Rationalising Sandinista!

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Rationalising Sandinista!

Post by Silent Majority »

There's an art to song ordering. I think the overwhelming feeling of the album could have been lessened if someone with the training of mix tapes an playlists had been behind the wheel there.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:There's an art to song ordering. I think the overwhelming feeling of the album could have been lessened if someone with the training of mix tapes an playlists had been behind the wheel there.
I honestly feel like it's perfect for the MP3 age, because everyone can make their own playlist.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:There's an art to song ordering. I think the overwhelming feeling of the album could have been lessened if someone with the training of mix tapes an playlists had been behind the wheel there.
I honestly feel like it's perfect for the MP3 age, because everyone can make their own playlist.
MP3's and playlists have ruined listening because nobody is appreciating the artist anymore. /simon reynolds
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
Yeah, inevitably. It's kinda great that we've all got our own Sandinista!
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Dirty Harry wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:How anyone can make a Sandinista comp without Up in Heaven - one of a tiny handful of real, actual, bonafide Clash songs on hand- in favor on some wanked-off pile of dumbfuck, pseudo-ethnic twaddle (name it) will forever be a mystery to me.
I find it weird how its never even been on one of the many compilations, It never even made it onto 'Clash on Broadway'

Great lyrics definetly one of my fave ever Clash songs would loved to have heard it live.
I've always thought that Clash on Broadway and the other compilations were a monumental screw up in the way they treated Sandinista and hence the Clash's career arc - Up in Heaven, One More Time and Charlie Don't Surf should have been repeatedly held out as the classics of that era (and put on virtually every comp along with Mag 7, Somebody and POMB). Instead, not one of them even sniff Story of Clash, COB (3 CDs!) or Essential Clash - instead, we get Stop the World, Ivan, The Leader, The Call-Up, Live Lightning Strikes - not to mention practically every bloody song from 1977.

While I'm at - Jimmy Jazz over Spanish Bombs, Groovy Times over Gates of the West - ugh.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

drowninghere wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:How anyone can make a Sandinista comp without Up in Heaven - one of a tiny handful of real, actual, bonafide Clash songs on hand- in favor on some wanked-off pile of dumbfuck, pseudo-ethnic twaddle (name it) will forever be a mystery to me.
I find it weird how its never even been on one of the many compilations, It never even made it onto 'Clash on Broadway'

Great lyrics definetly one of my fave ever Clash songs would loved to have heard it live.
I've always thought that Clash on Broadway and the other compilations were a monumental screw up in the way they treated Sandinista and hence the Clash's career arc - Up in Heaven, One More Time and Charlie Don't Surf should have been repeatedly held out as the classics of that era (and put on virtually every comp along with Mag 7, Somebody and POMB). Instead, not one of them even sniff Story of Clash, COB (3 CDs!) or Essential Clash - instead, we get Stop the World, Ivan, The Leader, The Call-Up, Live Lightning Strikes - not to mention practically every bloody song from 1977.

While I'm at - Jimmy Jazz over Spanish Bombs, Groovy Times over Gates of the West - ugh.
All four essential for me. Agree with your comment on the S! tracks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Up in Heaven is the I Heard Her Call My Name of Sandinista. In many ways, it's possibly the greatest no-fooling-around (your Sister Rays and Equalizers) thing about the album, probably one of the band's most unappreciated gems, and also both have a lot of feedback.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

My Sandinista!:

1. The Magnificent Seven
2. Hitsville U.K. (!)
3. Junco Partner
4. Ivan Meets G.I. Joe
5. The Crooked Beat
6. Somebody Got Murdered
7. Up In Heaven (Not Only Here)
8. Corner Soul
9. If Music Could Talk
10. The Sound Of Sinners
11. Police On My Back
12. The Call Up
13. Washington Bullets
14. Charlie Don't Surf

(Not necessarily in this order)

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Dirty Harry wrote:

I personally pushed for it to be included on COB when Mick gave me the provisional track list and asked what I thought was missing. I suggested Up in Heaven, Know Your Rights and All the Young Punks. Apparently Joe specifically nixed Know Your Rights. Mick hemmed and hawed about Up in Heaven. My only guess is that he didn't want to push for a song he sang lead on, unless it had some publishing issue with the Phil Ochs quote. I couldn't believe they left it off.

Edit: Reading some of the posts above, it's true that Sandinista was poorly represented on COB. One More Time and Charlie Don't Surf are also musts. I think I also mentioned Charlie at the time and was surprised it wasn't there.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

I personally pushed for it to be included on COB when Mick gave me the provisional track list and asked what I thought was missing. I suggested Up in Heaven, Know Your Rights and All the Young Punks. Apparently Joe specifically nixed Know Your Rights. Mick hemmed and hawed about Up in Heaven. My only guess is that he didn't want to push for a song he sang lead on, unless it had some publishing issue with the Phil Ochs quote. I couldn't believe they left it off.

Edit: Reading some of the posts above, it's true that Sandinista was poorly represented on COB. One More Time and Charlie Don't Surf are also musts. I think I also mentioned Charlie at the time and was surprised it wasn't there.
And yet they put Jimmy Jazz, Stop the World and Ivan Meets GI Joe on an Essential set. Moral of the story- we're all masochists.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Any Sandinista tracklist without Something About England is a crime against humanity.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I think it'd be more fun to do a thread about which songs we should kill than which songs we should keep.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:Any Sandinista tracklist without Something About England is a crime against humanity.
Or respected gentlemen.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kaleb wrote:I think it'd be more fun to do a thread about which songs we should kill than which songs we should keep.
Or maybe a worst of The Clash EP.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer