technical question

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
mr. diem

technical question

Post by mr. diem »

know that video of Clampdown that's been around for 20-something years? we all know Joe is playing a Fender Telecaster right? okay, now what exactly is Mickey playing?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: technical question

Post by matedog »

mr. diem wrote:know that video of Clampdown that's been around for 20-something years? we all know Joe is playing a Fender Telecaster right? okay, now what exactly is Mickey playing?

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sub in exile

Post by Sub in exile »

looks like just a black les paul... :huh:

mr. diem

Post by mr. diem »

the keys are a bit of a giveaway. Matedog may be right, but he doesn't seem very sure.

[listens]

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
mr. diem wrote:know that video of Clampdown that's been around for 20-something years? we all know Joe is playing a Fender Telecaster right? okay, now what exactly is Mickey playing?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote: Did you know Mickey plays on Cut the Crap but is uncredited.
Unlike the others, who were discredited.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

I'm willing to bet Gluggo's only contribution was North and South, which is the only song that has actual keyboard playing and arrangement on it instead of mashing the keys with the palm of one's hand and doodling with the farting bugle sound presets. That's also the only song where the keyboard sort of fits instead of completely fucking up the song to hell. Rest of the album synth parts were almost certainly the work of "Young" Herman Wagner, who did get the Thanks-But-No-Thanks credit in the liner notes along with Michael 'Fayney' Fayne.

Given that Gluggo did some pretty fine arranging work in Topper's studio band not too long after I'm sure he just flew into Munich, took one look at what Bernie was doing, chucked out a half-assed contribution in one day, took his paycheck and got the fuck out of there as quickly as humanly possible before he got stuck with any of the rank smell or credits associated with that album. He's a professional...he would've known on-sight what kind of career suicide he would've been risking for his lucrative studio work if he stuck around. Why Norman Watt-Roy stayed for the whole recording doesn't make any sense, though, because he was in Gluggo's troupe. He must've been handsomely compensated AND had an agreement to not get publicly credited in any way, shape, or form for that debacle.

Sub

Post by Sub »

Ahh, the other Mick... nvm

matedog

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

I'm willing to bet Gluggo's only contribution was North and South, which is the only song that has actual keyboard playing and arrangement on it instead of mashing the keys with the palm of one's hand and doodling with the farting bugle sound presets. That's also the only song where the keyboard sort of fits instead of completely fucking up the song to hell. Rest of the album synth parts were almost certainly the work of "Young" Herman Wagner, who did get the Thanks-But-No-Thanks credit in the liner notes along with Michael 'Fayney' Fayne.
Hey don't forget the wicked Fingerpoppin' organ solo. :naughty:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: Did you know Mickey plays on Cut the Crap but is uncredited.
Unlike the others, who were discredited.
http://instantrimshot.com/

mr. diem

Post by mr. diem »

Marky Dread weighs in with Hammond B3. that's two for Hammond B3. does this constitute consensus?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

mr. diem wrote:Marky Dread weighs in with Hammond B3. that's two for Hammond B3. does this constitute consensus?

Bang on the money mr. diem.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

Given that Gluggo did some pretty fine arranging work in Topper's studio band not too long after I'm sure he just flew into Munich, took one look at what Bernie was doing, chucked out a half-assed contribution in one day, took his paycheck and got the fuck out of there as quickly as humanly possible before he got stuck with any of the rank smell or credits associated with that album. He's a professional...he would've known on-sight what kind of career suicide he would've been risking for his lucrative studio work if he stuck around. Why Norman Watt-Roy stayed for the whole recording doesn't make any sense, though, because he was in Gluggo's troupe. He must've been handsomely compensated AND had an agreement to not get publicly credited in any way, shape, or form for that debacle.
A more than adequate assessment of a less than adequate period in the life of The Clash.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia