Complete Control Demo/Outake??

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Mensforthhill
Corner Soul

Re: Complete Control Demo/Outake??

Post by Mensforthhill »

The version of Pressure Drop on the original Black Market Clash (still only available on vinyl, as far as I know) is definitely a different take from the single B-side version. Its considerably slower and definitely has a different vocal. Probably from the same early 1978 sessions though. I prefer this one myself, has more "swing" and better instrumentation.
The other version out there , available on the DOA comp, and frequently labeled as the Lee Perry mix on various boots, is obviously just an alternate mix of the single version from '78. Its also better, there's a lot more instruments in the mix and a ton of delay all around. I find the official single version kind of boring in comparison.
So the Lee Perry mixes of Pressure Drop and Complete Control are still out there somewhere, and I imagine they will come out in one form or another, one of these days. The idea of Lee Perry mixing CC in 1977 is very tantalizing- it could be really weird and interesting- but I bet its not really that good, or I think it would have been officially released by now.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Mensforthhill wrote:The version of Pressure Drop on the original Black Market Clash (still only available on vinyl, as far as I know)
No the original 10' BMC was released on CD, I think it was when the reissues were done.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

101Walterton wrote:
Mensforthhill wrote:The version of Pressure Drop on the original Black Market Clash (still only available on vinyl, as far as I know)
No the original 10' BMC was released on CD, I think it was when the reissues were done.
A 10' BMC wouldn't fit on most people's turntables. ;)

My BMC CD looks like it was released in the early-mid '80s...maybe even in '83 when CDs were first produced.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
"The problem is we have a Stonehenge that's in danger of being trampled by a dwarf."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
"The problem is we have a Stonehenge that's in danger of being trampled by a dwarf."
Well played, clerks.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I heard you had a small one.

The BMC CD I have is a Sony 'Special Edition' dated 1996.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

101Walterton wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I heard you had a small one.

The BMC CD I have is a Sony 'Special Edition' dated 1996.
My turntable is regular size...it only shrinks when it's really coooold.

The UK reissues except for CTC were released in 1999 (the CTC reissue in 2000). The US reissues (except for CTC) came out in 2000, which means that they were released in the '90s (the last year of the '90s) as well. :shifty:

Ukdave
Corner Soul

Post by Ukdave »

The Demo of Complete Control is available on bootleg CD as is the Lee Perry version of Pressure Drop. EBay has these for sale on CD from time to time and ofcourse the almighty Google has it too.
The story I heard was that Lee Perry offered to produce a single for The Clash as he liked Police and Thieves from the first album,the original of which by Junior Murvin he produced.
As The Clash played Pressure Drop live it was the obvious choice for recording.Actually I think its better than the officially released version,but it seems to have fallen off the radar.
The full live version of Complete Control from Rude Boy is also available on bootleg CD along with No Reason and Let the good times roll which as far as I know have not been made available elsewhere.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Ukdave wrote:
15 Apr 2022, 11:09am
The Demo of Complete Control is available on bootleg CD as is the Lee Perry version of Pressure Drop. EBay has these for sale on CD from time to time and ofcourse the almighty Google has it too.
The story I heard was that Lee Perry offered to produce a single for The Clash as he liked Police and Thieves from the first album,the original of which by Junior Murvin he produced.
As The Clash played Pressure Drop live it was the obvious choice for recording.Actually I think its better than the officially released version,but it seems to have fallen off the radar.
The full live version of Complete Control from Rude Boy is also available on bootleg CD along with No Reason and Let the good times roll which as far as I know have not been made available elsewhere.
Care to upload if you have it handy?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Ukdave
Corner Soul

Post by Ukdave »

I am sorry but I am a technical dunce and can't upload music

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

Ukdave wrote:
The Demo of Complete Control is available on bootleg CD
No it isn't

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
15 Apr 2022, 12:13pm
Ukdave wrote:
Care to upload if you have it handy?
The demo of Complete Control isn't on a bootleg cd. And the version of Pressure Drop that UKdave is mentioning is just the alt. mix you've already heard and it most definitely isn't the Lee Perry version.

This is the bootleg "Street Rats" that claims to be the Lee Perry version of Pressure Drop but it isn't it's just the alt. mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Neither the Lee Perry produced version of Pressure Drop nor his mix of Complete Control are "out there". The Clash were interested in releasing them as a tribute to Scratch after he died, but they couldn't find the tapes until months later.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

With respect, Clash, he's still dead. We'd love to hear those mixes.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 3:19am
With respect, Clash, he's still dead. We'd love to hear those mixes.
Their decision making process continues to baffle. Would that not have been a great item for Sound System? Jesus, there is interesting stuff in the vaults just collecting dust while the fanbase is going to continue to dissipate.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.