clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Post by Marky Dread »

FarawayTowns wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 1:20pm
This great photo of Joe is new to me.

I've got that. But it's a good one for sure.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I remember I was apprehensive here about Letts being on the BMC cover. Y'all convinced me, but this further reinforces it:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 6:48pm
I remember I was apprehensive here about Letts being on the BMC cover. Y'all convinced me, but this further reinforces it:
Always knew Don was genuinely on the cover. But he is walking away from the trouble not engaging with it as the cover implies.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

matedog wrote:
Interesting photo which is new to me. You weren't alone in being sceptical about Don being the character in the BMC photo. I was told by people in the local area that it wasn't him. Which surprised me greatly at the time. However he wasn't much liked by said people.So I think that maybe this latest photo kind of refutes their opinion.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
That's pretty amazing that so many years later someone via the internet is able to put speculation to rest and offer up conclusive proof. Good stuff!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 7:23pm
matedog wrote:
Always knew Don was genuinely on the cover. But he is walking away from the trouble not engaging with it as the cover implies.
I think you convinced me by posting a photo of him in the exact same outfit. Can’t find the damn thread though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 8:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
I think you convinced me by posting a photo of him in the exact same outfit. Can’t find the damn thread though.
He's also said specifically that it was him—if you don't trust Don, who can you?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Kory wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 6:07pm
if you don't trust Don, who can you?
:ugeek:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 7:18pm
Kory wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 6:07pm
if you don't trust Don, who can you?
:ugeek:
I'll be more inclined to trust him when he releases his damn book!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
I never doubted it was him, but the photo looked manipulated to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 9:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Well you can clearly see from the image Matedog put up on the original sleeve that Don is simply crossing the road. The reissue looks way more manipulated as Don is in a different colour.
Attachments
dprlp20_3_1.png
612yGA2mqnL._SY780_.jpg
612yGA2mqnL._SY780_.jpg (74.32 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 7:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Well you can clearly see from the image Matedog put up on the original sleeve that Don is simply crossing the road. The reissue looks way more manipulated as Don is in a different colour.
The photo that it's based on—pre-colouring—seems like DL has been cut out and placed on the sidewalk or road. But his feet seem off somehow to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 7:43am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
The photo that it's based on—pre-colouring—seems like DL has been cut out and placed on the sidewalk or road. But his feet seem off somehow to me.
Yes it gives an almost floating effect. But I think it's just because the road surface has gone and replaced by one solid color / colour.

On the rear sleeve of the original Don is seen as a silhouette image. So I used to wonder if he had been cut out and re-positioned to make his appearance seem larger on the cover. But I don't think any manipulation other than the colouring. I've since seen the original black & white and it's no different.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes it gives an almost floating effect. But I think it's just because the road surface has gone and replaced by one solid color / colour.

On the rear sleeve of the original Don is seen as a silhouette image. So I used to wonder if he had been cut out and re-positioned to make his appearance seem larger on the cover. But I don't think any manipulation other than the colouring. I've since seen the original black & white and it's no different.
Floating is a good word. But, yeah, even if the photo was manipulated—and I'm not confident that it was, only that it looks a bit jarring—I've assumed it was to heighten the effect, not falsify.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:36am
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Floating is a good word. But, yeah, even if the photo was manipulated—and I'm not confident that it was, only that it looks a bit jarring—I've assumed it was to heighten the effect, not falsify.
Here's the original. You can see Don half on the road half on the pavement (sidewalk). With the road surface removed it gives that "floating" effect.
Attachments
Dyq02YHWkAc6wFb.jpeg
Dyq02YHWkAc6wFb.jpeg (92.46 KiB) Viewed 1910 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia