Rationalising Sandinista!

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Re: Rationalising Sandinista!

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Career Opportunities (kids) "fantastic"? I don't know about that.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I admire the self-awareness involved in a quote-unquote punk band revisiting an earnest first-wave track and re-recording it with children and bells.

An experiment that went horribly awry in 1985...

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Inder wrote:I admire the self-awareness involved in a quote-unquote punk band revisiting an earnest first-wave track and re-recording it with children and bells.

It struck me as a knock-off of Another Brick ITW pt 2.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

msza2 wrote:
Inder wrote:I admire the self-awareness involved in a quote-unquote punk band revisiting an earnest first-wave track and re-recording it with children and bells.

It struck me as a knock-off of Another Brick ITW pt 2.
No way. Career Ops is at least a bit tongue in cheek. Brick is very very serious. Just because both utilize children doesn't mean they are going for the same thing.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Let's not forget they re-recorded Remote Control at the Vanilla sessions. So it would've been cool if they had re-recorded CO as dub-wise stylee workout for S! Instead of the Mickey's kids version. Which is fun at first but hardly something you'd want to hear more than once and not worthy of inclusion on the album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

jayrok
Dirty Punk

Post by jayrok »

1.Mag 7
2.Hitsville UK
3.Junco Partner
4.Something About England
5.Somebody Got Murdered
6.One More Time
7.The Sound Of Sinners
8.Police On My Back
9.Broadway
10.Kingston Advice
11.The Street Parade

... and although not on the album, and everyone on this site hates it, I love it ...

12.Stop The World

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

How anyone can make a Sandinista comp without Up in Heaven - one of a tiny handful of real, actual, bonafide Clash songs on hand- in favor on some wanked-off pile of dumbfuck, pseudo-ethnic twaddle (name it) will forever be a mystery to me.

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

IkarisOne wrote:How anyone can make a Sandinista comp without Up in Heaven - one of a tiny handful of real, actual, bonafide Clash songs on hand- in favor on some wanked-off pile of dumbfuck, pseudo-ethnic twaddle (name it) will forever be a mystery to me.
I find it weird how its never even been on one of the many compilations, It never even made it onto 'Clash on Broadway'

Great lyrics definetly one of my fave ever Clash songs would loved to have heard it live.
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dirty Harry wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:How anyone can make a Sandinista comp without Up in Heaven - one of a tiny handful of real, actual, bonafide Clash songs on hand- in favor on some wanked-off pile of dumbfuck, pseudo-ethnic twaddle (name it) will forever be a mystery to me.
I find it weird how its never even been on one of the many compilations, It never even made it onto 'Clash on Broadway'

Great lyrics definetly one of my fave ever Clash songs would loved to have heard it live.
It really is one of the most underrated gems of their catalog.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

Yeah, Sandinista!'s inept sequencing plays a part in that I think.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

Yep killer track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

Yep killer track.
Yeah, UIH is essential.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

Yep killer track.
Yeah, UIH is essential.
Good word. If someone asked me to pick a track that summed up The Clash that would be on my short shortlist. Why isn't on COB or whatever? Maybe some coked-up rich twit from the NME told Mick it was too rockist and told them they should sound more like the Raincoats or 23 Skidoo and it became a thing.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Up In Heaven is one of their all-time best "this would change my life if it came on the radio at 2 in the morning" songs, of which they have several.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

Yeah, Sandinista!'s inept sequencing plays a part in that I think.
The sequencing on Sandinista is truly terrible. Hitsville as track 2? Absurd.

(My phone just tried to autocorrect it to Hoysville.)
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"