London Calling Deluxe Box Set

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: London Calling Deluxe Box Set

Post by Marky Dread »

blureu wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 9:45am
This is mind blowing!
😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Wow!! Pretty amazing stuff here this and the Sandinista deluxe you did even the artwork..Thanks for all the effort and time you put into these projects Marky
Again just like a few posts said it was the Hammersmith Odeon gig i went to the first sounds amazing always was one of the top 10 Clash bootlegs for me.
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dammit Marky, just when I think you can't possibly reach a new height in Clash archival prowess, you reach a new vista. This is seriously amazing. Definitely some tasty looking nuggets that either I haven't heard or haven't heard in long enough that my cobwebbed brain doesn't recall hearing them.

As an organizational point, with both this and the S! set, I've come to really appreciate the sensibly separated and curated discs. Obviously, with digital bleeps and boops you could have done this as one big playlist (aside from the work to recreate a proper box set, I mean), but having all this broken up into digestible chunks has been a boon for someone like me who gets to measure listening time in minutes rather than hours these days. I think just unzipping all this as one long mega-album would make me feel like I'd never have time to properly enjoy it.

Anyways, thanks so much man. I've said it before, but your work keeps my passion for the Clash so much higher than it would be if all we had was CBS around to fuck us over once every half decade or so. It's amazing to be sitting here in the year 2022 and be excited at the prospect of hearing an album I've heard about 5 billion times already like I'm about to play it for the first time all over again. An almost impossible to replicate thrill.

Thank you for all you do, Marky.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dirty Harry wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 3:46pm
Wow!! Pretty amazing stuff here this and the Sandinista deluxe you did even the artwork..Thanks for all the effort and time you put into these projects Marky
Again just like a few posts said it was the Hammersmith Odeon gig i went to the first sounds amazing always was one of the top 10 Clash bootlegs for me.
Cheers DH yeah I love that show. A personal fave as I attended.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 4:38pm
Dammit Marky, just when I think you can't possibly reach a new height in Clash archival prowess, you reach a new vista. This is seriously amazing. Definitely some tasty looking nuggets that either I haven't heard or haven't heard in long enough that my cobwebbed brain doesn't recall hearing them.

As an organizational point, with both this and the S! set, I've come to really appreciate the sensibly separated and curated discs. Obviously, with digital bleeps and boops you could have done this as one big playlist (aside from the work to recreate a proper box set, I mean), but having all this broken up into digestible chunks has been a boon for someone like me who gets to measure listening time in minutes rather than hours these days. I think just unzipping all this as one long mega-album would make me feel like I'd never have time to properly enjoy it.

Anyways, thanks so much man. I've said it before, but your work keeps my passion for the Clash so much higher than it would be if all we had was CBS around to fuck us over once every half decade or so. It's amazing to be sitting here in the year 2022 and be excited at the prospect of hearing an album I've heard about 5 billion times already like I'm about to play it for the first time all over again. An almost impossible to replicate thrill.

Thank you for all you do, Marky.
Thanks for the kind words Flex appreciated. I'm really pleased that doing these things gives people the pleasure of revisiting this brilliant record one more time.

I try real hard to imagine what people might like if the record company put in the serious effort of making a genuine thought out package. Obviously it's a labour of love revisiting these things but also a realisation of just how great the band were at their peak and what amazing music they made.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 7:00pm
I try real hard to imagine what people might like if the record company put in the serious effort of making a genuine thought out package. Obviously it's a labour of love revisiting these things but also a realisation of just how great the band were at their peak and what amazing music they made.
Apart, of course, from the actual results—the sets you create—what I love about your work is exposing the ugly gap between those who control the catalogue legally and those who control it emotionally. People who love this stuff, who argue about it, whose day brightens when they hear it. It’s a beautiful and affirming example of what punk promised, that cutting out the commercial interests and making the relationship artist-music-audience is the ideal. That’s why this is better than any official release—it’s done for the right reasons and with a proper understanding of what matters to people who approach this stuff as more than commodity.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 7:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Apart, of course, from the actual results—the sets you create—what I love about your work is exposing the ugly gap between those who control the catalogue legally and those who control it emotionally. People who love this stuff, who argue about it, whose day brightens when they hear it. It’s a beautiful and affirming example of what punk promised, that cutting out the commercial interests and making the relationship artist-music-audience is the ideal. That’s why this is better than any official release—it’s done for the right reasons and with a proper understanding of what matters to people who approach this stuff as more than commodity.
Hello,

I agree with all the above wholeheartedly. I might add that the real mistake of those "with the label" don't understand that a release like Marky's could be financially successful. I'm not a businessman nor a marketer but I have to think Marky's remix would better the official 25th, 30th, 35th, whatever anniversary release in terms of sales.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 7:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I am still waiting for my $120.00 payment from you.

But seriously that is exactly it. Now it would be next to impossible for a record company to keep every fan satisfied with it's product. But I often feel short changed by the lack of commitment and effort put into these things. Sometimes there's even a lack of knowledge or care displayed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 1:57pm
Some stickers and a poster.
Hiya Marky. Lots of love was put into this, Thank You sincerely for your generosity. On a side note, again I’m wondering if you could share the names of the various fonts used in some of your custom artwork? Like, the sideways stickers, mainly the “London Calling” sharpie-looking font, and the slanted block-like “The Clash” font.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 12:49am
Marky Dread wrote:
Hiya Marky. Lots of love was put into this, Thank You sincerely for your generosity. On a side note, again I’m wondering if you could share the names of the various fonts used in some of your custom artwork? Like, the sideways stickers, mainly the “London Calling” sharpie-looking font, and the slanted block-like “The Clash” font.
The font on the stickers is "Arial Black" then put into italic style.

The London Calling sharpie-looking is not a font but a logo.
If you are asking about the pink and green "The Clash" font then that is called HOUSE-A-RAMA KINGPIN. If it's the white font then that's the same as the stickers and is Arial Black italic style.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 7:49am
TrashCityRocker wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 12:49am
Marky Dread wrote:
The font on the stickers is "Arial Black" then put into italic style.

The London Calling sharpie-looking is not a font but a logo.
If you are asking about the pink and green "The Clash" font then that is called HOUSE-A-RAMA KINGPIN. If it's the white font then that's the same as the stickers and is Arial Black italic style.
Cheers brother.

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

Amazing. Thank you Marky!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spencey wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 5:18pm
Amazing. Thank you Marky!
😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

I can't say anything new that hasn't been said already but...
HOLY SH!T!
The work and effort that you put into these projects is phenomenal.
Just can't thank you enough.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Just scrolled through the first page just to admire the artwork. Top tier stuff as ever, MD.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.