Clash busking in Edinburgh

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Clash busking in Edinburgh

Post by APACHES67 »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 4:37am
gkbill wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 10:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 7:10pm
APACHES67 wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 6:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 12:16pm
APACHE67 you might like this interview if you don't have it. It's Nick and Pete talking about Bernie and CtC.

https://mega.nz/file/72ZSyRJA#Q3HNt-RMC ... z6JW2FOv0c
Thank you Marky, i will read soon the interview and i will say what i think...so Joe Strummer didn't talk about the making of Cut The Crap...i 'm wandering why he decided to be silent
Just my opinion but I think Joe felt guilty regards the treatment of the 3 new members. He did say much later on he hopes they weren't too messed up over the band.

But sometime during the recording process of Cut the Crap Joe knew that the record was going to be poor. The record as recorded is a disaster and a mighty fall for such a great band. Now the saving grace is some of the demos and live material. But nothing matches the Strummer/Jones/Simonon/Headon line-up. I doubt very much if any musician had joined after Topper and Mick were fired they would've fared any better than Pete, Nick & Vince regardless of talent.
Hello,

Not as much as a talent issue but more of a management issue.
Sure but Pete, Nick and Vince deserved to be treated better than just hired hands. That busking video makes them look like a gang but the reality was something very different.
Thank you Marky for your intersting contribution, i'm downloading right now the interview you sent me, so i will read it tomorrow...when i think to Pete, Nick and Vince/Greg i feel sorry for them...from the beginning they had to face confrontation with the original Clash, that means for the majority of fans whatever they do was not good.... I belong to the minority of fans who do not compare the original Clash with The Clash II, so I can also see what good they have done...I also think like you, that they deserved better treatment, I read somewhere that Bernie often bullied them, perhaps a way to arouse creative reactions in them and maybe if all the members of Clash II had participated in the album (and had every right to it), then Cut The Crap could be considered a good record even if inferior to the original Clash. In my opinion Cut The Crap is a disappointing record, but I don't call it bad. A bad album is when all or almost all songs are boring, but in Cut The Crap half album is ugly and the rest is good...For example Movers & Shakers makes a good impression on the record, even if an acoustic drum is better than the drum machine, for example Play To Win it has some interesting arrangements, a nice bass line, percussion and something Spanish and there are interesting songs(Dirty Punk, North And South, Life Is Wild, This Is England and Cool Under Heat) the rest is ugly. Moreover outtakes like Sex Mad Roar, Do It Now, In The Pouring Rain they are up to the best Clash, if they were released on Combat Rock they would not look out of place. Thanks again Marky, later i will tell you what i think about the interview

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

APACHES67 wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 4:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 4:37am
gkbill wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 10:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 7:10pm
APACHES67 wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 6:22pm

Thank you Marky, i will read soon the interview and i will say what i think...so Joe Strummer didn't talk about the making of Cut The Crap...i 'm wandering why he decided to be silent
Just my opinion but I think Joe felt guilty regards the treatment of the 3 new members. He did say much later on he hopes they weren't too messed up over the band.

But sometime during the recording process of Cut the Crap Joe knew that the record was going to be poor. The record as recorded is a disaster and a mighty fall for such a great band. Now the saving grace is some of the demos and live material. But nothing matches the Strummer/Jones/Simonon/Headon line-up. I doubt very much if any musician had joined after Topper and Mick were fired they would've fared any better than Pete, Nick & Vince regardless of talent.
Hello,

Not as much as a talent issue but more of a management issue.
Sure but Pete, Nick and Vince deserved to be treated better than just hired hands. That busking video makes them look like a gang but the reality was something very different.
Thank you Marky for your intersting contribution, i'm downloading right now the interview you sent me, so i will read it tomorrow...when i think to Pete, Nick and Vince/Greg i feel sorry for them...from the beginning they had to face confrontation with the original Clash, that means for the majority of fans whatever they do was not good.... I belong to the minority of fans who do not compare the original Clash with The Clash II, so I can also see what good they have done...I also think like you, that they deserved better treatment, I read somewhere that Bernie often bullied them, perhaps a way to arouse creative reactions in them and maybe if all the members of Clash II had participated in the album (and had every right to it), then Cut The Crap could be considered a good record even if inferior to the original Clash. In my opinion Cut The Crap is a disappointing record, but I don't call it bad. A bad album is when all or almost all songs are boring, but in Cut The Crap half album is ugly and the rest is good...For example Movers & Shakers makes a good impression on the record, even if an acoustic drum is better than the drum machine, for example Play To Win it has some interesting arrangements, a nice bass line, percussion and something Spanish and there are interesting songs(Dirty Punk, North And South, Life Is Wild, This Is England and Cool Under Heat) the rest is ugly. Moreover outtakes like Sex Mad Roar, Do It Now, In The Pouring Rain they are up to the best Clash, if they were released on Combat Rock they would not look out of place. Thanks again Marky, later i will tell you what i think about the interview
No problem you're welcome. The album does have 5 songs maybe 6 that are salvageable with "real" instrumentation and a decent producers ear.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Apache, you really need to read "We Are the Clash."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Heston wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 6:06pm
Thank you For the suggestion Heston. Just ordered. I was looking For the italian Language but i found only the English edition

johnny2bad
Corner Soul

Post by johnny2bad »

APACHES67 wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 2:30am
Heston wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 6:06pm
Thank you For the suggestion Heston. Just ordered. I was looking For the italian Language but i found only the English edition
Fundamental reading, well written, well researched, the ultimate spotlight on Clash2

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I bet most have seen this before but this knife in the heart critical review did make me chuckle

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 6:50am
I bet most have seen this before but this knife in the heart critical review did make me chuckle

Yeah I've seen it before but he pretty much nails it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 7:53am
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Yeah I've seen it before but he pretty much nails it.
i know very little about Bernard but what comes across more than anything to me is what a bull shitter. He could easily say today you know what we tried to do something and it ended up being disastrous . There is no shame in taking risks or try and create some kind of different sound even if it does fail. But these are Bernards words about it on his web site.

