Clash busking in Edinburgh

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Clash busking in Edinburgh

Post by Low Down Low »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 7:44am
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 7:04am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 6:42am
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 6:13am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 4:22am

I am so anal i just had to go up in the loft and search for that ticket through my old vinyls and it took hours :mrgreen: if I was sensible i would have stored it in a clash LP but no i put it in an Ian Dury LP :huh:

Ok my ticket doesnt have the year on it but the date says Saturday 17th March and the ticket cost £4 i mean that was the day when Live music was just the dogs bollocks
I imagine it must be 1984 as the album hadn't came out yet and i remember all these fans around me jumping about singing to the words of the new songs and i was thinking how the fuck don't i know these songs i have got everything from this band and this audience know these unknown songs so well.
Saw them 3 days earlier on the 14th, my sole and cherished live Clash experience. My memories of it are a bit scattered, definitely remember Are You Redy standing out as a promising tune. There was a bit of aggro before the start but once they took the stage and settled into it, the crowd settled down and just rocked it.
I remember that song and thinking the same the one that i can remember the most of fans singing along to was We are the clash.
The standing area was over packed and health and safety today would never have allowed that many in . It felt like the pushing and shoving to get to the front was going right back to the wall behind. I have been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs and that one was the one and only gig where i could literally take my feet off the ground and be carried about by the audience,

I better get a cup of tea and a sit down as this nostalgia chat is making me get too over excited ha ha :mrgreen:

But you know what, what a great idea to go on a busking tour its a shame that the whole performances were never captured. I would have loved to be in one of them towns and seen that.
As a committed nostalgia buff, i love it mate! Similar experience to mine. I remember it seemed like an age before the band came on, there'd been a couple of false alarms and the crowd was pushing forward relentlessly and we were laughing but nervously. I remember one particular bloke was jostling his way to the front and people took one look at him and let him pass! I thought he was going to nut one of the guys i was with for not clearing a path quick enough. Anyway, long story short, i saw this geezer later on up by the stage, just moshing with everyone and enjoying it, blood caked down the side of his face. I'm sure he became an insurance salesman after and enjoyed a good career!

Totally with you on the busking tour. Love reading the fan accounts of it.
Yeah this is definitely my favourite topic i love sharing and listening to other fans stories.
I was lucky enough not to see any trouble on that night but i can remember the crowd had a very edgy feel and i did sense that trouble could have happened. I don't know if that was because it was at Brixton particularly. But just as you say as soon as the band came on that all went and nobody cared and was just interested in the music and band and what a fantastic night it was. I do remember quite a few making it on stage and diving.
Yeah, thing was having only just turned 16, it was a bit intimidating approaching this venue in a not so upmarket area and seeing these gangs of punks hanging about, but when you looked at them, you could see how well they were kitted out, maybe not designer gear exactly, but expensive clobber for sure, none of the DIY ethic of '77 anyway. So i suspected their bark was worse than their bite, but i wasn't minded to get too close to put it to the test at the same time ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 9:44am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 6:13am

Saw them 3 days earlier on the 14th, my sole and cherished live Clash experience. My memories of it are a bit scattered, definitely remember Are You Redy standing out as a promising tune. There was a bit of aggro before the start but once they took the stage and settled into it, the crowd settled down and just rocked it.
I remember that song and thinking the same the one that i can remember the most of fans singing along to was We are the clash.
The standing area was over packed and health and safety today would never have allowed that many in . It felt like the pushing and shoving to get to the front was going right back to the wall behind. I have been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs and that one was the one and only gig where i could literally take my feet off the ground and be carried about by the audience,

I better get a cup of tea and a sit down as this nostalgia chat is making me get too over excited ha ha :mrgreen:

But you know what, what a great idea to go on a busking tour its a shame that the whole performances were never captured. I would have loved to be in one of them towns and seen that.
As a committed nostalgia buff, i love it mate! Similar experience to mine. I remember it seemed like an age before the band came on, there'd been a couple of false alarms and the crowd was pushing forward relentlessly and we were laughing but nervously. I remember one particular bloke was jostling his way to the front and people took one look at him and let him pass! I thought he was going to nut one of the guys i was with for not clearing a path quick enough. Anyway, long story short, i saw this geezer later on up by the stage, just moshing with everyone and enjoying it, blood caked down the side of his face. I'm sure he became an insurance salesman after and enjoyed a good career!

