New song from Simmo and Galen

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: New song from Simmo and Galen

Post by Flex »

Lol, I broke ChatGPT
Attachments
Screenshot_20230222-182401.png
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 8:48pm
Thought I'd try something:
Flex wrote:If I was a big clash fan and I encountered Paul Simonon at a a pub and he was playing new music but it sucked, what should I do if I didn't want to be a rude bitch?
ChatGPT wrote:If you didn't enjoy Paul Simonon's new music, you can still be respectful and polite. You could try to find something positive to say about the performance, such as complimenting his stage presence or the quality of the sound system. Alternatively, you could ask him about his creative process and what inspired him to write the new music, which may give you a better understanding of where he was coming from.

If you don't want to engage in a conversation about the new music, you could simply thank him for the opportunity to hear it and wish him the best of luck with his future projects. Remember that music is subjective and what you don't like may be enjoyed by others, so it's important to be respectful and considerate of the artist's efforts.
Well, there you have it.
I'm going to keep "what a great sound system!" in my back pocket for the next time I see a friend play crap music live.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 9:24pm
Lol, I broke ChatGPT
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 2:19pm
Silent Majority wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 2:11pm
It's pleasant. I really like how he's learnt to use his voice.
I'm sure can hear a bit of Albarn's influence in there. Yeah, it's pleasant enough without pulling up any trees.
Damon's on the album. Don't know if he's on that track. But the influence is obvious. I think it's quite risonable. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

seems I may be in the minority here, but ive had it on repeat since hearing. between this and Don Letts latest, im looking forward

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

That's a very nice song. I dig it

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Works for me -- I was somewhat familiar with Galen's work before this track dropped, so in that sense, it's not a huge departure from what she's done in the past.

Paul's voice is definitely the biggest surprise here -- sounds like he's worked out what to do with it. No Red Angel Dragnet-style maneuvers going on here! :mrgreen: It'll be interesting to see what else they come up with, but going by this, I'd want to hear more.

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

Good to see Simmo active and good to hear new music from him. The song didn't really do much for me, but like you guys said "Hey, it's Simmo" (In Fonzie's voice).

The video is shot in Deia, Mallorca where Simonon has his holiday home. We were on the island with the family last summer. Knowing Simonon hangs out there in Deia / Soller, I wanted to do a bit of good natured fanboy stalking and have a look at his hood. Goddammit those towns in the Serra de Tramuntana are packed with tourists and their vehicles. There was literally no stretch of ground to park, so we ended up just driving non stop through both Soller and Deia. So much for the stalking then. Apparently a very, very posh place with half the English pop and rock royalty spending holidays there. Anyways, the mountains are amazing and it was definitely a worthwhile roadtrip.
- Pilled up and rrattling -

Mike77
Corner Soul

Post by Mike77 »

Looks like the full album is due out May 19

https://store.galenandpaul.com/

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

The video is shot in Deia, Mallorca where Simonon has his holiday home. We were on the island with the family last summer. Knowing Simonon hangs out there in Deia / Soller, I wanted to do a bit of good natured fanboy stalking and have a look at his hood. Goddammit those towns in the Serra de Tramuntana are packed with tourists and their vehicles. There was literally no stretch of ground to park, so we ended up just driving non stop through both Soller and Deia. So much for the stalking then. Apparently a very, very posh place with half the English pop and rock royalty spending holidays there. Anyways, the mountains are amazing and it was definitely a worthwhile roadtrip.
Deia's connection to rock 'n' roll royalty dates back to the mid- to late '70s, when the likes of Eric Burdon and Kevin Ayers discovered it, and ended up buying homes there. I learned this back story via an article I wrote in Ugly Things on Ayers's longtime guitarist/co-collaborator, Ollie Halsall, who followed him there after his personal and professional fortunes had hit rock bottom in the UK.

Things were quite different back then, though, as Ollie's girlfriend, Zanna Gregmar -- who ended up playing keyboards alongside Ollie in Kevin's touring bands from '80 to '85 -- told me. She recalls sharing a flat with Ollie, minus TV, with hot water having to be brought down from the mountains, and most other amenities offered at a basic level.

Spain, of course, was only just coming out of the Franco era, so it took time for musicians to shake off the strench -- though it took time for the musicians to adjust, and flex their creative muscles accordingly, as Zanna recalled.

The big local band in Deia were the Sex Beatles, with whom Ollie jammed, and co-wrote a song that got a lot of airplay, and was promptly banned (as the link below details). Despite that, their presence helped to jump-start a scene there.

The overcrowding and related bummers that you describe came a bit later, after the secret got out -- forcing the likes of Ollie and Kevin to move back to the Spanish mainland, once the area had gotten too popular (and expensive) for a couple of cult heroes to continue living there. I'm sure they weren't the only ones. From what I gathered, via Zanna and other sources, Ollie was contemplating a return to the UK, and doing his own album, which didn't happen, due to his untimely death in 1992.

At any rate, you might find these recollections from the Sex Beatles' lead singer, Hamish Macdonald, of interest -- as they add some perspective to the whole story:
So, in that sense, Paul is only the latest musical figure to hear the siren song of Deia, and answer the call accordingly. But, as the above article shows, the area's musical footprint runs deeper than its current appearance might suggest.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 1:36am
Deia's connection to rock 'n' roll royalty dates back to the mid- to late '70s, when the likes of Eric Burdon and Kevin Ayers discovered it, and ended up buying homes there. I learned this back story via an article I wrote in Ugly Things on Ayers's longtime guitarist/co-collaborator, Ollie Halsall, who followed him there after his personal and professional fortunes had hit rock bottom in the UK.

Things were quite different back then, though, as Ollie's girlfriend, Zanna Gregmar -- who ended up playing keyboards alongside Ollie in Kevin's touring bands from '80 to '85 -- told me. She recalls sharing a flat with Ollie, minus TV, with hot water having to be brought down from the mountains, and most other amenities offered at a basic level.

Spain, of course, was only just coming out of the Franco era, so it took time for musicians to shake off the strench -- though it took time for the musicians to adjust, and flex their creative muscles accordingly, as Zanna recalled.

The big local band in Deia were the Sex Beatles, with whom Ollie jammed, and co-wrote a song that got a lot of airplay, and was promptly banned (as the link below details). Despite that, their presence helped to jump-start a scene there.

The overcrowding and related bummers that you describe came a bit later, after the secret got out -- forcing the likes of Ollie and Kevin to move back to the Spanish mainland, once the area had gotten too popular (and expensive) for a couple of cult heroes to continue living there. I'm sure they weren't the only ones. From what I gathered, via Zanna and other sources, Ollie was contemplating a return to the UK, and doing his own album, which didn't happen, due to his untimely death in 1992.

At any rate, you might find these recollections from the Sex Beatles' lead singer, Hamish Macdonald, of interest -- as they add some perspective to the whole story:
So, in that sense, Paul is only the latest musical figure to hear the siren song of Deia, and answer the call accordingly. But, as the above article shows, the area's musical footprint runs deeper than its current appearance might suggest.
Thanks Ralph - fascinating stuff. I remember the Sex Beatles as a sort of no-hit indie wonders, knew nothing about them and had no idea they were such an eclectic group. And anyone who teamed up with original Rutle Ollie Halsall is fine by me.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I have the "Well You Never..." / "Fatal Fascination" 7". I really like it.

Ollie Halsall was in 60s bands Timebox and Patto. Both made excellent music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just want it on record that I think Sex Beatles is a damned hilarious name.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 10:15am
Just want it on record that I think Sex Beatles is a damned hilarious name.
Noted. And agree.😊

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

motorsmell
Junco Partner