The Escapades of Futura 2000 (feat. Music by The Clash)

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

The Escapades of Futura 2000 (feat. Music by The Clash)

Post by matedog »

[youtube][/youtube]

Side note - "The Complete Clash" book describes Futura as providing a "powerful, authentic black voice" to OBF. I didn't think he was black?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Escapades of Futura 2000 (feat. Music by The Clash)

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

Side note - "The Complete Clash" book describes Futura as providing a "powerful, authentic black voice" to OBF. I didn't think he was black?

He's mixed race...black/white/hispanic, something like that.

BTW, his website is cool as fuck: http://www.futura2000.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:I didn't think he was black?
I have the same dilemma with Clarence Clemmons. :shifty:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I never liked the official release of this song. The live "graffiti rap" from the 81 Mogador shows obliterate the studio version.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

daredevil wrote:I never liked the official release of this song. The live "graffiti rap" from the 81 Mogador shows obliterate the studio version.
Mick's guitar work was key to that, and so was Topper's beat. They gave it some real hop...that was a fun tune for the Fall residencies. 10/22/81 is funktastic. The '81 studio demo of it isn't awful--definitely a pale, pale imitation of the live version--but it does have Topper on it and it isn't as hideously produced as the single. The '83 studio version with Mickey Gallagher guesting and what's-his-face-from-The-Blockheads on drums sucks ass because Mick was in full "Wack Attack" mode and was totally inept in the control booth trying to produce rap music. That is a pretty damn sad final studio release for the Clash I lineup.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

daredevil wrote:I never liked the official release of this song. The live "graffiti rap" from the 81 Mogador shows obliterate the studio version.
It sounds pretty lazy on behalf of The Clash if you ask me.

This was done in 83? Who was behind the kit?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Fort Bragg

Post by Fort Bragg »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Mick's guitar work was key to that, and so was Topper's beat. They gave it some real hop...that was a fun tune for the Fall residencies. 10/22/81 is funktastic. The '81 studio demo of it isn't awful--definitely a pale, pale imitation of the live version--but it does have Topper on it and it isn't as hideously produced as the single. The '83 studio version with Mickey Gallagher guesting and what's-his-face-from-The-Blockheads on drums sucks ass because Mick was in full "Wack Attack" mode and was totally inept in the control booth trying to produce rap music. That is a pretty damn sad final studio release for the Clash I lineup.

That's Topper. This was recorded during the Combat Rock sessions with Poly Mandell.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Never really paid much attention to the different versions of this. Which one is the one matedog posted? I have one on The Lost Treasures CD called "The Further Adventures" but it sounds exactly the same as this one. Not sure if I've heard the 81 version.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Fort Bragg wrote:

That's Topper. This was recorded during the Combat Rock sessions with Poly Mandell.
Sup Mick?

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

one of paul simonon's finest moments. this sounds like the clash - the clash that could have nailed the tune live unlike the magnificent seven hired honchos
that the el clash combo could never capture. :cool:

SteveSatch
Junco Partner

Post by SteveSatch »

Shudder