The Album he describes as a - Solid Punk masterpiece
we are the clash - A slamming statement of purpose
play to win - A stunning impressionistic piece
Dirty Punk - One of the hardest best Clash assaults
North and South - The clash at their most melodic and emotionally effective
A must have and the bull shit goes on

You know with out doubt if that was produced while Mick was in the band we would all never have seen that at all it would be torched immediately,

But i have to say when the mohawk revenge first appeared i down loaded and listened on my useless Lap top speakers and thought wow this is brilliant work. Today however i listened to it properly on my music system and its blown me away. I dont care how bad the lyrics are or how raucous and shouting the choruses are i have now the album i always wanted. I love listening to mohawk album and takes me right back to those Brixton gigs. I cant see me playing Cut the crap very much now. I am even enjoying finger popping !!!
Last edited by NoMoreHugh on 06 Oct 2022, 1:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Double post

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 1:02pm
[/b]
I actally agree with this.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

NoMoreHugh wrote:

Thanks mate.... I watched and listened to the video you posted, but I remain of my opinion. Cut the Crap is a disappointing record for me, but no bad, because I like half of the songs, even if I prefer the acoustic drums, even if the choirs are often exaggerated. But think what would have happened if Mick Jones had won the dispute over the name The Clash ... in that case the last Clash record would have been This is B.A.D., a bad record of which I only like Stone Thames and E = Mc2 , where the drums are even worse than the one in Cut the Crap, where the bass player is useless, where Mick's rock guitar is heard only on occasion, where Sony is even uglier than Dictator . What a bad record This is B.A.D. , but Mick was lucky, if his band had been called The Clash his first record would have been cut even more than Cut the Crap

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

APACHES67 wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 2:08pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Thanks mate.... I watched and listened to the video you posted, but I remain of my opinion. Cut the Crap is a disappointing record for me, but no bad, because I like half of the songs, even if I prefer the acoustic drums, even if the choirs are often exaggerated. But think what would have happened if Mick Jones had won the dispute over the name The Clash ... in that case the last Clash record would have been This is B.A.D., a bad record of which I only like Stone Thames and E = Mc2 , where the drums are even worse than the one in Cut the Crap, where the bass player is useless, where Mick's rock guitar is heard only on occasion, where Sony is even uglier than Dictator . What a bad record This is B.A.D. , but Mick was lucky, if his band had been called The Clash his first record would have been cut even more than Cut the Crap
...and moreover This is B.A.D. is really full of ugly electronic effects

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Heston wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 1:59pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 1:02pm
[/b]
I actally agree with this.
Joe Strummer and Paul Simonon should have expected that after the exclusion of Topper Headon and Mick Jones the media would have crushed any record produced by Clash II, because the comparison with the original The Clash for the media was a foregone conclusion. Joe Strummer himself once drew a line that separated him and Paul on one side and Topper and Mick on the other and said: on one side are the musicians (the side where Topper and Mick were).
So I think the best decision would have been to call The Clash II by a different name. Losing Topper could have been, because Terry Chimes was fine even if at a lower level, but it doesn't matter because the project was Back To Basics, but losing Topper and Mick together was too much ... they could no longer be The Clash

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

"This Is Big Audio Dynamite" was a clever and inventive record. "Cut the Crap" was neither just a bunch of poorly executed ideas by someone who had no right being in the producers chair.

But it's wrong to think that if Mick had stayed in The Clash then we would've got a version of TIBAD. We would've got a very different sounding record. lyrics would not have been all Mick's for one and it would've sounded much different.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 2:59pm
"This Is Big Audio Dynamite" was a clever and inventive record. "Cut the Crap" was neither just a bunch of poorly executed ideas by someone who had no right being in the producers chair.

But it's wrong to think that if Mick had stayed in The Clash then we would've got a version of TIBAD. We would've got a very different sounding record. lyrics would not have been all Mick's for one and it would've sounded much different.
It's ok Marky, i said my opinion about This is B.A.D. and you said your, but i never thought that with Mick stayed in The Clash we would've got a version of TIBAD...in that case we would've got a true new Clash record. I was talking about the possibility that the new group of Mick Jones could be called The Clash because there was the court case against Paul and Joe then won by the latter as we know. I have all the B.A.D. records and i like so much F-Punk and Entering a New Ride and i appreciate the other records, but the first record of B.A.D. for me is ugly With the exception of E=Mc2 and Stone Thames as i said before.So i was saying in the event that Mick Jones won the lawsuit against Joe and Paul for using the name The Clash, we would have TIBAD with the name The Clash .... when I hear a song as bad as Sony I can't believe it is Mick