RIP Keith Levene

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Re: RIP Keith Levene

Post by IkarisOne »

JohnS wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 11:16pm
IkarisOne wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 4:54pm
I penned a tribute to the man on the SHRR blog. Check it out: https://secrethistoryofrock.blogspot.co ... never.html
A great read, improved and enhanced even more by some excellent musical selections. Thanks for sharing CK.
Glad you enjoyed it, JS

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

IkarisOne wrote:
I penned a tribute to the man on the SHRR blog. Check it out: https://secrethistoryofrock.blogspot.co ... never.html
Excellent write up, I've got Metal Box on now and reminiscing.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

coffeepotman wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 9:37am
IkarisOne wrote:
Excellent write up, I've got Metal Box on now and reminiscing.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Agree with everyone - great writeup, CK. Thank you.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 9:14pm
Within a couple years now, we've lost Andy Gill and Keith Levene, the two guys I most prominently associate with post-punk guitar. Of course there are others, but for me those two were 1a and 1b. We're blessed to retain what they left behind, but, damn, if only there was more.
I'd like to moot McGeoch for 1c. He's a little more on the traditional side, but that kind of glam influence was definitely part of post-punk too, and heavily influential.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 3:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Within a couple years now, we've lost Andy Gill and Keith Levene, the two guys I most prominently associate with post-punk guitar. Of course there are others, but for me those two were 1a and 1b. We're blessed to retain what they left behind, but, damn, if only there was more.
I'd like to moot McGeoch for 1c. He's a little more on the traditional side, but that kind of glam influence was definitely part of post-punk too, and heavily influential.
I know he regularly gets mentioned in the same breath as the other two, but I don't hear anything distinctive with him—the defect is clearly mine; I'll always be the first to admit that—so I rarely think of him as iconic as the other two.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 3:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think Will Sergeant deserves a mention. But hey what do I know.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

You know who gets my vote for number 3. He's kind of a cross between Gill, Levene and Cthulhu. Did a lot of work with Atkins, of course.

A guitarist friend of mine and I were listening to "Intravenous" and I asked what the hell kind of chord dictionary do you find those things he's playing in.

He said "a grimoire."

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Speaking of the KJ/PiL axis, this is legitimately great. Keith is on point here.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 1:04am

You know who gets my vote for number 3. He's kind of a cross between Gill, Levene and Cthulhu. Did a lot of work with Atkins, of course.

A guitarist friend of mine and I were listening to "Intravenous" and I asked what the hell kind of chord dictionary do you find those things he's playing in.

He said "a grimoire."
😈

Walker's sound is very solid kinda Levene meets Page in inspiration. Yet distinct enough to be his own. Great player.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 1:14am
Speaking of the KJ/PiL axis, this is legitimately great. Keith is on point here.

All those old fuckers came through on that one. Not nostalgic but contemporary and vital.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 7:31am
IkarisOne wrote:

All those old fuckers came through on that one. Not nostalgic but contemporary and vital.
What's so great about that track is it is literally the sum of all it's parts.

Wish there had been more.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 7:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 7:31am
IkarisOne wrote:

What's so great about that track is it is literally the sum of all it's parts.

Wish there had been more.
Yeah, I had hopes that that constellation would be more than a one-off. Oh well, don't be sad it's over and all that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just had a weird IMCT/Levene memory pop up. Back with KL was promoting his short book on his time in the Clash, he joined up here and entertained some questions. I can't remember what Chuck said to him—snotty board banter kind of stuff—and Ratty went apeshit on him privately. As in, Do you know who the fuck you're sassing off to and how lucky he's here? Ratty put on his dad hat and went to town. Good times.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 8:29am
Just had a weird IMCT/Levene memory pop up. Back with KL was promoting his short book on his time in the Clash, he joined up here and entertained some questions. I can't remember what Chuck said to him—snotty board banter kind of stuff—and Ratty went apeshit on him privately. As in, Do you know who the fuck you're sassing off to and how lucky he's here? Ratty put on his dad hat and went to town. Good times.
James interviewed Keith on his Commercial Zone 2014 project which he was making in Prague. That was a good listen. Keith was very receptive.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia