Canadian footage

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
tt5th

Canadian footage

Post by tt5th »

Some nice footage i haven't seen before.

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Re: Canadian footage

Post by threecoffins »

Fantastic, thanks! Never seen this before. I love Joe's spiel on bootleggers.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

threecoffins wrote:Fantastic, thanks! Never seen this before. I love Joe's spiel on bootleggers.
I still couldn't really tell whether he was for or against The Megalist.

They show a brief excerpt from that interview in TFIU, but otherwise, I had never seen that. It's a who's who of Clash folk. Pennie Smith, Kosmo, Johnny (for a brief few seconds at the end), just no Bernie or Baker. I couldn't understand what the hell the Undertones were saying.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Really great footage. Interesting Joe's saying Rude Boy is "in the garbage can." And the negative comments about live albums rehashing songs when only a few years later they would be contemplating putting out the Shea Stadium album about to come out.

In A Rut
Dirty Punk

Post by In A Rut »

i remember seeing that on the show The New Music. Much Music was rebroadcasting old episodes of it several years ago and I missed out on taping it (I have an edited version of that segment from a punk documentary somewhere).

i think that footage is from the same show that Jeanne Beker (the host) was interviewing Burton Cummings (who was wearing a sweet purple satin tour jacket) and asked him "what's it like being a sex symbol"). yikes! i can't stand Burton Cummings.

sex symbol? or not? you be the judge

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

IIRC, they aired this uncut segment after Joe died -- I've got a tape of it, somewhere.

Here's what the dude-interviewer (who's also in the '84 tourbus interview thingy) is up to, nowadays: http://edition.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_repo ... .john.html

revolutionrock_
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by revolutionrock_ »

:cool:

"Fucking long, innit?"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
threecoffins wrote:Fantastic, thanks! Never seen this before. I love Joe's spiel on bootleggers.
I still couldn't really tell whether he was for or against The Megalist.

They show a brief excerpt from that interview in TFIU, but otherwise, I had never seen that. It's a who's who of Clash folk. Pennie Smith, Kosmo, Johnny (for a brief few seconds at the end), just no Bernie or Baker. I couldn't understand what the hell the Undertones were saying.
The Undertones were saying they could not get insurance for the show in Derry, and they live with tanks and bombs in Northern Ireland and that they can't get no sleep at night but if it wasn't for the tanks etc life would be boring. ;)

as for the Megalist Joe is definately for and against it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

In A Rut
Dirty Punk

Post by In A Rut »

this footage reminds me of a story,

when FHTE came out i was working at a record store and was playing the cd. this family came in and the mother asked what cd was playing. she then proceeded to tell me that she had been a big clash fan and that she had been at the show that was featured in the above clip. she told me that she used to be a punk and had a blue mowhawk, leather jacket, fishnets, docs, etc. Her husband listened in and looked on in horror. he was unaware of this part of her life. the best part was when she looked at his dumbfounded face and said "i did have a life before you honey." good stuff.