Clash busking in Edinburgh

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Clash busking in Edinburgh

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 2:59pm
"This Is Big Audio Dynamite" was a clever and inventive record. "Cut the Crap" was neither just a bunch of poorly executed ideas by someone who had no right being in the producers chair.

But it's wrong to think that if Mick had stayed in The Clash then we would've got a version of TIBAD. We would've got a very different sounding record. lyrics would not have been all Mick's for one and it would've sounded much different.
And don't forget Don wrote a lot of lyrics on TiBAD.

And it's a great album, easily in my all time top 10 by anyone.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 3:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 2:59pm
"This Is Big Audio Dynamite" was a clever and inventive record. "Cut the Crap" was neither just a bunch of poorly executed ideas by someone who had no right being in the producers chair.

But it's wrong to think that if Mick had stayed in The Clash then we would've got a version of TIBAD. We would've got a very different sounding record. lyrics would not have been all Mick's for one and it would've sounded much different.
And don't forget Don wrote a lot of lyrics on TiBAD.

And it's a great album, easily in my all time top 10 by anyone.
Yes of course credit to Don and I shouldn't have overlooked his contribution. But really my point was if Mick had remained in The Clash then there would've been the majority of lyrics written by Joe.

I agree TIBAD is a great debut.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Thank you mate, but i would Like to Know if Joe or Nick Sheppard left one or more interviews about the recording of Cut The Crap...no one of them have talked about it?
This book covers a lot of that ground. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/364 ... -the-clash

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

appleseed1 wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 8:49pm

Thank you mate, but i would Like to Know if Joe or Nick Sheppard left one or more interviews about the recording of Cut The Crap...no one of them have talked about it?
This book covers a lot of that ground. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/364 ... -the-clash
Thank you mate. I've read several Clash book but we are the clash is new for me, because we don't have in italian language. I've just ordered on line, but i need long time to read it all

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 7:57am
Heston wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 5:03am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 4:22am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Oct 2022, 5:09pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
03 Oct 2022, 4:31pm

I wonder if we might have been at the same gig i saw them at Brixton too. I cant remember the date when i was there but i am sure i still have the ticket up in the loft stuck in a old clash vinyl album somewhere. If i venture up there one day and find the date i will let you know i think it would be really cool if we was at the same gig.
I went Saturday 7th September 1984.

They also played Friday 6th September 1984.
I am so anal i just had to go up in the loft and search for that ticket through my old vinyls and it took hours :mrgreen: if I was sensible i would have stored it in a clash LP but no i put it in an Ian Dury LP :huh:

Ok my ticket doesnt have the year on it but the date says Saturday 17th March and the ticket cost £4 i mean that was the day when Live music was just the dogs bollocks
I imagine it must be 1984 as the album hadn't came out yet and i remember all these fans around me jumping about singing to the words of the new songs and i was thinking how the fuck don't i know these songs i have got everything from this band and this audience know these unknown songs so well.
I think Marky must be referring to the Scargill shows at the Academy on Dec 6th and 7th. Probably a typo.
Ha yeah I was working on the LC boxset and the date of one of the live tracks was September. Trying to do two things at once. :disshame:

Anyway The Clash played Brixton Academy 7 times in 1984 I think.

March
8th
9th
10th *
16th
17th

December
6th
7th *

My mate Jim went on the 8th and 9th March gigs while I was on holiday so I was gutted but managed to get in on 10th. Bought a ticket outside the venue for face value and a pint.
* I went to those 2 both on a Saturday. The second was for the striking miners.

I never used to keep my tickets back then. I didn't even consider it 'til a mate said about it in the early 90s that he kept his and framed them.

What I do remember having though was a hand bill a whole bunch of 'em that I gave to friends.
I know what you mean there are so many tickets i wish i had kept and never did. I do wonder if at some venues they took the whole ticket at the door as i never kept some where i think i would have.

Here is my ticket that i keep proudly even though that version of the band has an ink blot on there past.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 2:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 7:57am
Heston wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 5:03am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 4:22am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Oct 2022, 5:09pm

I went Saturday 7th September 1984.

They also played Friday 6th September 1984.
I am so anal i just had to go up in the loft and search for that ticket through my old vinyls and it took hours :mrgreen: if I was sensible i would have stored it in a clash LP but no i put it in an Ian Dury LP :huh:

Ok my ticket doesnt have the year on it but the date says Saturday 17th March and the ticket cost £4 i mean that was the day when Live music was just the dogs bollocks
I imagine it must be 1984 as the album hadn't came out yet and i remember all these fans around me jumping about singing to the words of the new songs and i was thinking how the fuck don't i know these songs i have got everything from this band and this audience know these unknown songs so well.
I think Marky must be referring to the Scargill shows at the Academy on Dec 6th and 7th. Probably a typo.
Ha yeah I was working on the LC boxset and the date of one of the live tracks was September. Trying to do two things at once. :disshame:

Anyway The Clash played Brixton Academy 7 times in 1984 I think.

March
8th
9th
10th *
16th
17th

December
6th
7th *

My mate Jim went on the 8th and 9th March gigs while I was on holiday so I was gutted but managed to get in on 10th. Bought a ticket outside the venue for face value and a pint.
* I went to those 2 both on a Saturday. The second was for the striking miners.

I never used to keep my tickets back then. I didn't even consider it 'til a mate said about it in the early 90s that he kept his and framed them.

What I do remember having though was a hand bill a whole bunch of 'em that I gave to friends.
I know what you mean there are so many tickets i wish i had kept and never did. I do wonder if at some venues they took the whole ticket at the door as i never kept some where i think i would have.

Here is my ticket that i keep proudly even though that version of the band has an ink blot on there past.

Nice one mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Nick, Vince and Pete have all addressed the topic, at various intervals -- starting with my efforts, back in '93-'94, long before they reached the next level, with We Are The Clash!

You can see an initial version of them right here on my site (and also on Black Market Clash):
So rest assured, that subject has been addressed -- I haven't seen as much from Joe in print (or on video, for that matter), but that's to be expected, I think, given the uncut crap (so to speak) that he had to live down, once the whole situation fell apart.
Thank you mate. I've read several Clash book but we are the clash is new for me, because we don't have in italian language. I've just ordered on line, but i need long time to read it all

Trust me, I empathize with that issue -- but publishers are a skittish lot, overall. They're not gonna spring for the cost of a translator, and printing in the appropriate language, without assurance it'll pay off for them at the box office.

That issue hasn't come up with Akashic -- I'm speaking from past experience. I remember bringing it up when I did the Gatton book, and I got shot down pretty fast. To me, it's a bit short-sighted, depending on the subject -- I always think of Laurel & Hardy, who released 20 foreign language versions of their films (a move that broadened their international appeal significantly).

So if you want an Italian version, you may well have to show evidence of a movement -- whether it's names on a petition, or a mass email campaign, or something along that line -- and who knows? Maybe it'd happen. That'd be my advice on that score. Show them the demand, and that might make the case a bit easier to consider. As they tell any newly-minted lawyer: "Make it easy for the judge to find for you." :mrgreen:
So I think the best decision would have been to call The Clash II by a different name.
That's an understandable sentiment, one that you see referenced in a fair amount of reviews from this period. But in all honesty, I can't see how that would have worked.

Would promoters have supported ditching the Clash brand for, say, The Strummer-Simonon Collective, Combination, Experience, or whatever monicker they'd give a post-Clash band? I doubt it.

For Joe and Paul, it would have taken quite a lot, at that point in their lives and careers, to walk away from the power of the Clash name. Yes, they were effectively starting from scratch without Mick, but at least they had the name as a platform. Starting from scratch in a renamed duo, or each man on his own, would have felt less appealing.

And also, there's one factor worth pondering, as we documented in We Are The Clash -- deep down, Joe and Paul relished the challenge of life after Mick. They, along with Bernard Rhodes, felt the mission hadn't been accomplished, and still had a fair bit of mileage left in it. So why not see if they could pull it off?

After all, these were the guys who'd given us triple albums, and pre-tour disappearing acts -- so the '84 chapter wasn't gonna play out anymore predictably than the rest of their career had until then. The part where it ran aground, of course, lay in the managerial machinations, particularly when it came time to figure out who was gonna sit in the producer's chair. And we all know that movie played out!

For the latter reason, I'll have to respectfully disagree with your dismissal of TIBAD. Hearing that record, which I also bought on the heels of CTC, only made my disappointment with the latter feel more painful and palpable. Mick's use of samples and found sounds strikes me as more artful -- and musical -- than Rhodes's clumsier approximations of the technique on CTC.

For a guy who'd often gone on record as preferring hip-hop and soul to straight rock, his attempts to cop that vibe came out rather leaden and lumpen. He showed less affinity than you might expect for the genres he loved so much. You can read the book, of course, and make up your own mind. But I hope this extended response helps a bit!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 12:06pm
matedog wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 11:32am
dave202 wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 11:23am
white man wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 3:40pm
New to me
I went through to Edinburgh for the gig at La Sorbonne and earlier in the day saw them busking outside the HMV store at the entrance to the (now demolished) St. James Centre. After a few songs, the band all chatted with a few of us. For years after, anytime I went into that shop it I could feel a chill in my bones.
Very cool. Any idea where the footage was from? The description says "Gateway Exchange", but Google search wasn't helpful.
I think this helps explain what it was but not where. Apparently it was located in the Abbeyhill district of the city but unable to narrow it down further than that I'm afraid.

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/T2369
Alright, I think I got it figured out. Found some articles from the mid 80s that list the address as 2 Abbey Mount. It took me awhile to get the scales sorted out, but this appears to be the location 4-6ish Abbey Mount.
Attachments
edingburgh 1985.png
edingburgh 1985.png (780.05 KiB) Viewed 393 times
edinburgh.png
edinburgh.png (777 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 1:12pm
Low Down Low wrote:
matedog wrote:
dave202 wrote:
white man wrote:
New to me
I went through to Edinburgh for the gig at La Sorbonne and earlier in the day saw them busking outside the HMV store at the entrance to the (now demolished) St. James Centre. After a few songs, the band all chatted with a few of us. For years after, anytime I went into that shop it I could feel a chill in my bones.
Very cool. Any idea where the footage was from? The description says "Gateway Exchange", but Google search wasn't helpful.
I think this helps explain what it was but not where. Apparently it was located in the Abbeyhill district of the city but unable to narrow it down further than that I'm afraid.

Alright, I think I got it figured out. Found some articles from the mid 80s that list the address as 2 Abbey Mount. It took me awhile to get the scales sorted out, but this appears to be the location 4-6ish Abbey Mount.
Good work Andrew.😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 1:12pm
Low Down Low wrote:
matedog wrote:
dave202 wrote:
white man wrote:
New to me

Very nicely done, man.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Needs a blue plaque.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

In an interview that Joe gave to an Italian magazine, shortly before he left us, I remember he said the busking tour was one of the best moments of the Clash's career.
If I think about how certain groups today go to their heads after recording their first album...

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Amazing detective work, matey!

That second pic is a bit creepy though.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 3:42pm
Needs a blue plaque.
I like Matey too but he doesn't deserve a blue plaque just yet.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty