Nirvana does "Should I Stay or Should I Go"

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Nirvana does "Should I Stay or Should I Go"

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 9:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 9:19pm
I will always associate Living Color with being accused by a classmate of being racist because I didn’t think they were a great group. (Good lord, was I cancelled and didn’t even know it?!?!)
Nah, the way you can tell if you've been canceled is if you were canceled you'd have 5 new York times op-eds about your experience and a book deal.
Damn, my bank account could do with a cancelling.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Maxym
Corner Soul

Post by Maxym »

I wasn't even convinced that was Cobain's voice...
But Shazam recognised it Nirvana...

Quite boring... Like... Nirvana's catalog is a mix of brillant and boring/unlistenable stuff to me...
Used to be on Clash forums in early 2000s (different nickname), then they closed and/or I lost track (I don't remember exactly).

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

About covers, i bought this lp in the 1991
Attachments
C5069F5B-2A3F-4B41-BA91-EA6BE589E0B4.jpeg
FC3C68D0-DC93-4997-A65E-235AA0444360.jpeg

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 2:08am
About covers, i bought this lp in the 1991
I've got that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I've got that.
So do I, though I'm hard pressed to remember much about it, beyond the Attila and Moonflowers tracks. What do you think of it? Is it one you ever play much?
I stumbled on it earlier so thought it belonged here. Not my bag.
I liked Living Colour, but this doesn't do anything for me, either. Especially those Cliche 101 squealing metal leads that they pepper this version with.

That being said, I saw them on all their tours for their first three albums -- they did this song regularly live, as well, and it was way better there. They pulled it out as an encore, as part of a medley with "What's Your Favorite Color?", another first album track that really came alive onstage. Their albums don't really capture that vibe, though I prefer the first one, by a mile.

I agree that Nirvana's cover doesn't make it, when you stack it up against their others, though I don't think they ever intended anybody to hear it. In a strange way, it reminds of the Germs' demolition of "Sugar Sugar," but I'd still put it above the Cooltrane Quartet cover, which is way different, but not in a way that makes me want to hear it again. At least Kurt and company sound like they're having fun!

Still, it's amusing to hear people finding so many different ways of playing such a well-known song so badly. Even Tom Petty seems to struggle with getting the words right -- another common denominator of these -- but it shouldn't be that hard. it's not like there's a million of them to remember!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 5:19am
I've got that.
So do I, though I'm hard pressed to remember much about it, beyond the Attila and Moonflowers tracks. What do you think of it? Is it one you ever play much?

Nope not really. I really like The Indestructible Beat take of "Capital Radio" as that's a follow on for Steve Drewett from Newtown Neurotics but I have that on the Indestructible Beat "Disgraceland" cd.

As for that Living Colour cover of SISoSIG I think it's terrible.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Nope not really. I really like The Indestructible Beat take of "Capital Radio" as that's a follow on for Steve Drewett from Newtown Neurotics but I have that on the Indestructible Beat "Disgraceland" cd.

Ah, yeah, I'd forgotten that one -- I haven't heard much of Steve's post-Neurotics work, though I'm sure it's not hard to track down.

My point about the Living Colour version of Should I Stay is that it doesn't work for me, because that herky-jerky thrash transition doesn't feel natural. It comes off as, "Hey, we're doing this, because, well -- we couldn't work out what else to do."

I mean, honestly, it's not necessary. I don't recall them doing it that way live, where it just seemed like a fun take on a well-known song, where it sounded more natural, or at least natural for them, if that makes any sense. That's what I'm saying there.

That's why, in certain cases, it's best to stick with the original -- to put it another way, the world isn't always waiting for the heavy metal bluegrass mambo version of something or other. At least, I'm not!

Which is why the Tom Petty version sounds best to me, out of all these, and I'm not a huge fan of him, necessarily -- but at least he realized it didn't need to change a lot. The only problem being, he butchers the words, which tends to undermine the whole "back to basics" vibe he seemed to be shooting for there.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 8:26am

Ah, yeah, I'd forgotten that one -- I haven't heard much of Steve's post-Neurotics work, though I'm sure it's not hard to track down.

My point about the Living Colour version of Should I Stay is that it doesn't work for me, because that herky-jerky thrash transition doesn't feel natural. It comes off as, "Hey, we're doing this, because, well -- we couldn't work out what else to do."

I mean, honestly, it's not necessary. I don't recall them doing it that way live, where it just seemed like a fun take on a well-known song, where it sounded more natural, or at least natural for them, if that makes any sense. That's what I'm saying there.

That's why, in certain cases, it's best to stick with the original -- to put it another way, the world isn't always waiting for the heavy metal bluegrass mambo version of something or other. At least, I'm not!

Which is why the Tom Petty version sounds best to me, out of all these, and I'm not a huge fan of him, necessarily -- but at least he realized it didn't need to change a lot. The only problem being, he butchers the words, which tends to undermine the whole "back to basics" vibe he seemed to be shooting for there.
Yeah It's basically a rock n roll song and that herky-jerky has a feel of simply trying way too hard to make the song different for the sake of it.
I mean the songs own influences being "Little Latin Lupe Lu" and "Sophistication" are in a rock n roll tradition that doesn't require any changes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Right, exactly! Listening to that Living Colour attempt made me think, "Guys, what are you doing? You're overcooking the egg. Everything you need is right there." There are times when something doesn't need to change a lot. This song exemplifies that notion.

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

IkarisOne wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 1:30pm

Fun fact: Combat Rock was one of Kurt Cobain's favorite albums.
That was one of the longer 2 minutes and 23 seconds I've encountered.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

appleseed1 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 2:45pm
IkarisOne wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 1:30pm

Fun fact: Combat Rock was one of Kurt Cobain's favorite albums.
That was one of the longer 2 minutes and 23 seconds I've encountered.
:lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

About cover, i like this version of Washington Bullets

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

HumphreyBear
Corner Soul

Post by HumphreyBear »

Lucinda Williams did a stomping version of SISOSIG as the last song in her set a few years ago.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

gkbill wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 8:59pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 8:51pm
SISOSIG was played live from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers during their ‘87 US tour. I have an official cd single of the Living Colour where they play this song. But it’s the first time i heart a version of SISOSIG from Nirvana… anyway it can be interesting a playlist with Clash songs played from other artists.
I have Train In Vain played from Annie Lennox and Clampdown from the Strokes, but there’s also Jail Guitar Doors played from Primal Scream, London Calling from Bruce Springsteen and The Guns of Brixton from the Nouvelle Vague.
P.s. Jimmy Jazz from Carla Bruni :mrgreen:
P.p.s Know Your Rights from Pearl Jam
Hello,

Add this to your collection of covers. This is my favorite cover of Guns of Brixton.

That EP and Album are both great.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 7:22pm
So bad I thought it was The Replacements.
Definitely a Replacements tossed off vibe to it. Per the selist (https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nirvana/ ... 67e3c.html) looks like it was in the middle of a bunch of random ass covers towards the end of the show - Run to the Hills, Heartbreaker, We Will Rock You, Seasons in the Sun, Kids in America, 867-5309, and Rio. I wouldn't take any offense to this performance or give it any kind of weight or importance.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.