1982-10-23 Oakland / 1982-10-29 Los Angeles [Remastered]

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Re: 1982-10-23 Oakland / 1982-10-29 Los Angeles [Remastered]

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:13am
Stefano1972 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 7:20am
Returning to the idea of the color of the covers, the choice of the "eye-catching” (or “very bright”) yellow is taken from the same color of the sticker that was attached to the Know Your Rights 45 rpm record.
I liked how the yellow combined with the predominant red in the photos and respected the graphic style of that period.
Then, obviously, any criticism or constructive suggestion is always welcome.
Yep I thought that sticker was the inspiration for your colour scheme.
This is not a criticism but just my honest opinion. As a sticker that requires to be eye-catching it works brilliant as something that stands out bold on another background. But as a sleeve it's too overbearing and too bold.
If you imaging that cover as a 12" album it would be just too much. If you compare the album covers none of them are as bold as that. Only GEER and CtC are bold colours depending on which CtC sleeve you get. But even those are not as bold as that sticker. If you had toned down the colours it would've worked so much better. The design itself is great. The font is a bit on the punk side of things and not one the Clash used other than seen on bootlegs.

Hopefully this is just positive constructive criticism. Some of the sleeves I've made I would produce 5 to 6 variants of different colours to see how combinations work best. I did try different fonts to distinguish the artwork as being mine as such. But realised sticking to ones used mostly on official releases looked best and more in keeping with the subject matter.
Thanks Marky, it's always a pleasure to read your point of view. I really appreciate your suggestions.
I'll try to rework the colors to see how it looks.

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: 1982-10-23 Oakland / 1982-10-29 Los Angeles [Remastered]

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 11:15am
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:13am
Stefano1972 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 7:20am
Returning to the idea of the color of the covers, the choice of the "eye-catching” (or “very bright”) yellow is taken from the same color of the sticker that was attached to the Know Your Rights 45 rpm record.
I liked how the yellow combined with the predominant red in the photos and respected the graphic style of that period.
Then, obviously, any criticism or constructive suggestion is always welcome.
Yep I thought that sticker was the inspiration for your colour scheme.
This is not a criticism but just my honest opinion. As a sticker that requires to be eye-catching it works brilliant as something that stands out bold on another background. But as a sleeve it's too overbearing and too bold.
If you imaging that cover as a 12" album it would be just too much. If you compare the album covers none of them are as bold as that. Only GEER and CtC are bold colours depending on which CtC sleeve you get. But even those are not as bold as that sticker. If you had toned down the colours it would've worked so much better. The design itself is great. The font is a bit on the punk side of things and not one the Clash used other than seen on bootlegs.

Hopefully this is just positive constructive criticism. Some of the sleeves I've made I would produce 5 to 6 variants of different colours to see how combinations work best. I did try different fonts to distinguish the artwork as being mine as such. But realised sticking to ones used mostly on official releases looked best and more in keeping with the subject matter.
Thanks Marky, it's always a pleasure to read your point of view. I really appreciate your suggestions.
I'll try to rework the colors to see how it looks.
Nice one Stefano. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia