"London Calling (2012 Mix)" no longer available on HDTracks?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
400metres
Corner Soul

"London Calling (2012 Mix)" no longer available on HDTracks?

Post by 400metres »

Thanks to a fair amount of internet sleuthing I thought I had finally tracked down a digital version of the "London Calling (2012 Mix)" with the spoken word intro to go along with my red vinyl "Hits Back", but after downloading both versions currently available on HDTracks it looks like it was swapped out for the standard version at some point, even on the hi-res release? I was hoping someone here could at least confirm that it was the 3:24 version at some point. I haven't been able to find it anywhere else out there...

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Re: "London Calling (2012 Mix)" no longer available on HDTracks?

Post by Mark^Bastard »

I didn't even know about this mix!

After googling around I found this interesting fan edit

400metres
Corner Soul

Post by 400metres »

It was originally released for Record Store Day in 2012 on a 7". The mix isn't radically different. It features a spoken word intro by Strummer and a cymbal count-in, then the guitars are a little bit more in the foreground and the ending is slightly extended. Still a cool alternate version. It seems like it was intended to be on "Hits Back" because every available digital release of the album has the track still incorrectly labelled as "2012 Mix" when it's really just the original version. The only versions that included the true alternate mix were the red vinyl version and the original HDTracks download. I confirmed with HDTracks directly that at some point the 3:24 version they had was replaced with the standard 3:19 version by the record label. I don't suppose anyone here was lucky enough to download and preserve the original version of the HDTracks release a decade ago?

All that seems to exist now is a vinyl rip of the RSD single on YouTube. Frustrating to know that it was out there in 24/96 quality at some point. I can't really imagine it seeing the light of day again in an official capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEYHKu8s37M

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

I've got the 7inch with it on I think...I could do a rip for you when I get chance....

400metres
Corner Soul

Post by 400metres »

Thanks. I did a rip from my red vinyl copy of "Hits Back" but was looking for the clean digital copy if possible since I purchased the latest version off of HDTracks to go along with it. I appreciate the offer though!

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 11:06pm

That's great, thanks for posting.

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

I have the "Tonight's news will be read by Barry Baker" version on my phone. It's 3:20

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mark^Bastard wrote:

It's on the London Calling box set I put together last year. So yep you've heard it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

400metres wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 9:52am
It was originally released for Record Store Day in 2012 on a 7". The mix isn't radically different. It features a spoken word intro by Strummer and a cymbal count-in, then the guitars are a little bit more in the foreground and the ending is slightly extended. Still a cool alternate version. It seems like it was intended to be on "Hits Back" because every available digital release of the album has the track still incorrectly labelled as "2012 Mix" when it's really just the original version. The only versions that included the true alternate mix were the red vinyl version and the original HDTracks download. I confirmed with HDTracks directly that at some point the 3:24 version they had was replaced with the standard 3:19 version by the record label. I don't suppose anyone here was lucky enough to download and preserve the original version of the HDTracks release a decade ago?

All that seems to exist now is a vinyl rip of the RSD single on YouTube. Frustrating to know that it was out there in 24/96 quality at some point. I can't really imagine it seeing the light of day again in an official capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEYHKu8s37M
It was also released as a very limited 4 track cd single promo. That has 2 extra mixes by Mick Jones "Live By the River mix" and "Faraway Towns mix".

Though the lead track is the original mix.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 07 Jan 2023, 4:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 9:52am
Mark^Bastard wrote:

It's on the London Calling box set I put together last year. So yep you've heard it.
Ahh that is good to know. Thanks for pointing it out

400metres
Corner Soul

Post by 400metres »

yetaca wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 4:17pm
I have the "Tonight's news will be read by Barry Baker" version on my phone. It's 3:20
If I had to guess, that would probably be one of the original vinyl rips of the RSD single that circulated after its release. I read somewhere that some of them ran a little fast because of the speed of the turntable they were recorded on. My best evidence that the original HDTracks release was 3:24 as opposed to the standard 3:19 is from the metadata listed on the Dynamic Range DB:

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/49817