Yeah this is definitely my favourite topic i love sharing and listening to other fans stories.
I was lucky enough not to see any trouble on that night but i can remember the crowd had a very edgy feel and i did sense that trouble could have happened. I don't know if that was because it was at Brixton particularly. But just as you say as soon as the band came on that all went and nobody cared and was just interested in the music and band and what a fantastic night it was. I do remember quite a few making it on stage and diving.
Yeah, thing was having only just turned 16, it was a bit intimidating approaching this venue in a not so upmarket area and seeing these gangs of punks hanging about, but when you looked at them, you could see how well they were kitted out, maybe not designer gear exactly, but expensive clobber for sure, none of the DIY ethic of '77 anyway. So i suspected their bark was worse than their bite, but i wasn't minded to get too close to put it to the test at the same time ;)
I was 4 months shy of my 14th birthday when I marched with over a 100 thousand people to Victoria Park to see The Clash. That was a big deal back then.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 5:01am
APACHES67 wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 2:35am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
03 Oct 2022, 3:58pm
That footage is so good i so enjoyed watching that.

I remember this so well and the Sun newspaper was reporting on there busking tour. One story they told was how the clash was busking outside in the streets in one town and there was The Alarm playing on tour in a local venue and the whole gig emptied so the fans could watch the clash instead. I don't know if that was true but i remember the story and i believed every word as well.
I know that no one knew when the next town was either that they would play at it was kept secret on purpose which i was disappointed about as i would have gone if i had known where they were back in the day as a youngster - i would never do anything like that now.

The sun would report on the mayhem that their busking tour brought in the streets with fans flocking to watch them but that video doesn't suggest that at all.

I saw them before the album came out and they were really good much better than any documentation or youtube clips we get to see or hear about today. So its really nice to see the band here giving a good representation of themselves.

I still remember the horror and the wtf response i had when i heard their album for the first time it was a long awaited album to hear those great songs that i heard live just to be confused and gutted at the final studio cut.
I've not understood if Joe Strummer knews or not about the real intention of Bernie to manipulate the recording and to delete the acustic drum For the recording of Cut The Crap.
I have thought about this over and over again. I just cant believe Joe knew nothing of what was going on. He wrote those songs and he believed in them , He must have known? he was a control freak and would have been there listening to the final cuts. He would have known the rest of the band were not included. He must have seen Bernies friends were used to sing the choruses. Its only when he saw the plan went to ruin and the fans were not buying the bull shit that he decided to do a runner and wash his hands of it all.
I cant see how it would be any other way

Thank you mate, but i would Like to Know if Joe or Nick Sheppard left one or more interviews about the recording of Cut The Crap...no one of them have talked about it?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 10:00am
Low Down Low wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

I was 4 months shy of my 14th birthday when I marched with over a 100 thousand people to Victoria Park to see The Clash. That was a big deal back then.
Sure was and must have been amazing to be part of that history.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 10:28am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 10:00am
Low Down Low wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Sure was and must have been amazing to be part of that history.
I will seconded that, that must have been amazing. A memory you will never forget.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

APACHES67 wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 10:25am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
APACHES67 wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

I remember this so well and the Sun newspaper was reporting on there busking tour. One story they told was how the clash was busking outside in the streets in one town and there was The Alarm playing on tour in a local venue and the whole gig emptied so the fans could watch the clash instead. I don't know if that was true but i remember the story and i believed every word as well.
I know that no one knew when the next town was either that they would play at it was kept secret on purpose which i was disappointed about as i would have gone if i had known where they were back in the day as a youngster - i would never do anything like that now.

The sun would report on the mayhem that their busking tour brought in the streets with fans flocking to watch them but that video doesn't suggest that at all.

I saw them before the album came out and they were really good much better than any documentation or youtube clips we get to see or hear about today. So its really nice to see the band here giving a good representation of themselves.

I still remember the horror and the wtf response i had when i heard their album for the first time it was a long awaited album to hear those great songs that i heard live just to be confused and gutted at the final studio cut.
I've not understood if Joe Strummer knews or not about the real intention of Bernie to manipulate the recording and to delete the acustic drum For the recording of Cut The Crap.
I have thought about this over and over again. I just cant believe Joe knew nothing of what was going on. He wrote those songs and he believed in them , He must have known? he was a control freak and would have been there listening to the final cuts. He would have known the rest of the band were not included. He must have seen Bernies friends were used to sing the choruses. Its only when he saw the plan went to ruin and the fans were not buying the bull shit that he decided to do a runner and wash his hands of it all.

Thank you mate, but i would Like to Know if Joe or Nick Sheppard left one or more interviews about the recording of Cut The Crap...no one of them have talked about it?
Its a good question but i have absolutely no idea i am not up on the clash politics side of things at all. Maybe Heston , Marky or Teddy B might be able to help you out with that one. If they dont know no one will.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 9:31am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 8:08am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 7:57am
Heston wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 5:03am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 4:22am

I am so anal i just had to go up in the loft and search for that ticket through my old vinyls and it took hours :mrgreen: if I was sensible i would have stored it in a clash LP but no i put it in an Ian Dury LP :huh:

Ok my ticket doesnt have the year on it but the date says Saturday 17th March and the ticket cost £4 i mean that was the day when Live music was just the dogs bollocks
I imagine it must be 1984 as the album hadn't came out yet and i remember all these fans around me jumping about singing to the words of the new songs and i was thinking how the fuck don't i know these songs i have got everything from this band and this audience know these unknown songs so well.
I think Marky must be referring to the Scargill shows at the Academy on Dec 6th and 7th. Probably a typo.
Ha yeah I was working on the LC boxset and the date of one of the live tracks was September. Trying to do two things at once. :disshame:

Anyway The Clash played Brixton Academy 7 times in 1984 I think.

March
8th
9th
10th *
16th
17th

December
6th
7th *

* I went to those 2 both on a Saturday. The second was for the striking miners.
Ha ha and its such a long time ago as well i wouldn't have had a clue i couldn't even remember the year let alone the date. Brilliant times all the same and i was too young to care about Mick not being there to me at that time it was all about Joe :naughty: . Obviously i have matured and understand so much more now
I don't know or care what others may think. But you just can not replace Mick! Mick's talent as a player and arranger is immense. Way more so than many other bands in my opinion. I know loads of bands have replaced members over the years when they've sadly died or left. But Mick is not replaceable.

Now I understand bands carry on but it's rare they can get close or even replicate what went before. Loads of bands still sound good and make excellent music but when there's a chemistry there then Lightning doesn't strike twice.
I couldn't agree more and as you should know i am a total purist and believe in the genuine article.

I remember telling a much older mate at work how good the Gig was and he would just say No Mick No Clash and if anything the Cut The Crap album sent that message home to me and i have always since seen the lead singer or songwriter as far too important to change.

I would also say that you only think that applies to the clash more than any other band because the Clash is the closest to you. Its really no different for other bands as well with fans that feel the same way as you.

But yes Mick is special and totally brilliant and i have always been in awe of his genius. I think its why i actually do like BAD more than the clash and i think its because BAD felt like my band i saw them on every tour multiple times from the beginning to the Globe album but have lived my life listening to each development of the band all the way. Where as the clash i was too young and although i loved the band through my school years only being able to listen to them on tapes that friends did for me meant it was different sort of understanding. When i started work at 16 i could go out on my first pay cheque and go to HMV and Virgin at Tottenham court road and buy the whole catalogue in one hit so even though i already knew all the songs it felt more real to have something physical for once.

That still doesn't take away my love of the clash too and how the band have stayed honest to their fans is unique to only them.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 11:02am
APACHES67 wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 10:25am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
APACHES67 wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Its a good question but i have absolutely no idea i am not up on the clash politics side of things at all. Maybe Heston , Marky or Teddy B might be able to help you out with that one. If they dont know no one will.
Ralph would probably be the man to ask in this instance. Or read "We Are the Clash".
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

APACHE67 you might like this interview if you don't have it. It's Nick and Pete talking about Bernie and CtC.

https://mega.nz/file/72ZSyRJA#Q3HNt-RMC ... z6JW2FOv0c

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 12:16pm
APACHE67 you might like this interview if you don't have it. It's Nick and Pete talking about Bernie and CtC.

Thank you Marky, i will read soon the interview and i will say what i think...so Joe Strummer didn't talk about the making of Cut The Crap...i 'm wandering why he decided to be silent

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

APACHES67 wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 6:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Thank you Marky, i will read soon the interview and i will say what i think...so Joe Strummer didn't talk about the making of Cut The Crap...i 'm wandering why he decided to be silent
Just my opinion but I think Joe felt guilty regards the treatment of the 3 new members. He did say much later on he hopes they weren't too messed up over the band.

But sometime during the recording process of Cut the Crap Joe knew that the record was going to be poor. The record as recorded is a disaster and a mighty fall for such a great band. Now the saving grace is some of the demos and live material. But nothing matches the Strummer/Jones/Simonon/Headon line-up. I doubt very much if any musician had joined after Topper and Mick were fired they would've fared any better than Pete, Nick & Vince regardless of talent.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 7:10pm
APACHES67 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Just my opinion but I think Joe felt guilty regards the treatment of the 3 new members. He did say much later on he hopes they weren't too messed up over the band.

But sometime during the recording process of Cut the Crap Joe knew that the record was going to be poor. The record as recorded is a disaster and a mighty fall for such a great band. Now the saving grace is some of the demos and live material. But nothing matches the Strummer/Jones/Simonon/Headon line-up. I doubt very much if any musician had joined after Topper and Mick were fired they would've fared any better than Pete, Nick & Vince regardless of talent.
Hello,

Not as much as a talent issue but more of a management issue.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
APACHES67 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hello,

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 10:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
APACHES67 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hello,

Sure but Pete, Nick and Vince deserved to be treated better than just hired hands. That busking video makes them look like a gang but the reality was something very different.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Blackmarketclash
Dirty Punk

Post by Blackmarketclash »