RIP Keith Levene

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: RIP Keith Levene

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 9:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 8:29am
Just had a weird IMCT/Levene memory pop up. Back with KL was promoting his short book on his time in the Clash, he joined up here and entertained some questions. I can't remember what Chuck said to him—snotty board banter kind of stuff—and Ratty went apeshit on him privately. As in, Do you know who the fuck you're sassing off to and how lucky he's here? Ratty put on his dad hat and went to town. Good times.
James interviewed Keith on his Commercial Zone 2014 project which he was making in Prague. That was a good listen. Keith was very receptive.
Link?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 9:41am
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 9:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just had a weird IMCT/Levene memory pop up. Back with KL was promoting his short book on his time in the Clash, he joined up here and entertained some questions. I can't remember what Chuck said to him—snotty board banter kind of stuff—and Ratty went apeshit on him privately. As in, Do you know who the fuck you're sassing off to and how lucky he's here? Ratty put on his dad hat and went to town. Good times.
James interviewed Keith on his Commercial Zone 2014 project which he was making in Prague. That was a good listen. Keith was very receptive.
Link?
Sadly I can't find it to upload for you. But I'm sure James will have a copy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Yes, it was very good of him to talk to me, very generous man. I haven't listened back yet, cos I had a lot to learn, but I remember the reaction being positive

https://lastexit.libsyn.com/james-talks-to-keith-levene

https://content.libsyn.com/p/a/e/4/ae4d ... 7LZGUP96OI
Last edited by Silent Majority on 15 Nov 2022, 11:47am, edited 1 time in total.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 10:44am
Yes, it was very good of him to talk to me, very generous man. I haven't listened back yet, cos I had a lot to learn, but I remember the reaction being positive

https://content.libsyn.com/p/a/e/4/ae4d ... 7LZGUP96OI
Marvellous and thanks for sharing!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I only have a vague memory of that. You got a link?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 12:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I only have a vague memory of that. You got a link?
Not off-hand, but I dig hunt for it. What was Keith’s user name here? Anyone know?

Edit: Never mind, duh, it was KeithLevene

Edit Jr.: It was in a PM, Feb 2015 (you were in the chain). Here’s the relevant bit from Ratty:
Then the Levene thing. Same day Keith regged and Maj snagged the interview date. Chuck logs on before midnight (i.e. right about when KEITH is usually lurking) and posts "Is that really him? hOw cUm hE dONt RiTe LiKE dIS?" Durr-hurr! And within about 1.4 seconds I tore him an all-caps new one over PM "IF YOU DON'T FUCKING REDACT THAT MESSAGE THIS BLOODY INSTANT YOU WILL FUCKING RUIN EVERYTHING!!! This is BIG, you little shit!" To which he promptly complied.

Then sent me another message minutes later "Ooh, ooh! I've got some questions for Keith! Let me think about it and then can you forward them to Maj, OK?. That would be really awesome."

"Why don't you ask the man yourself? Am I your courier or something?"

...and then like 2 or 3 more PM's I never responded to with Moar Kwestions for Keef...including a "wait, scratch that...no, this question is way better."
Damn but I miss Ratty. :meh:

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I need to give this one a listen. It's been ages.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 2:42pm

I need to give this one a listen. It's been ages.
What is it CK? I'm getting " The uploader has it disabled for other sites" message.

Cancel that it's now showing weird.

Yep good stuff I have it on vinyl and cd.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 15 Nov 2022, 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I remember being in Arizona in '88 and finding KL's Violent Opposition and Back to Black ep (the latter on white vinyl). It wasn't what I expected, but it grew on me, especially when I compared it to what PiL were putting out at the same time.

Dunster
Dirty Punk

Post by Dunster »

I managed to get a copy of Keef's handmade book from him.

IMG_5732 - Copy.jpg

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 4:50pm
I remember being in Arizona in '88 and finding KL's Violent Opposition and Back to Black ep (the latter on white vinyl). It wasn't what I expected, but it grew on me, especially when I compared it to what PiL were putting out at the same time.
I'm surprised a KL album even found its way to that godawful state.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Wow. Why did I write that? Sorry. RIP Keith, thanks for convincing Joe to join what would soon become the only band that mattered. Groundbreaking musician as well.
Last edited by Chuck Mangione on 18 Nov 2022, 2:39pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 3:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It was in AZ that I found an original copy of Joy Division's "Atmosphere" (the version released on that French label). Almost bought it, but I'm not a collector and I already had the Factory release. Also found (and bought) the great Wire bootleg comp, And Here It Is … Again.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 7:31pm
Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 3:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It was in AZ that I found an original copy of Joy Division's "Atmosphere" (the version released on that French label). Almost bought it, but I'm not a collector and I already had the Factory release. Also found (and bought) the great Wire bootleg comp, And Here It Is … Again.
What city was this? I have to seek out my fellow post-punkers when I'm down there. So far it's been a cultural wasteland.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

You gotta drive up to Colorado Kory!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!