Meet Johnny Green

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Romolo
Corner Soul

Meet Johnny Green

Post by Romolo »

Hello everybody. Just a little story for you.
Once upon a Time, I used to work in Paris on the Eurostar Terminal (the channel tunnel). I was in the boarding lounge and who came to me with his beautiful and recognizable glasses? Mister Johnny Green in person. We started a nice little tchat. He just saw a private showcase of the GTB&TQ, told me his favorite Rude Boy moment was Police and thieves, we talked about the Tour de France (he's fan of cycling and this year -2007-Le Tour departed from London).
At the end of the conversation, I told him that I couldn't find his Book A riot of our own in France. He asked me for my address in Paris and two weeks later, his book was in m'y mailbox with a nice dedication. A real gentleman.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Meet Johnny Green

Post by bazarboy75 »

Romolo wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:37am
At the end of the conversation, I told him that I couldn't find his Book A riot of our own in France. He asked me for my address in Paris and two weeks later, his book was in m'y mailbox with a nice dedication. A real gentleman.
Nice story mate
A typical Clash ethical !

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Romolo wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:37am
Hello everybody. Just a little story for you.
Once upon a Time, I used to work in Paris on the Eurostar Terminal (the channel tunnel). I was in the boarding lounge and who came to me with his beautiful and recognizable glasses? Mister Johnny Green in person. We started a nice little tchat. He just saw a private showcase of the GTB&TQ, told me his favorite Rude Boy moment was Police and thieves, we talked about the Tour de France (he's fan of cycling and this year -2007-Le Tour departed from London).
"Here comes Johnny Green for the Eurostar train. Here comes Johnny Green for the Eurostar train." Was he running late by any chance ;)

Great story. Have a cycling book somewhere on my shelf by said Mr Johnny Green and one of these days I may even take it down and read it!

Romolo
Corner Soul

Post by Romolo »

Thanx mate. To tell you the truth, anotther day, I met Don Letts on Eurostar and I couldn't help to say to him :" ticket, bought a ticket, flew in from JA and we go ribbit'". And he burst out laughing. Great memories. Thanx for your feedback...and good luck for your Reading.

Romolo
Corner Soul

Post by Romolo »

And for your information, Johnny had no gaffer tape with him.

Romolo
Corner Soul

Post by Romolo »

And by the way, thanx for your reply Sébas (no Seb with me). Always supportive after all this years...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Romolo wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 3:10pm
Thanx mate. To tell you the truth, anotther day, I met Don Letts on Eurostar and I couldn't help to say to him :" ticket, bought a ticket, flew in from JA and we go ribbit'". And he burst out laughing. Great memories. Thanx for your feedback...and good luck for your Reading.
Ha! Superb!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Romolo wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 3:10pm
10/10. Chapeau!

Romolo
Corner Soul

Post by Romolo »

IMG_20240217_233414.jpg

Romolo
Corner Soul

Post by Romolo »

And I've just realised he made the dedication with a green pen. Green like ... Johnny. I like to think he did it on purpose.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Romolo wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 6:39pm
IMG_20240217_233414.jpg
Nice story Romolo thanks for sharing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Romolo
Corner Soul

Post by Romolo »

Your welcome Marky.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Yes, a nice anecdote about Johnny Green, Romolo.
And I too have a copy of 'A Riot of our Own' which is signed by him in green ink! - yes, it must have been his trademark.

My copy was bought from Helter Skelter books in London, a great rock and roll music bookshop based in the old Regent Sound studios in Denmark Street - the bookshop closed down years ago, but the premises is now the Regent Sounds musical instruments shop.
Helter Skelter often sold signed books, and even though I'd already bought Johnny's book elsewhere, when I saw their stock was signed by him, Ray Lowry and the ghost writer Garry Barker I couldn't resist.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Romolo
Corner Soul

Post by Romolo »

The green ink theory is confirmed. Thanx John.