Today's the 40th anniversary of Mick's last appearance with The Clash

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Today's the 40th anniversary of Mick's last appearance with The Clash

Post by appleseed1 »

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Today's the 40th anniversary of Mick's last appearance with The Clash

Post by yetaca »

I'll have a drink/smoke and watch that show now 😆

XRCF
Junco Partner

Post by XRCF »

If you ask me it was the most mid performance they ever did
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀https://xrcf.xyz/
ImageImage
My mega links never die!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

appleseed1 wrote:
28 May 2023, 8:22pm
Hello,

How many of these acts are 1) still active; and 2) still alive?

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

Definitely not their best show. Mick didn’t really play enthusiastically like he had in previous shows. They are practically hammering barre chords throughout the whole set, but I guess nobody really cared anymore. Hell, the audience was probably just about as exhausted from partying to even consciously think about any of Strummer’s rants, if they even cared anyways. Joe must’ve felt mortified to be up on this stage, with the most technologically-advanced equipment of the era, in front of a quarter of a million people (not including the syndicated TV broadcast in the US and USSR) and still have the balls to lecture to a half-braindead audience after taking the piss. I sympathize with him, but we all know it was far from the appropriate place, and I think even he knew it when he uttered the words “…we’re nowhere, absolutely nowhere, can’t you understand that?”, it almost brings me to tears thinking about how that must’ve felt, to know The Clash was finished by this point.

However, despite all the hypocrisy and preachy-ness Strummer gets accused of here, that doesn’t take away the fact that he was right about most of the things he was rambling about, especially when he says “and if there’s anything that’s gonna come in the future, it’s gonna be from all parts of everything, not just one white way down the middle of the road”.

Right before he said that though, the quote that always sends chills down my spine is when Joe says,

“and I tell you, all those people out in East L.A. ain’t gonna stay there forever…”

Then 1992 happened…

On a side note, I’ve always heard rumors about the festival organizers putting up the $500,000 check on the large screen, is there actually proof of this, or is it all BS?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
28 May 2023, 11:22pm

Right before he said that though, the quote that always sends chills down my spine is when Joe says,

“and I tell you, all those people out in East L.A. ain’t gonna stay there forever…”

Then 1992 happened…
Huh? The Latino community in east LA is not the African American community of south central LA. Also, you make it sound like it was some kind of threat? Or I’m misunderstanding.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Was Bowie set ever shown. Must have been the Serious Moonlight tour.

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

matedog wrote:
29 May 2023, 12:48am
TrashCityRocker wrote:

Then 1992 happened…
Huh? The Latino community in east LA is not the African American community of south central LA. Also, you make it sound like it was some kind of threat? Or I’m misunderstanding.
My bad, I thought East L.A. was affected during the 1992 Riots. Also, I just thought it sounded eerily prophetic, like a warning. But seeing as South Central was the center of the 1992 riots, I might’ve misunderstood whatever situation Joe was referring to (urban poverty, police brutality, gang violence, immigration, bad education, etc.). The full quote goes,

“I know we’re supposed to be, I know the human race is supposed to get down on its knees in front of all this new technology and kiss the microchip circuits (circus?). It doesn’t impress me over much, when there ain’t nothing better—you buy! you make! you buy! you die! That’s the motto of America. You get born to buy it! And I tell you all those people out in East L.A. they ain’t gonna stay there forever, and if there’s anything that’s gonna be in the future, it’s gonna be from all parts of everything, not just one white way down the middle of the road. So if anybody out there ever grows up FOR FUCKS SAKE!”

Am curious what you and others think Joe meant by that specific quote. I always took it as a warning of how the ghetto’s lack of systematic support and frequent police brutality is like a bomb waiting to explode, that there will come a time when people will not be able to take it anymore (“watch when Watts town burns again, the bus goes to Montgomery”). Is there any Press-Conference context to this that I don’t know of? I read somewhere that The Clash made Steve Wozniak (the Festival’s organizer) donate $100,000 to a summer camp program for disadvantaged children living in East L.A., but I don’t know if that’s relevant to the context of the quote. Or I could just be overthinking all of this.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

gkbill wrote:
28 May 2023, 8:29pm
appleseed1 wrote:
28 May 2023, 8:22pm
Hello,

How many of these acts are 1) still active; and 2) still alive?
I'd say a few of them anyway. U2 for one, Joe Walsh still playin with the Eagles and saw the Pretenders last week and can confirm they're still making a very solid racket.

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
29 May 2023, 8:00am
matedog wrote:
29 May 2023, 12:48am
TrashCityRocker wrote:

Then 1992 happened…
My bad, I thought East L.A. was affected during the 1992 Riots. Also, I just thought it sounded eerily prophetic, like a warning. But seeing as South Central was the center of the 1992 riots, I might’ve misunderstood whatever situation Joe was referring to (urban poverty, police brutality, gang violence, immigration, bad education, etc.). The full quote goes,

“I know we’re supposed to be, I know the human race is supposed to get down on its knees in front of all this new technology and kiss the microchip circuits (circus?). It doesn’t impress me over much, when there ain’t nothing better—you buy! you make! you buy! you die! That’s the motto of America. You get born to buy it! And I tell you all those people out in East L.A. they ain’t gonna stay there forever, and if there’s anything that’s gonna be in the future, it’s gonna be from all parts of everything, not just one white way down the middle of the road. So if anybody out there ever grows up FOR FUCKS SAKE!”

Am curious what you and others think Joe meant by that specific quote. I always took it as a warning of how the ghetto’s lack of systematic support and frequent police brutality is like a bomb waiting to explode, that there will come a time when people will not be able to take it anymore (“watch when Watts town burns again, the bus goes to Montgomery”). Is there any Press-Conference context to this that I don’t know of? I read somewhere that The Clash made Steve Wozniak (the Festival’s organizer) donate $100,000 to a summer camp program for disadvantaged children living in East L.A., but I don’t know if that’s relevant to the context of the quote. Or I could just be overthinking all of this.

I love Joe's asides from this concert and always have since I first heard them. He used his platform to speak truths no one else on that bill would dare. Clashes are necessarily uncomfortable. As for which parts of LA rioted a few years later, I don't think it matters if he was off by a few miles. His point was correct, and his larger point keeps growing in relevance. The US government has recently given the go ahead for human trials for sticking microchips in our brains. Bow down in front of this new technology ....