbled onto this. We're all in your debt! Thanks a million!
You stumbled on it just in time it's only up for a fortnight then it's gone forever.

Enjoy mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 9:54am
Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 9:46am
Marky, out of interest, are you remixing using the extraction software that separates the the vocals etc?
That's correct. I made new stems for every track apart from the live tracks which I remixed from scratch. A lot of work.

Did you do this for EW also? I recall enjoying the previous remix you did of it, but this new EW mix is incredible. I've always liked EW more than what the general consensus seems to be, but this mix is indisputably better to my ears. Joe's voice is warmer and fuller on the quiet tracks, and really pops on the lively tracks.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Correct me if I'm wrong here Marky, but it almost seems like you were able to find a way to decrease the amount of reverb on the tracks. It's really a different experience hearing a track like, say, Corner Soul in a much crisper and more present (read: less murky) presentation. The bass is especially present, which I appreciate.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 2:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 9:54am
Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 9:46am
Marky, out of interest, are you remixing using the extraction software that separates the the vocals etc?
That's correct. I made new stems for every track apart from the live tracks which I remixed from scratch. A lot of work.

Did you do this for EW also? I recall enjoying the previous remix you did of it, but this new EW mix is incredible. I've always liked EW more than what the general consensus seems to be, but this mix is indisputably better to my ears. Joe's voice is warmer and fuller on the quiet tracks, and really pops on the lively tracks.
Yes mate. I made stems for all the tracks and remixed them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 2:51pm
Correct me if I'm wrong here Marky, but it almost seems like you were able to find a way to decrease the amount of reverb on the tracks. It's really a different experience hearing a track like, say, Corner Soul in a much crisper and more present (read: less murky) presentation. The bass is especially present, which I appreciate.
Yes I was able to reduce the reverb on certain tracks. The drums are punchier and bass brought up in the mix. The most difficult part working from stems are the guitar parts which can end up sounding thin. On some tracks I had to double up the guitars to get the volume for the mix. Last thing to do was to push up the vocal to match the mix.

On Hitsville I tried to lower Ellen's vocal and the glockenspiel or whatever they used. But artifacts get left in the mix making it sound horrible. Plus Mick's vocal can not be extracted without Ellen's and Mick's vocal sound nothing more than a guide vocal.
I pushed up the bass which I felt drove the tracks groove.

Some tracks work better than others but overall I'm pretty pleased that it offers a different listening experience.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

hey Marky, maybe have you forgotten Let's Go crazy from Barcelona 27/4/81 in Sandinista live? Of course it's not at the same sound quality as Bond, Amsterdam and Tokyo but it's the only live version we know.
I'll start to listen everything in this weekend.

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

SuzukiSamurai wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 9:43am
River wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 2:00am
SuzukiSamurai wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 12:36am
danbot wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 10:57pm

For the folks that know the setlists better than I do, aside from Sound of Sinners played in '83, were any other songs from Sandinista! played live other than those on Marky's live disc?
Rebel Waltz was said to have been played at the Theatre Mogador on September 23rd, 1981, but sadly no recording is circulating. Let's Go Crazy was played the first night of the Impossible Mission Tour in April 1981 in Barcelona, but sadly the recording is not the greatest. I think that's about all aside from the usual songs played?
Up in Heaven was played some time in 1980, there's a set that Joe wrote that's in the book Redemption Song that shows it was done.
That really irks me that there isn't a recording of it. Up in Heaven is one of those songs that should have 100% been played as a setlist usual during 1981. Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea.
Completely agree that Up in Heaven should've been in every set after it was written. I love that song. It's a mystery to me why it wasn't a standard.

I just sat down to sample a bit of Marky's set, and it was the first song I tried after Somebody Got Murdered. (Both sound superb. I'm going to dive in in earnest later tonight. I just couldn't wait and had to try some of my favorites.)

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

p.s. and, always about Sandinista Live, an other missing track is The Sound Of Sinners from US Festival 1983

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung