First impressions of the Clash

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

First impressions of the Clash

Post by Heston »

When you first experienced the aural wonders of the Clash, what were the circumstances and what was the song?

I was 12 or 13 and SISOSIG suddenly blasted out of the pub jukebox (they let kids in this bar on afternoons to play pool). I thought it was fucking brilliant and walked up the road and found it in a second-hand record shop. I got it home and it was the flipside (Straight To Hell, of course) that literally blew me away. Unfortunately, a week later I read in a paper that the guitarist had been sacked. X(
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: First impressions of the Clash

Post by Flex »

I first heard them (consciously, anyways, I'm sure I heard the staples on the radio before) when I grabbed my dad's Combat Rock cassette on a recommendation from a friend to check 'em out since I liked punk rock. My initial impression, as I was listening to Know Your Rights et al. was "how the fuck are these guys a punk band?" I thought the music was weird and not very good but I liked it. I still feel that way about Combat Rock, actually.

Then I checked out self titled and it all made sense.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My sister had Combat Rock on cassette. Knew the hits and thought they were okay, but didn't go any further. Then I discovered punk/alternative, and after immersing myself into all things Lydon, I started looking for the other great English punk bands. The first album is where I started and, initially, I thought, "This ain't punk." Which is to say, this ain't like the Pistols, all trebly and thin in comparison. Grew to love it, tho, and once I bought London Calling I was sold on them completely. Odd but true, the third Clash item I ever bought was a dj promo of the Radio Clash ep. That confused me even more—this is punk? Ah, the trap of categories and expectations …
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I bought the US version of S/T on cassette. My mom came in the room while WMHP was playing. She said she liked it. I didn't listen to the Clash again for years.

simo
Long Time Jerk

Post by simo »

I bought London Calling mostly because I liked the cover and I liked Rock the Casbah. If they had had Combat Rock at the store I probably would've bought that instead. I got home and listened to LC 2 or 3 times and loved it.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I bought Story of during senior year of high school when I was getting into classic rock. I remember hearing Train in Vain and I Fought the Law and thinking "damn this is catchy." I also thought Armagideon Time and Straight to Hell were kind of boring. I forced my way through the second disc (the early stuff) and grew to really enjoy it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:I bought the US version of S/T on cassette. My mom came in the room while WMHP was playing. She said she liked it. I didn't listen to the Clash again for years.
My mom really liked Three Card Trick when it came on my car. She also thinks she loves Van Morrison because of "Brown Eyed Girl".
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I bought US version of S/T on reputation alone. As soon as Mick came in with the "whoa"s in the chorus of CCR I was hooked for life.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

arsebundren77
Junco Partner

Post by arsebundren77 »

My first Clash experience was similar to Flex's -- I got a dubbed copy of Combat Rock off a coworker, as well as 'Hate Your Friends' by the Lemonheads and, I think, a Sex Pistols bootleg. Of the three, CR was the one I listened to the least.
Last edited by arsebundren77 on 05 Apr 2009, 8:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

arsebundren77 wrote:My first Clash experience was similar to Flex's -- I got a dubbed copy of Combat Rock off a coworker, as well as 'Hate Your Friends' by the Lemonheads and, I think, a Sex Pistols bootleg. CR was my least favorite of the three.
Hate Your Friends is a great album.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

arsebundren77
Junco Partner

Post by arsebundren77 »

Flex wrote:
arsebundren77 wrote:My first Clash experience was similar to Flex's -- I got a dubbed copy of Combat Rock off a coworker, as well as 'Hate Your Friends' by the Lemonheads and, I think, a Sex Pistols bootleg. CR was my least favorite of the three.
Hate Your Friends is a great album.
Aye, 'tis... I don't think I've listened to it in 10+ years, though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

arsebundren77 wrote:My first Clash experience was similar to Flex's -- I got a dubbed copy of Combat Rock off a coworker, as well as 'Hate Your Friends' by the Lemonheads and, I think, a Sex Pistols bootleg. Of the three, CR was the one I listened to the least.
Typical Maritimers—stealing while the rest of us earn our way thru life. ;)

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Was sitting playing cards with my brother, Mother and her then boyfriend (nice guy but Status Quo fan) on a sunday evening after dinner because there was fuck all else to day way back then, we used to listen to the top 30 on the radio, I think White Riot debuted at 26, I was mesmorized and the fact that my Mum and her bloke thought it was fuckin' awful only added to my joy...
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Purple Hayes wrote:Was sitting playing cards with my brother, Mother and her then boyfriend (nice guy but Status Quo fan) on a sunday evening after dinner because there was fuck all else to day way back then, we used to listen to the top 30 on the radio, I think White Riot debuted at 26, I was mesmorized and the fact that my Mum and her bloke thought it was fuckin' awful only added to my joy...
Status Quo? Where'd you dispose of his body …?

arsebundren77
Junco Partner

Post by arsebundren77 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
arsebundren77 wrote:My first Clash experience was similar to Flex's -- I got a dubbed copy of Combat Rock off a coworker, as well as 'Hate Your Friends' by the Lemonheads and, I think, a Sex Pistols bootleg. Of the three, CR was the one I listened to the least.
Typical Maritimers—stealing while the rest of us earn our way thru life. ;)
Yes yes, but I got it off a coworker... not the federal government. :mrgreen: I also recall getting a mix tape off the same dude a bit later... don't remember much from it except a band from Montreal, I think, called the Ripcordz. They weren't bad, from what I recall.