The Clash II - Joe Strummer Interview

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

The Clash II - Joe Strummer Interview

Post by APACHES67 »

This interview is new For me. The Clash II in Paris 1984 , Joe Strummer interviewed from italian journalist. I admire when Joe Strummer says "stop with drugs in rock'n'roll it's For junkies, People should do something instead to wait some one else does something For them..."

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Clash II - Joe Strummer Interview

Post by Heston »

To be fair, most of the Clash's great songs would have been written on drugs. We have a lot to thank them for.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 7:53pm
To be fair, most of the Clash's great songs would have been written on drugs. We have a lot to thank them for.
If you're anti-drugs in music, you can burn Sandinista! for a start.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Yes i'm an antidrug in music and i don't burn no one of Clash records

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

It's an interesting question as to whether drugs enhanced the Clash's music or not. I tend to lean towards the belief that drugs don't actually boost creativity much if at all.

Regarding S!, I don't think drugs led the band to experiment with marimbas, steel drums, ambience, etc, but maybe drugs did cause them to think Shepard's Delight was a keeper.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Three words - The Spliff Bunker

I have no doubt the use of cannabis fuelled Joe's writing sessions.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

I think Joe Strummer is talking about cocaine, heroin, LSD and other heavy drugs . I'm agree with Joe Strummer.... these drugs are For junkies

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Heston wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 10:32am

It was definitely part of his process. The degree to which it affected the words he put on the page is less clear.

Heston

Post by Heston »

msza2 wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 11:54am
Heston wrote:

It was definitely part of his process. The degree to which it affected the words he put on the page is less clear.
Hmmm. His deep thinking and occasional word soup is classic stoner material to me.

We've got to be realistic here. Bad habits like too much coffee, cigarettes, alochol, dope etc fuelled the greatest art of the 20th century.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 9:10pm
msza2 wrote:
Heston wrote:

Hmmm. His deep thinking and occasional word soup is classic stoner material to me.

We've got to be realistic here. Bad habits like too much coffee, cigarettes, alochol, dope etc fuelled the greatest art of the 20th century.
And generated lots of stoner garbage and sometimes ended lives prematurely. Which isn't me arguing against drugs of any kind, only an ambivalence. I dislike moralizing against drugs just as I dislike romanticization of their creative effects.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

To be clear when i say i'm antidrug in music i'm talking about me, is not a moral position, if a lot of artist like drug , then that's their problem , i don't wanna convince no one, i'm proud to be out of this trend of drugs in music, i wanna be myself. I think Clash music comes from their background (their love For The Ramones, New York Dolls, Bowie...and reggae and jazz and hip hop and funky and more) , filtered by their personalities their style and the mixing of this all

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Heston wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Heston wrote:

I'm not entirely in disagreement. The things one does habitually must have some sort of impact on one's output. I just tend to think drugs (minus perhaps hardcore hallucinogens) don't have much of an impact on one's artistic output. Sure, weed can help you relax, but so can other things. The notable thing IMO is that Joe created a ritual for himself that included a relaxation element. It could have been the Yoga Bunker and he still would have come up with word soup because word soup is what he was aiming for.

Just my opinion of course.

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

It’s my video. I had it for almost 30 years on an old VHS tape.
About the interview, maybe Joe was not so in form because he lost his father just few days before.
Anyway I like me too that words about the heavy drugs and I like very much his words when he condemns the installation of NATO missiles in Europe.

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 9:16pm
Heston wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Heston wrote:

And generated lots of stoner garbage and sometimes ended lives prematurely. Which isn't me arguing against drugs of any kind, only an ambivalence. I dislike moralizing against drugs just as I dislike romanticization of their creative effects.
I'm with the doc here.

What about all the great art/music/literature where the artist etc wasn't on drugs. Let's not do those guys a disservice.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

I remember the heroin was a big problem during the 80s.
I’m sure Joe is speaking about this kind of heavy drug.
The death of Sid Vicious, the removal of Topper Headon… i think Joe was trying to warn young people to stay far from this shit and stay more concentrate about what was happening in Europe in that moment.
Don't forget, the cold war was at the top and the NATO had decided to install his missiles in Italy, West Germany and UK.

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung