SANDINISTA! CURIOSITIES

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

SANDINISTA! CURIOSITIES

Post by APACHES67 »

Would like to know more details about Sandinista!
I invite you all to ask and discuss about less known(or unknown) news.
For example who sing in Version City?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: SANDINISTA! CURIOSITIES

Post by Low Down Low »

APACHES67 wrote:
24 Sep 2022, 10:39am
Good question mate. I've always assumed it's just Joe on his own, double tracked or something, but lot more knowledgeable folk here might know more. The harmonica on that track is awesome, Lew Lewis if I'm remembering the name right.

Not sure if it was ever revealed who does the intro and outro either. I'm thinking it might be Den Hegarty but that's just another wild guess.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

To these ears the lead vocal is Joe singing a three part harmony.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Gerald Baxter-Warman seems the likely candidate for the posh voiceover at the start. He's in the album credits.

And let's not forget where they took the intro from...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Heston wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 6:42am
Gerald Baxter-Warman seems the likely candidate for the posh voiceover at the start. He's in the album credits.

That's brilliant, what a revelation Heston! Mind blown, just like when I learned the flamenco guitar flourish at the beginning of the Beatles' Bungalow Bill was a mellotron pre-set.

By the way I always had the posh-but-slightly-deranged spoken intros as being Den Hegarty, but who knows.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

JohnS wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 7:16am
Heston wrote:

That's brilliant, what a revelation Heston! Mind blown, just like when I learned the flamenco guitar flourish at the beginning of the Beatles' Bungalow Bill was a mellotron pre-set.

By the way I always had the posh-but-slightly-deranged spoken intros as being Den Hegarty, but who knows.
I thought it always sounded a bit like Den too, but it would also make a lot of sense that it belongs to one of the other credited contributors. I assume one of them must be the "dj" on Lightning Strikes too. Shame the credits aren't a bit more specific on this.

Actually scratch that. I think the dj on LS is definitely Mikey?

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

DJ at the beginning of LS is Habte Selassie.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

sonnyburnit wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 8:08am
Thanks, it hadn't even occurred to me that that was actually a real dj and not an entirely made up clip. Every day here is a school day!

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Low Down Low wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 3:34am
APACHES67 wrote:
24 Sep 2022, 10:39am
Good question mate. I've always assumed it's just Joe on his own, double tracked or something, but lot more knowledgeable folk here might know more. The harmonica on that track is awesome, Lew Lewis if I'm remembering the name right.

Not sure if it was ever revealed who does the intro and outro either. I'm thinking it might be Den Hegarty but that's just another wild guess.
Thanks to you Low Down Low, yes i hear clear Joe Strummer voice in some parts of the song, but i was wandering who is singing the rest

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Heston wrote:

Thanks Heston, really interesting

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

APACHES67 wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 1:40pm
Heston wrote:

Thanks Heston, really interesting
I thought the intro to Version City was a radio jingle. I'm really surprised its from a Mattel keyboard.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 8:33am
sonnyburnit wrote:
Thanks, it hadn't even occurred to me that that was actually a real dj and not an entirely made up clip. Every day here is a school day!
Yeah genuine radio show called "Labbrish" from WBAI radio in New york. Jamaica DJ.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

I believe I read on here a long time ago that the band played less of the music than I was expecting, like Paul not playing a lot of the bass lines, particularly the iconic ones like Mag 7. Can't remember all the details.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 8:43pm
I believe I read on here a long time ago that the band played less of the music than I was expecting, like Paul not playing a lot of the bass lines, particularly the iconic ones like Mag 7. Can't remember all the details.
Norman watt Roy played alot of the bass and Micky Gallagher played keyboards on it too...Tymon Dogg did some bits and pieces as well. Think there was quite a few other collaborators involved but those 3 are the ones I can remember and who did the most I think... pretty sure it was Norman's daughter singing guns of Brixton too...

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 7:39pm
Low Down Low wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 8:33am
sonnyburnit wrote:
Yeah genuine radio show called "Labbrish" from WBAI radio in New york. Jamaica DJ.
Great to learn this, should have known it sooner. Just looked it up and the word "labrish" or "labbrish" is apparently Jamaican dialect for "Gossip, rumor, chatty speaking. noun. 1." So not sure why Joe should have been expecting more music from it ;)

Such a curious clip though and i really do like it.