Clash Outtakes: What we got vs. need

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Clash Outtakes: What we got vs. need

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 3:03pm
Hello,

I don't know if this is the best thread for this, but does anyone know if a studio ska/more rock version of Bankrobber exists? From what I've learned in reading some stuff somewhere, Bankrobber may have started more rock/ska-ish and morphed into a more dub/reggae track.

Here's my reference point:

Does a studio version more like the above exist?
No studio version just that live version.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 3:07pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I don't know if this is the best thread for this, but does anyone know if a studio ska/more rock version of Bankrobber exists? From what I've learned in reading some stuff somewhere, Bankrobber may have started more rock/ska-ish and morphed into a more dub/reggae track.

That soundboard is probably the best we will ever get too unless a superior boot from January 1980 exists. They pretty much flipped a switch on playing it live after doing the studio recording.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 5:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 3:07pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

That soundboard is probably the best we will ever get too unless a superior boot from January 1980 exists. They pretty much flipped a switch on playing it live after doing the studio recording.
Hello,

Damn. I thought maybe as they were writing/learning/practicing someone might have taped it. Thanks for the information, Marky and Matedog.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 2:53pm
Anybody got this 7" bootleg? It claims to have a studio outtake of " City of the Dead".
Anybody?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 6:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Anybody got this 7" bootleg? It claims to have a studio outtake of " City of the Dead".
Anybody?
I knew I didn't have the actual 7" but I checked all my Clash digital stuff, no luck, sorry.

Love to hear it if anyone knows where to find it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 7:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Anybody?
I knew I didn't have the actual 7" but I checked all my Clash digital stuff, no luck, sorry.

There's one for sale on Discogs. But I'm loathe to buy only to find out it's the studio version. It seems strange that with all the bootlegs I've had over the years an outtake of "City of the Dead" has never shown up.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 7:08pm
Sparky wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Anybody?

There's one for sale on Discogs. But I'm loathe to buy only to find out it's the studio version. It seems strange that with all the bootlegs I've had over the years an outtake of "City of the Dead" has never shown up.
Definitely seems unlikely that it is an outtake.

matedog

Post by matedog »

laxman wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 7:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Anybody?

I agree. Especially since it’s paired with other b-sides. I suspect they are conflating “b-side” with “outtake.”
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 7:54pm
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Anybody?

I agree. Especially since it’s paired with other b-sides. I suspect they are conflating “b-side” with “outtake.”
Think you are correct. . Don't hold out much hope of it being an outtake.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 6:42am
matedog wrote:
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Yeah, I’m sure if a genuine outtake version existed it would have been recirculated by now.
Bootleggers often misnamed track titles or descriptions, of course, deliberately or otherwise. I reckon it’s just the regular b-side which might have appealed to fans who hadn’t got the single.
That ‘DOA’ set from years ago did a superb job rounding up rarities from vinyl bootlegs. It could be that this EP slipped through the net at the time, but I reckon the DOA team would have had access to a copy.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 10:04am
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah, I’m sure if a genuine outtake version existed it would have been recirculated by now.
Bootleggers often misnamed track titles or descriptions, of course, deliberately or otherwise. I reckon it’s just the regular b-side which might have appealed to fans who hadn’t got the single.
That ‘DOA’ set from years ago did a superb job rounding up rarities from vinyl bootlegs. It could be that this EP slipped through the net at the time, but I reckon the DOA team would have had access to a copy.
Yeah that's my thoughts as well mate. I've got the D.O.A. boot and others with those tracks. It's just a "what if".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 10:26am

Yeah that's my thoughts as well mate. I've got the D.O.A. boot and others with those tracks. It's just a "what if".
I agree, it’d be good to get it confirmed if someone actually has a copy.
Even better if it turns out to be a genuine outtake discovery

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Yeah, i've been wrong on this stuff before, but I think our assumptions are probably right on this one.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 11:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 10:26am

I agree, it’d be good to get it confirmed if someone actually has a copy.
Even better if it turns out to be a genuine outtake discovery
Well I've got a copy now and can confirm yep just the B-sides. D.O.A. even has the picture sleeve shown on it's inner which made me think it strange. Still mystery solved. And Marky one arm and a leg down.😕

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 9:14pm
Well I've got a copy now and can confirm yep just the B-sides. D.O.A. even has the picture sleeve shown on it's inner which made me think it strange. Still mystery solved. And Marky one arm and a leg down.😕
Sorry you 'invested' in vain Marky. At least you know about the mystery track descriptions being false. A noble use of your funds.
Hope you can grow another arm and a leg... !