Rationalising Sandinista!

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rationalising Sandinista!

Post by muppet hi fi »

Never understood the great attraction of Charlie Don't Surf. Sure, I like it just fine - great lyrics, great vibe. Even better I saw it live, Aug. '82, St. Paul, MN (sorry, Terry was drumming. So it actually must have sucked, right?). I've played it and sung it, it's a fun song to have your way with, it always had great possibilities, just that the version on Sandinista! sounds like an outtake from Spirit of St. Louis (which I quite like). Just don't think it's near one of the best on Sandinista!, let alone the band's catelogue in general. Seems kinda like - oh, I dunno - Inocculated City or something. A bit light and clever and...light and clever.

Other hand - Up In Heaven is an extraordinarily beautiful and tough song. I wouldn't change the relatively light mix (aka Spirit of St. Louis mix) one iota, but I do wish they'd done it live (they never did, did they?), and can only wonder what that might have sounded like. Great bass runs by Paul (surely that's Paul) at the end after the initial noise fade. Beautiful sound/production.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

LTC
Corner Soul

Post by LTC »

everybody says don't leave this out, don't leave that out, just make a playlist and put it on random play, enjoy all 36 tracks. simple.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I love Charlie Don't Surf. It's 3 a.m. nightmare fuel music. Extremely evocative. The imagery, the muddy mix - whatever it is - it hits me immediately when it's sufficiently late at night. Not even as a Clash song. On its own, it's creepy, ethereal and alien.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kaleb wrote:I love Charlie Don't Surf. It's 3 a.m. nightmare fuel music. Extremely evocative. The imagery, the muddy mix - whatever it is - it hits me immediately when it's sufficiently late at night. Not even as a Clash song. On its own, it's creepy, ethereal and alien.
Ok. You're right. Very apt description/sentiments. Fuck it - it's a great song/production.
Now Junkie Slip, which most seem to despise, is truly brilliant. Tom Waits jamming with Keith Richards' Expensive Winos or some such. Dig Topper's drums, specially his kick tone. Nasty vibe; very fitting for the piece. What say ye?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Kaleb wrote:I love Charlie Don't Surf. It's 3 a.m. nightmare fuel music. Extremely evocative. The imagery, the muddy mix - whatever it is - it hits me immediately when it's sufficiently late at night. Not even as a Clash song. On its own, it's creepy, ethereal and alien.
Ok. You're right. Very apt description/sentiments. Fuck it - it's a great song/production.
Now Junkie Slip, which most seem to despise, is truly brilliant. Tom Waits jamming with Keith Richards' Expensive Winos or some such. Dig Topper's drums, specially his kick tone. Nasty vibe; very fitting for the piece. What say ye?
I like Junkie Slip.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Junkie Slip's great.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For all the emphasis on getting it down to one album, a very decent double is doable, with only minor filler/guilty pleasures. Hell, side six pretty much does half the job when looking to chop one lp.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

muppet hi fi wrote:Never understood the great attraction of Charlie Don't Surf. Sure, I like it just fine - great lyrics, great vibe. Even better I saw it live, Aug. '82, St. Paul, MN (sorry, Terry was drumming. So it actually must have sucked, right?). I've played it and sung it, it's a fun song to have your way with, it always had great possibilities, just that the version on Sandinista! sounds like an outtake from Spirit of St. Louis (which I quite like). Just don't think it's near one of the best on Sandinista!, let alone the band's catelogue in general. Seems kinda like - oh, I dunno - Inocculated City or something. A bit light and clever and...light and clever.

Other hand - Up In Heaven is an extraordinarily beautiful and tough song. I wouldn't change the relatively light mix (aka Spirit of St. Louis mix) one iota, but I do wish they'd done it live (they never did, did they?), and can only wonder what that might have sounded like. Great bass runs by Paul (surely that's Paul) at the end after the initial noise fade. Beautiful sound/production.

Actually, I love Charlie lots- always have since day one when it took a lot of growing for the other tracks. And you're a lucky duck because that was a asskicking show. And live, Charlie worked better with Terry's Timex choc-a-bloc than Topper's "god-I need-a-sniff-is-this-fucking-song-almost-over?" wavering pseudobeat. Because like most Clash songs the beat is just the beat and the action is up on the frontline. As in the Clash were the Clash, not Rush.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

LTC wrote:everybody says don't leave this out, don't leave that out, just make a playlist and put it on random play, enjoy all 36 tracks. simple.
Seconded

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Charlie is a brilliant song and one of my favourite Clash tracks although I think it grew on me after listening to live boots as opposed to the album version. It's like STH part 2.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:Never understood the great attraction of Charlie Don't Surf. Sure, I like it just fine - great lyrics, great vibe. Even better I saw it live, Aug. '82, St. Paul, MN (sorry, Terry was drumming. So it actually must have sucked, right?). I've played it and sung it, it's a fun song to have your way with, it always had great possibilities, just that the version on Sandinista! sounds like an outtake from Spirit of St. Louis (which I quite like). Just don't think it's near one of the best on Sandinista!, let alone the band's catelogue in general. Seems kinda like - oh, I dunno - Inocculated City or something. A bit light and clever and...light and clever.

Actually, I love Charlie lots- always have since day one when it took a lot of growing for the other tracks. And you're a lucky duck because that was a asskicking show. And live, Charlie worked better with Terry's Timex choc-a-bloc than Topper's "god-I need-a-sniff-is-this-fucking-song-almost-over?" wavering pseudobeat. Because like most Clash songs the beat is just the beat and the action is up on the frontline. As in the Clash were the Clash, not Rush.
I don't remember what show it's from now but that one where Strummer says "Blue funk" is a brilliant version.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I heard Shitsville on Sirius/XM's First Wave today.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

JennyB wrote:I heard Shitsville on Sirius/XM's First Wave today.
"Hitsville U.K." isn't so bad, even w/ Ellen's vocals. I prefer her vocals to Tymon's in "Lose This Skin."

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

muppet hi fi wrote:
CDS is a wonderful tune. I can do w/o "Junkie Slip."

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Love Hitsville, prefer Lose This Skin.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/