Wake Up EP + Billy Bragg & Freinds

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Wake Up EP + Billy Bragg & Freinds

Post by Marky Dread »

This was requested elsewhere but I think more folks will see it here possibly. Very pertinent to these modern times. I'll leave it up for a week.

https://mega.nz/file/bjgHBKYb#bPCZc7DS9 ... H5EJ0cy06o
Attachments
Wake Up Fanzine Presents Billy Bragg & Friends - Wake Up EP [iTunes].jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Wake Up EP + Billy Bragg & Freinds

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thanks very much for sharing! As William Faulkner wrote, “The past is never dead; it’s not even past.”
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 11:58am
Thanks very much for sharing! As William Faulkner wrote, “The past is never dead; it’s not even past.”
Listening to this earlier made me feel quite sad. Not that the music isn't fantastic but that we seem to have learned nothing from past events.

NHS, postal workers, train drivers, fire fighters all striking for better conditions. Support them if you can people.

Kick out the Tories!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 11:44am
This was requested elsewhere but I think more folks will see it here possibly. Very pertinent to these modern times. I'll leave it up for a week.

Thanks Marky. I think I have some of this on an old cassette somewhere

This will be an upgrade

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 3:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 11:44am

Thanks Marky. I think I have some of this on an old cassette somewhere

This will be an upgrade
👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Thanks Marky!

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Thank you Marky!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Thanks, Marky!

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Listening to this earlier made me feel quite sad. Not that the music isn't fantastic but that we seem to have learned nothing from past events.

NHS, postal workers, train drivers, fire fighters all striking for better conditions. Support them if you can people.

Kick out the Tories!
Thanks, Marky! Funnily enough, I'm about to start work on a comic/zine which makes that very point, which has also crossed my mind quite a bit, in light of the midterms.

One of the most dramatic outcomes happened right here in Michigan, where voters gave our Democratic Governor majorities in both houses, for the first time in 40 years!

We also have a Democratic majority Supreme Court, which led to the overturning of the 1931 abortion ban that was considered one of the most draconian in the country, though it had never actually been enforced -- which had been due to change, in light of what happened last summer.

But yeah, to put it mildly, it might help if people picked up the learning curve a bit faster at certain points in our history. :mrgreen:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 4:49pm

Kick out the Tories!
Thanks, Marky! Funnily enough, I'm about to start work on a comic/zine which makes that very point, which has also crossed my mind quite a bit, in light of the midterms.

One of the most dramatic outcomes happened right here in Michigan, where voters gave our Democratic Governor majorities in both houses, for the first time in 40 years!

We also have a Democratic majority Supreme Court, which led to the overturning of the 1931 abortion ban that was considered one of the most draconian in the country, though it had never actually been enforced -- which had been due to change, in light of what happened last summer.

But yeah, to put it mildly, it might help if people picked up the learning curve a bit faster at certain points in our history. :mrgreen:
Cheers Ralph glad you got it. Would like to read that comic/zine when finished. Good luck with it.😎👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Cheers Ralph glad you got it. Would like to read that comic/zine when finished. Good luck with it.😎👍
Thanks! I'll tap you on the shoulder when that happens.

It's actually the third one I've done -- I finished one on the history of Fred Smith/Sonic's Rendezvous, which I'm preparing to send out for reviews, whatever ones I can get, and I'm halfway through another one on the Mod Revival. It's the story of "Three Bands Tonite" (The DIrection), told from the viewpoint of the bands involved.

All of them feature a mixture of drawing and collage, which makes them a bit different to what's out there. So there's a lot going on at the moment, but I'm trying to make the most of my time -- especially since I also survived a screening the other week, which turned up nothing scary or nasty. In other words, no signs of the C-word.

So it's been quite an eventful last few months, though not always for the reasons I'd have preferred! But I'm glad to have come out on the right side of that result.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 5:09pm
Thanks! I'll tap you on the shoulder when that happens.

It's actually the third one I've done -- I finished one on the history of Fred Smith/Sonic's Rendezvous, which I'm preparing to send out for reviews, whatever ones I can get, and I'm halfway through another one on the Mod Revival. It's the story of "Three Bands Tonite" (The DIrection), told from the viewpoint of the bands involved.

All of them feature a mixture of drawing and collage, which makes them a bit different to what's out there. So there's a lot going on at the moment, but I'm trying to make the most of my time -- especially since I also survived a screening the other week, which turned up nothing scary or nasty. In other words, no signs of the C-word.

So it's been quite an eventful last few months, though not always for the reasons I'd have preferred! But I'm glad to have come out on the right side of that result.
Firstly real glad all went well with your screening. Great news

Secondly those zines both sound excellent especially the mod one. I have a fair few mod revival albums cds etc. The Chords were/are probably my fave of those bands. But there are loads of good ones like Purple Hearts/Secret Affair/The Direction/Long Tall Shorty/The Circles/The Merton Parkas. So would definitely like a read of that one. 😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Yes, it was, after living in that netherworld of knowing/not knowing for months -- it was scheduled back in December, so I had ample time late at night to contemplate whatever scenarios I (didn't) want to contemplate. :mrgreen: So I'm glad it worked out for the best.
econdly those zines both sound excellent especially the mod one. I have a fair few mod revival albums cds etc. The Chords were/are probably my fave of those bands. But there are loads of good ones like Purple Hearts/Secret Affair/The Direction/Long Tall Shorty/The Circles/The Merton Parkas. So would definitely like a read of that one. 😎
Yeah, I'd share your enthusiasm for the Chords, and all the others you mentioned, too -- I've been playing The Directions' 2-CD retrospective since I got it, which made me want to do a comic about them. There's a real interesting story there, in that it parallels so many bands -- always one break or two, seemingly, from world domination, but not quite making it.

The third one will cover the rise of 2-Tone, and efforts to oust Thatcher via Red Wedge. It will be told through the eyes of an expat who ends up in the US, and gets caught up in the vortex of far right-related madness here, via his grandkids, who have issues of their own. That's my initial idea, anyway.

On top of all this -- the third issue of my current 'zine, Desperate Times, will focus on all things Mod as the driving theme. I'm calling it "Make Mine Mod," or something along those lines. I've already gathered a fair amount of arcana, interviews, and archival stuff for that one.

I keep stumbling on a lot of interesting material since I've started working on these things. For instance, via the Stand Up And Spit blog, which focuses on ranting poetrey/spoken word, I found a 2-page NME feature from '81, about the March for Jobs. Evidently, the Quads got actively involved in it, having put out a single with unemployment as the theme -- they're quoted extensively in there.

I don't know if I'll allude to it, or make it a sidebar in the comic, but it's interesting to note that, for a music scene and movement often dismissed as insubstantial, some of the bands involved did quite a bit. And were socially aware than their critics cared to admit.

So, yeah, anyway, you'll be among the first to know when all these things come to fruition!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 8:24pm
Yes, it was, after living in that netherworld of knowing/not knowing for months -- it was scheduled back in December, so I had ample time late at night to contemplate whatever scenarios I (didn't) want to contemplate. :mrgreen: So I'm glad it worked out for the best.
econdly those zines both sound excellent especially the mod one. I have a fair few mod revival albums cds etc. The Chords were/are probably my fave of those bands. But there are loads of good ones like Purple Hearts/Secret Affair/The Direction/Long Tall Shorty/The Circles/The Merton Parkas. So would definitely like a read of that one. 😎
Yeah, I'd share your enthusiasm for the Chords, and all the others you mentioned, too -- I've been playing The Directions' 2-CD retrospective since I got it, which made me want to do a comic about them. There's a real interesting story there, in that it parallels so many bands -- always one break or two, seemingly, from world domination, but not quite making it.

The third one will cover the rise of 2-Tone, and efforts to oust Thatcher via Red Wedge. It will be told through the eyes of an expat who ends up in the US, and gets caught up in the vortex of far right-related madness here, via his grandkids, who have issues of their own. That's my initial idea, anyway.

On top of all this -- the third issue of my current 'zine, Desperate Times, will focus on all things Mod as the driving theme. I'm calling it "Make Mine Mod," or something along those lines. I've already gathered a fair amount of arcana, interviews, and archival stuff for that one.

I keep stumbling on a lot of interesting material since I've started working on these things. For instance, via the Stand Up And Spit blog, which focuses on ranting poetrey/spoken word, I found a 2-page NME feature from '81, about the March for Jobs. Evidently, the Quads got actively involved in it, having put out a single with unemployment as the theme -- they're quoted extensively in there.

I don't know if I'll allude to it, or make it a sidebar in the comic, but it's interesting to note that, for a music scene and movement often dismissed as insubstantial, some of the bands involved did quite a bit. And were socially aware than their critics cared to admit.

So, yeah, anyway, you'll be among the first to know when all these things come to fruition!
Thanks Ralph appreciated. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Thanks! Seeing Mr Bragg for the first time in a couple of months, after several years of reschedules due to Covid. He's playing the first three albums on the night I'm seeing him.