The Clash II - Joe Strummer Interview

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: The Clash II - Joe Strummer Interview

Post by APACHES67 »

I'm agree with Stefano 1972. Joe was bored to see Topper annihilated by drugs, and this was of course before 1984, Joe Strummer was fighting against drugs because drug means to be slave

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Should we not just replace the word "drugs" with "heroin" here? Things would be much clearer.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 8:35pm
Should we not just replace the word "drugs" with "heroin" here? Things would be much clearer.
I agree with that, although wasn't Bernie pushing some kind of general anti-drug thing at the time?

I'm a huge fan of straight edge hardcore, so I don't hate the message, but I feel like I have a good grasp on when someone is being sincere or insincere and this era of Joe is absolute peak era bullshitting insincerity.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Heston wrote:
Hi Heston , don't worry, i've already specified in 26 Dec 2022, 11:20am post that i'm talking of heavy drugrs...and it's not only heroin.... of course i can't do a complete list of heavy drugs which i'm referring to, but to be clear again HEAVY DRUGS and i can add you that Stefano1972 in 29 Dec 2022, 11:47am post specified HEAVY DRUGS.
And It's just what Joe Strummer is referring to

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Flex wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 10:23pm
Heston wrote:
I agree with that, although wasn't Bernie pushing some kind of general anti-drug thing at the time?

I'm a huge fan of straight edge hardcore, so I don't hate the message, but I feel like I have a good grasp on when someone is being sincere or insincere and this era of Joe is absolute peak era bullshitting insincerity.
Hi Flex , I feel Joe Strummer is sincere, i believe in honesty of thought of Joe. About Joe you could disagree, you could say he's wronging, but please don't write Joe was not sincere, it's not right....you overlook the fact that because of the (heavy) drug Topper could no longer play with The Clash and how many friends of Joe died for (heavy)drugs? So Joe Strummer was sicerly angry with (heavy)drugs

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

APACHES67 wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 6:15am
Hi Flex , I feel Joe Strummer is sincere, i believe in honesty of thought of Joe. About Joe you could disagree, you could say he's wronging, but please don't write Joe was not sincere, it's not right....you overlook the fact that because of the (heavy) drug Topper could no longer play with The Clash and how many friends of Joe died for (heavy)drugs? So Joe Strummer was sicerly angry with (heavy)drugs
Hi Apache, no offense intended to you or Joe, certainly. I agree he was reacting (correctly) to Topper's struggles, but I just think with anything Joe says around 1984/1985 we need to keep in mind that he was dealing with a lot of personal turmoil himself as well as the manipulations of Bernie, and I think over the years he's walked back a lot of his most hardline positions from this time period. His sense of empathy and the pain he feels as he sees someone wreck their life because of heroin is very much a Joe Strummer humanist response. However, becoming a total anti-drug advocate feels a lot more like Bernie to me. That's just my sense of it, I don't mean to take away anything from anyone who reacts positively to the stuff Joe was saying in 84/85 (certainly, he still said plenty I agree with).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

To me, the biggest benefit of drugs and songwriting isn't that they increase the writer's creativity, but they often do a handy job of clearing the mind of distractions and anxieties which allows greater concentration, which often leads to better results. I know I have a hell of a time writing music when I'm thinking about shit from work or relationships or whatever.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 6:40pm
To me, the biggest benefit of drugs and songwriting isn't that they increase the writer's creativity, but they often do a handy job of clearing the mind of distractions and anxieties which allows greater concentration, which often leads to better results. I know I have a hell of a time writing music when I'm thinking about shit from work or relationships or whatever.
Hi Kory. I'm sorry but you missed the point. Here we are talking about heavy drugs, the ones that led to the death of many artists, for example Sid Vicious, the one that drove Topper Headon away from the Clash and almost killed him

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

APACHES67 wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 8:17pm
Kory wrote:
Hi Kory. I'm sorry but you missed the point. Here we are talking about heavy drugs, the ones that led to the death of many artists, for example Sid Vicious, the one that drove Topper Headon away from the Clash and almost killed him
No point missed, I was just responding to earlier posts that referenced drugs in general. But I am also including painkillers in this, so it's relevant on that front as well.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 8:33pm
APACHES67 wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 8:17pm
Kory wrote:
No point missed, I was just responding to earlier posts that referenced drugs in general. But I am also including painkillers in this, so it's relevant on that front as well.
Ah ok, i thought you was responding about Joe Strummer opinion about heavy drugs