SANDINISTA! CURIOSITIES

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: SANDINISTA! CURIOSITIES

Post by APACHES67 »

About The Call Up would like to Know if Ivan Julian plays the guitar, then what Mick and Joe play on that Song? Someone knows? And why is Ivan Julian who plays the guitar? He contributed to create this Song?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

APACHES67 wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 7:01pm
About The Call Up would like to Know if Ivan Julian plays the guitar, then what Mick and Joe play on that Song? Someone knows? And why is Ivan Julian who plays the guitar? He contributed to create this Song?
There is at least two guitar tracks on there. From what I recall they jammed on the song for quite a while with Ivan until they locked into the tune/groove.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

From the "Please Kill Me" website.
The Clash requested that the band (Voidoids) open for them. “They had heard Blank Generation and they really liked it,” said Julian. “We met them during soundcheck. I met Topper (Headon) and Mick (Jones) and Joe (Strummer) — they were sweet guys. I became friends with them and we did the tour and it was pretty crazy because there was a very anti-American sentiment in England at the time. They were sick of us. Of our cars, our influence on them. We would come out to play and the audience would start chanting, ‘The same old thing, the same old thing.’ ”

At a jam session with The Clash at Electric Lady Studios in New York, Julian told them a disturbing story that he said The Clash turned into the song, “Ivan Meets G.I. Joe”. While the song references conflict between the United States and the Soviet Union, it also mentions Julian’s awful night at the Studio 54 nightclub.

“It was after the heyday of Studio 54 and I’d never been,” he said. So he visited and “there was nobody there but me and a bouncer who kept following me around.”

Julian also played on The Clash’s “The Call Up” at that session. Julian said that he felt “bonded” to Mick Jones “because we were born pretty much at the same minute, June 26, 1955, at 11 in the morning. Meeting someone born at the same time as you, you try to factor in magnetics and star signs and you see the similarities and the differences … When we were doing the tour this came up because we were standing in the exact same spot on the stage in our respective bands.”

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

PKM: Speaking of the Clash, how did you begin working on Sandinista?

Ivan Julian: They basically came into town and set up shop at Electric Lady Studios, and they would park there for a month or two. They called me up and said “Just come by and say hello” so I said, “Yeah sure, I’d love to see you guys.” So I came in, we were talking, and then they start playing the groove from “The Call Up”. I said, “Somebody give me a guitar, now!” So Joe gives me his Tele, and I start playing that, he starts playing this grand piano, and we just start jamming on it and then going to the other part, and with “Ivan Meets G.I. Joe,” it was the same thing, ‘cause that was when I told him the story about Studio 54. So I thought “That was a jam, it was really great to see you guys, see you later” and then six months later the record comes out. Mick calls me up and he goes, “You know, we’ve got a check for you, for playing on the single.” And I’m like “That’s nice” so that’s really how it happened.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 4:52pm

Ivan Julian: They basically came into town and set up shop at Electric Lady Studios, and they would park there for a month or two. They called me up and said “Just come by and say hello” so I said, “Yeah sure, I’d love to see you guys.” So I came in, we were talking, and then they start playing the groove from “The Call Up”. I said, “Somebody give me a guitar, now!” So Joe gives me his Tele, and I start playing that, he starts playing this grand piano, and we just start jamming on it and then going to the other part, and with “Ivan Meets G.I. Joe,” it was the same thing, ‘cause that was when I told him the story about Studio 54. So I thought “That was a jam, it was really great to see you guys, see you later” and then six months later the record comes out. Mick calls me up and he goes, “You know, we’ve got a check for you, for playing on the single.” And I’m like “That’s nice” so that’s really how it happened.
Thanks a lot mate For this story new For me. So Ivan Julian is connected with the title "Ivan meets G.I. Joe". The bouncer was trying to abuse him, if i well understand...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

APACHES67 wrote:
03 Oct 2022, 3:04am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 4:52pm

Thanks a lot mate For this story new For me. So Ivan Julian is connected with the title "Ivan meets G.I. Joe". The bouncer was trying to abuse him, if i well understand...
Yes that's correct.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia