"Special guest ... Joe Strummer"

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
appleseed1
Sightsee MC

"Special guest ... Joe Strummer"

Post by appleseed1 »

I was listening to this Damned show from October 3rd, 1982, in Reading and Captain Sensible announces Joe Strummer as a special guest at the end of the 10th track. He then apologized to the crowd when he couldn't get him up on stage. I have no idea if Joe was actually there or if Sensible was just having a laugh with the crowd as he's apt to do. It sounded like he was trying to tempt someone up onto stage, though, so maybe Joe was there? It's a good show nonetheless. The recording is a bit muddy, but listenable.

https://www.guitars101.com/threads/the- ... st-3765523

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Re: "Special guest ... Joe Strummer"

Post by appleseed1 »

Never mind. Captain Sensible must've been having a laugh. The Clash were in America that October. (I was just browsing their tour dates. I didn't realize they played in Vermont in '82. I knew The Clash II made it there, though.)

Sensible was probably making a joke of the fact that The Clash were starting the Who tour.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Thanks for sharing. Regardless of missing guest stars, that is a good era for the Damned. MGE then the Black Album and then Strawberries was a great run.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 7:31pm
I was listening to this Damned show from October 3rd, 1982, in Reading and Captain Sensible announces Joe Strummer as a special guest at the end of the 10th track. He then apologized to the crowd when he couldn't get him up on stage. I have no idea if Joe was actually there or if Sensible was just having a laugh with the crowd as he's apt to do. It sounded like he was trying to tempt someone up onto stage, though, so maybe Joe was there? It's a good show nonetheless. The recording is a bit muddy, but listenable.

Captain was taking the piss. I was at the Top Rank gig and never saw Joe in the crowd. Captain would sometimes wear a self made shirt that said "Strummer is a bummer".Typical Captain humour. In recent times Captain has also said how much he loved The Clash and wished he had been the band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

laxman wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 4:09am
Thanks for sharing. Regardless of missing guest stars, that is a good era for the Damned. MGE then the Black Album and then Strawberries was a great run.
Completely agree. They were on fire. I love the MCA period as well, but that initial run with the Captain-led band was incredible.

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 6:24am
appleseed1 wrote:

Captain was taking the piss. I was at the Top Rank gig and never saw Joe in the crowd. Captain would sometimes wear a self made shirt that said "Strummer is a bummer".Typical Captain humour. In recent times Captain has also said how much he loved The Clash and wished he had been the band.
Very cool! I hope I can get to see The Damned again. I still haven't went to any gigs since covid kicked off, but if they make it back to the US with Sensible I'll heavily consider it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 1:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
appleseed1 wrote:

Very cool! I hope I can get to see The Damned again. I still haven't went to any gigs since covid kicked off, but if they make it back to the US with Sensible I'll heavily consider it.
I love The Damned I've seen them more than any other band. But I've not seen them live in the last 5 years. Would've liked to have seen the original line-up recent shows. Had to settle for a 5 cd box set instead.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Got a ticket to see them in April, the Nightingales supporting.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

appleseed1 wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 8:53pm
Never mind. Captain Sensible must've been having a laugh. The Clash were in America that October. (I was just browsing their tour dates. I didn't realize they played in Vermont in '82. I knew The Clash II made it there, though.)

Sensible was probably making a joke of the fact that The Clash were starting the Who tour.
Just Cap being Cap.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 1:48pm
I love The Damned I've seen them more than any other band. But I've not seen them live in the last 5 years. Would've liked to have seen the original line-up recent shows. Had to settle for a 5 cd box set instead.
I have the CD box set, too. I think the Manchester gig is the best one.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 4:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I have the CD box set, too. I think the Manchester gig is the best one.
I nearly went to that and then deeply regretted not going because ic1960 absolutely raved about how good it was. I bought the CD, so some consolation!

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
appleseed1 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
appleseed1 wrote:

Same. I've flown all over the US to see them. I've always tried to catch them on every US tour. 2017 in Atlanta was my last time. They were scheduled to play a festival about an hour away from me in 2018. Not having to make a big trek to see them was going to be amazing, but they had to pull out before it ever happened. I never heard the full story but my impression based on other cancellations was that the festival couldn't pull everything together on their end.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 1:13am
Marky Dread wrote:
appleseed1 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
appleseed1 wrote:

Same. I've flown all over the US to see them. I've always tried to catch them on every US tour. 2017 in Atlanta was my last time. They were scheduled to play a festival about an hour away from me in 2018. Not having to make a big trek to see them was going to be amazing, but they had to pull out before it ever happened. I never heard the full story but my impression based on other cancellations was that the festival couldn't pull everything together on their end.
That's great commitment. I doubt I would have ever seen them if I had to fly to gigs. Majority of the gigs were in London which was a 35 mins train journey from where I lived. When they played in Reading where I was living it was a 10-15 mins walk to gigs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia