Overpowered by funk REMIX

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Re: Overpowered by funk REMIX

Post by Chairman Ralph »

OBF is a funny one — the blocky synth doubling the bass and "peeeyooooownns" on the album version kind of suck, but the tune itself is pretty fantastic. Really wish they played this more live, beyond the one-off at Mogador.
Isn't there also a one-off version from the '82 US tour? I distinctly remember a live review in Musician that references OBF. Not that that's ironclad evidence, since it's claimed on the setlist for 8-12-82 (Aragon Ballroom) -- though I just checked that one out on YouTube, and it doesn't pop up after Armagideon Time (as alleged).

Anyway, the above reasons are exactly why OBF was never one of my favorites -- it sounded undercooked and half-baked on CR, to my ears. There's a decent song fighting to get out, but in that guise? Didn't stand a chance.

That said, BB, I like your work on this. You bring out subtleties that get smothered under all those horribly squishy synths -- no wonder Joe finally lost patience with Mick, eh? :mrgreen: Though he seemed well into that type of sound, too, at the time. And you did a nice job of intercutting the video, too. Good stuff!

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Overpowered by funk REMIX

Post by bazarboy75 »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 4:34pm
That said, BB, I like your work on this. You bring out subtleties that get smothered under all those horribly squishy synths -- no wonder Joe finally lost patience with Mick, eh? :mrgreen: Though he seemed well into that type of sound, too, at the time. And you did a nice job of intercutting the video, too. Good stuff!
that for sure that synth sound don't get old too good
and when you think that it must have been cutting edge at the time, it makes you think
punch that drum was another story
Thx for your feedback mate !