New song from Simmo and Galen

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Re: New song from Simmo and Galen

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Thanks Ralph - fascinating stuff. I remember the Sex Beatles as a sort of no-hit indie wonders, knew nothing about them and had no idea they were such an eclectic group. And anyone who teamed up with original Rutle Ollie Halsall is fine by me.
Yes, indeed! I honestly haven't heard a lot of their stuff, either, but what I've heard, I've liked, which is a good omen. The name was intended as a tongue-in-cheek tip of the hat to the Beatles and the Pistols, which they saw as two of the major bloodlines running through their music.

I forgot to mention this last night, but the link that I posted mentions another Deja connection that looms large in the Ollie/Kevin axis -- Ian "Buda" Carpenter, who was the Sex Beatles' manager, then ended up working for Kevin as his tour manager in that era. So there you go. :mrgreen:
Ollie Halsall was in 60s bands Timebox and Patto. Both made excellent music.
Yes, they both did -- and I became well steeped in their music when I wrote my article, which you can read here:
You can read Zanna's complete recollections here (scroll to the bottom for parts I/II):
From Kevin, to Ollie, to Paul -- looks like we've got a nice "six degrees of separation" game going here. Who'd have thought, eh? Anyway, as you'll all see from the above material, there's a lot more to add to the story.

They also have an Ollie Halsall Songbook, where I contributed a couple Ayers covers (Am I Really Marcel, I Don't Depend On You) -- and, as you can see, there's quite a few more there, too:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Excellent info Ralph, much appreciated. I've always enjoyed Kevin Ayers music so the link to Paul is most interesting.

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

This video seems to be filmed somewhere in southern or central Italy. Interesting to know exactly where.

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 4:52pm
This video seems to be filmed somewhere in southern or central Italy. Interesting to know exactly where.
Vimmattu said on the previous page that "the video is shot in Deia, Mallorca".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 5:32pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 4:52pm
Vimmattu said on the previous page that "the video is shot in Deia, Mallorca".
Ok thanks Marky and Vimmattu!

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 1:36am
The video is shot in Deia, Mallorca where Simonon has his holiday home. We were on the island with the family last summer. Knowing Simonon hangs out there in Deia / Soller, I wanted to do a bit of good natured fanboy stalking and have a look at his hood. Goddammit those towns in the Serra de Tramuntana are packed with tourists and their vehicles. There was literally no stretch of ground to park, so we ended up just driving non stop through both Soller and Deia. So much for the stalking then. Apparently a very, very posh place with half the English pop and rock royalty spending holidays there. Anyways, the mountains are amazing and it was definitely a worthwhile roadtrip.
Deia's connection to rock 'n' roll royalty dates back to the mid- to late '70s...
So, in that sense, Paul is only the latest musical figure to hear the siren song of Deia, and answer the call accordingly. But, as the above article shows, the area's musical footprint runs deeper than its current appearance might suggest.
Thank you, Chairman for your fascinating insight. I remember reading an article about the ancient rock history of Deia. The western mountains of Mallorca are definitely beautiful and I can imagine back in the day these small towns used to be very remote backwaters. Now it is only an hour or so drive on board a tourist bus to get there from Palma.
- Pilled up and rrattling -

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 3:17pm
Thanks Ralph - fascinating stuff. I remember the Sex Beatles as a sort of no-hit indie wonders, knew nothing about them and had no idea they were such an eclectic group. And anyone who teamed up with original Rutle Ollie Halsall is fine by me.
Yes, indeed! I honestly haven't heard a lot of their stuff, either, but what I've heard, I've liked, which is a good omen. The name was intended as a tongue-in-cheek tip of the hat to the Beatles and the Pistols, which they saw as two of the major bloodlines running through their music.

I forgot to mention this last night, but the link that I posted mentions another Deja connection that looms large in the Ollie/Kevin axis -- Ian "Buda" Carpenter, who was the Sex Beatles' manager, then ended up working for Kevin as his tour manager in that era. So there you go. :mrgreen:
Ollie Halsall was in 60s bands Timebox and Patto. Both made excellent music.
Yes, they both did -- and I became well steeped in their music when I wrote my article, which you can read here:
You can read Zanna's complete recollections here (scroll to the bottom for parts I/II):
From Kevin, to Ollie, to Paul -- looks like we've got a nice "six degrees of separation" game going here. Who'd have thought, eh? Anyway, as you'll all see from the above material, there's a lot more to add to the story.

They also have an Ollie Halsall Songbook, where I contributed a couple Ayers covers (Am I Really Marcel, I Don't Depend On You) -- and, as you can see, there's quite a few more there, too:
Ralph - fantastic writing on Ollie Halsall. As you say, the nearest we'll get to a proper biography. Thanks for sharing.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Paul was a guest on Craig Charles Friday night BBC6 music show
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001j ... are-mobile

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

motorsmell wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 2:08pm
Paul was a guest on Craig Charles Friday night BBC6 music show
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001j ... are-mobile
Thanks for the share.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

I like it. It's a bit in the Ride Your Donkey style.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Ralph - fantastic writing on Ollie Halsall. As you say, the nearest we'll get to a proper biography. Thanks for sharing.
Oh, sure, any time! Whenever you write any kind of bio/retro type of piece, you really have to try and get into your subject's head -- as much as that's possible to do, especially if they're not here -- and then, the landscape that they inhabited at the time. With this piece, I'd say I did that.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

appleseed1 wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 6:12pm
I like it.
Same.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Paul special guest on Rockonteurs today with Gary Kemp and Guy Pratt...

www.deezer.com/en/show/1712832?utm_camp ... ferredFl=1
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 1:15pm
Paul special guest on Rockonteurs today with Gary Kemp and Guy Pratt...

www.deezer.com/en/show/1712832?utm_camp ... ferredFl=1
Thanks!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Youtube link...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board