Strummer NME interview 1980

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Strummer NME interview 1980

Post by JohnS »

I found this, a Paul Du Noyer interview with Joe from December 1980 - an interesting snapshot of Clash-world at the time.
Sandinista, Hamburg riot show, how we might have got more live shows recorded if CBS had their way(!), thoughts on PiL and more.

https://www.pauldunoyer.com/joe-strumme ... interview/
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Re: Strummer NME interview 1980

Post by appleseed1 »

Outstanding find! I cannot wait to read this. Not a bad week between this in-depth interview, 002, and the surprise busking footage!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

JohnS wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 9:36pm
I found this, a Paul Du Noyer interview with Joe from December 1980 - an interesting snapshot of Clash-world at the time.
Sandinista, Hamburg riot show, how we might have got more live shows recorded if CBS had their way(!), thoughts on PiL and more.

https://www.pauldunoyer.com/joe-strumme ... interview/
Thanks for sharing this, can't wait to read it all the way through.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Neat interview. This part is slightly maddening (I know it's not 100% true, but still):
We’ve always resisted the idea of a live album. I mean, don’t you think that CBS have been on to us? In fact we’ve turned up at a gig and there’d be a mobile parked outside the gig. And all the gear would be miked up by the time we hit the venue for the soundtrack in the afternoon, and we come in and we go “What’s all this about?” “Oh, CBS’d just like to get a live” and we’d just say “Get the mikes outta here, get that truck outta here.” We’ve just refused to have anything to do with it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

matedog wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 11:59am
Neat interview. This part is slightly maddening (I know it's not 100% true, but still):
We’ve always resisted the idea of a live album. I mean, don’t you think that CBS have been on to us? In fact we’ve turned up at a gig and there’d be a mobile parked outside the gig. And all the gear would be miked up by the time we hit the venue for the soundtrack in the afternoon, and we come in and we go “What’s all this about?” “Oh, CBS’d just like to get a live” and we’d just say “Get the mikes outta here, get that truck outta here.” We’ve just refused to have anything to do with it.
I wonder how much of that was just trying to stick it to CBS a little bit.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

But I wouldn’t listen a Ramones album unless you tied me to a chair.
Outstanding.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

PatricE
Corner Soul

Post by PatricE »

Thanks for sharing, JohnS!

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

And perhaps there’s another reason. I know this helps. Sometimes you think “That’s it! That’s the last straw! I never wanna hear the word Clash again.” Then you go home and you think “Hang on a minute. We’re not gonna leave it to The Jam, are we? I know The Jam aren’t the be-all and end-all, and I’m gonna stick around to prove it.

I loved hearing that one bit of motivation that Joe had for carrying on with the band is that he didn't want The Jam to have the last word. I'm a Clash guy, but I love both bands. The rivalry has always fascinated me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

appleseed1 wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 8:36pm
And perhaps there’s another reason. I know this helps. Sometimes you think “That’s it! That’s the last straw! I never wanna hear the word Clash again.” Then you go home and you think “Hang on a minute. We’re not gonna leave it to The Jam, are we? I know The Jam aren’t the be-all and end-all, and I’m gonna stick around to prove it.

I loved hearing that one bit of motivation that Joe had for carrying on with the band is that he didn't want The Jam to have the last word. I'm a Clash guy, but I love both bands. The rivalry has always fascinated me.
Is it just because the Jam were consistently voted higher than the Clash in the end of year polls, or something deeper? Weller has said a bunch of times that Joe was a huge influence on him, I'd think Joe would normally be more gracious about that kind of thing.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 4:53pm
appleseed1 wrote:

Is it just because the Jam were consistently voted higher than the Clash in the end of year polls, or something deeper? Weller has said a bunch of times that Joe was a huge influence on him, I'd think Joe would normally be more gracious about that kind of thing.
I don't think the quote is particularly hostile, but i would be inclined to think the press coverage was rankling a bit. That's assuming the Jam were getting favourable coverage at that time while Joe and the Clash were in near perpetual outrage at the treatment they were getting, so perhaps that stoked the rivalry a bit more? Wasn't there a lot of rivalry between most of the bands at that time anyway? I always thought a good bit of it was hyped up by the press for obvious reasons.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Btw great article and thanks for posting JohnS. Love Joe comparing himself to Wyatt Earp at the beginning, the man sure had a way with cultural references.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 8:53am
Btw great article and thanks for posting JohnS. Love Joe comparing himself to Wyatt Earp at the beginning, the man sure had a way with cultural references.
Yeah, it's a fun read, and I liked that bit too. The sort of pub chat detail that some may have edited out.
The whole piece really captures the vibe of spending a few hours in the pub with the man
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 8:51am
Kory wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 4:53pm
appleseed1 wrote:

I don't think the quote is particularly hostile, but i would be inclined to think the press coverage was rankling a bit. That's assuming the Jam were getting favourable coverage at that time while Joe and the Clash were in near perpetual outrage at the treatment they were getting, so perhaps that stoked the rivalry a bit more? Wasn't there a lot of rivalry between most of the bands at that time anyway? I always thought a good bit of it was hyped up by the press for obvious reasons.
There's at least one and maybe a couple jabs at The Jam in the Pennie Smith book too, it was obviously something that Joe had on the mind nearly constantly.