Sandinista! Deluxe box set.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Re: Sandinista! Deluxe box set.

Post by Mark^Bastard »

There are so many subtle differences. Some songs just sound a little more 'normal' I guess, but the change to the (backing) vocals of the Sound of Sinners is just insane. Just completely changes the song IMO. What a fascinating thing you've done here Marky.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 12:56am
There are so many subtle differences. Some songs just sound a little more 'normal' I guess, but the change to the (backing) vocals of the Sound of Sinners is just insane. Just completely changes the song IMO. What a fascinating thing you've done here Marky.
Cheers Mark. When I remix stuff I just try to enhance stuff that I feel is too low in the original mix. Often I will mix a track several times before deciding what sounds best. I end up scrapping loads of mixes until I hit on the one.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

It's great hearing the bass on Ivan.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

And what a tasty guitar on CDS. Previously nearly inaudible.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 1:06pm
Cheers John glad you are enjoying it. I'm working on a London Calling imaginary box set. Will be weeks away yet but it's sounding great so far.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 1:13pm
Heston wrote:
Cheers John glad you are enjoying it. I'm working on a London Calling imaginary box set. Will be weeks away yet but it's sounding great so far.
First chance I've had to properly sit down and listen mate. Thoroughly enjoying it. Something About England has a new clarity with less reverb and Joe's vocal louder in the mix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marvelous news! While your Clash work and generosity has been jaw-dropping overall, I really do think the S! stuff—in quality and scope—is the best thing you've done. Do you get a sense that your skills have improved, both in using the software and training your ear?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

Cheers marky, I Can 't wait to dive into this. I actually had your last S! Version in my car Just last week.

God knows what you could create with the real stems and Professional Equipment.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 2:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marvelous news! While your Clash work and generosity has been jaw-dropping overall, I really do think the S! stuff—in quality and scope—is the best thing you've done. Do you get a sense that your skills have improved, both in using the software and training your ear?
It's all Heath Robinson mate. Tied together with bits of string and tape. When it holds together it's great. I've always had a good ear. The software I use is coming into it's tenth year but yeah I can manipulate it better now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

chocolatejesus wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:09pm
Cheers marky, I Can 't wait to dive into this. I actually had your last S! Version in my car Just last week.

God knows what you could create with the real stems and Professional Equipment.
You made it by a day. All getting deleted on the 14th. 👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
It's all Heath Robinson mate. Tied together with bits of string and tape. When it holds together it's great. I've always had a good ear. The software I use is coming into it's tenth year but yeah I can manipulate it better now.
Well, I just learned that there's a Limey version of what we call Rube Goldberg on the other side of the ocean!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Well, I just learned that there's a Limey version of what we call Rube Goldberg on the other side of the ocean!
I would consider myself a sound manipulator. What the ear doesn't hear it doesn't miss. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 4:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I would consider myself a sound manipulator. What the ear doesn't hear it doesn't miss. 😉
My ears miss so, so much! :approve: No, wait. :disshame:

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Marky, Thank you for all your hard work and generosity in revitalising the Sandinista material. Could anyone have predicted in 1980, that The Clash could have taken so many sounds and influences to create a bold, if slightly bonkers LP.

Your sequencing of the tracks work really well and my favourite songs from the album, sound fresh and exciting again.

I hope you've had some feedback from the band and that the care and attention to the artwork alone, has been noted. One day you will be officially appointed Clash Curator in Chief.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 1:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
First chance I've had to properly sit down and listen mate. Thoroughly enjoying it. Something About England has a new clarity with less reverb and Joe's vocal louder in the mix.
I love it when people hear new things in songs they love. I still marvel at the amount of styles and the volume of work contained in Sandinista!.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia