clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 7:51pm
Heston wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 7:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 6:54pm
Maybe the picture is a fake. Where's the rest of Joe's mike stand? Paul's feet have disappeared.
I think that's an out of focus monitor in front of them. But it's quite possible it's fake.
Why would someone do that?
The internet
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Stefano1972 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 10:23am
Heston wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 6:20am
This pic appeared on FB today. Strange to see Mick using his semi acoustic. Maybe a TV show? Looks late 81, early 82 to me.

330392240_1131225700889830_6505234543179964325_n.jpg
Very nice unseen photo, I think it was taken during the Pacific Tour at the beginning of the 1982. Joe and Paul they have almost the same airstyle in this photo taken in Australia at the end of Febraury 1982
Based on this photo, the other one could be from early '82. As I mentioned to matedog, that photo is a tough one to date.
Last edited by BR16ADE_R055E on 04 Mar 2023, 3:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

If genuine I still think I'm sticking with 1980. When you blow the picture up it's more apparent to me that Joe has a buzz cut and his hair isn't slicked back. Paul is wearing that little pin badge with the wings which can be seen a lot on his pinstripe that he wore around 1980. Mick's hair looks very similar to the Friday's footage.

In the photo Stefano posted Joe has slightly longer sideburns and looks more gaunt in the face.
Attachments
20230304_053849.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Joe and Mick look very similar to this pic. Mick maybe wearing the same jacket.

Joe with that "1st May" "Take a Holiday" message.
Attachments
2d207d7e1b379056f733268f49ffa6a9.jpg
2d207d7e1b379056f733268f49ffa6a9.jpg (66.38 KiB) Viewed 5378 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

For my point of view that photo was taken around the same period of the photosession for the Combat Rock cover. Teeths of Joe can explain more but he has the microphone…
Attachments
4621AD3D-46C1-4E5D-A424-6540CBDE41D3.jpeg
4621AD3D-46C1-4E5D-A424-6540CBDE41D3.jpeg (21.68 KiB) Viewed 5339 times

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 1:37am
If genuine I still think I'm sticking with 1980. When you blow the picture up it's more apparent to me that Joe has a buzz cut and his hair isn't slicked back. Paul is wearing that little pin badge with the wings which can be seen a lot on his pinstripe that he wore around 1980. Mick's hair looks very similar to the Friday's footage.

In the photo Stefano posted Joe has slightly longer sideburns and looks more gaunt in the face.
Good eye on the pin. I mentioned on fb that topper has a china cymbal on the left of the photo. He has one on his kit in the Fridays footage but not in some of the photos from the Asia 82 tour.

I thought this might be rehearsal/sound check footage from Fridays but Paul’s hair still doesn’t match. All signs point to 1980 for new, just coordinating Joe and Paul’s hair seems to be the key.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 10:02am
Marky Dread wrote:

Good eye on the pin. I mentioned on fb that topper has a china cymbal on the left of the photo. He has one on his kit in the Fridays footage but not in some of the photos from the Asia 82 tour.

I thought this might be rehearsal/sound check footage from Fridays but Paul’s hair still doesn’t match. All signs point to 1980 for new, just coordinating Joe and Paul’s hair seems to be the key.
Yeah, good detective work from Marky. Pinpointing when Joe and Paul were cropped could be the key. Is this new pic before or after Fridays?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 10:12am
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah, good detective work from Marky. Pinpointing when Joe and Paul were cropped could be the key. Is this new pic before or after Fridays?
Well it might be Thursday. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 6:09pm
Heston wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 3:47pm
matedog wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 2:31pm
I'm trying to message Briggy to see if he can chime in on the attire.
Good call.
Brigs isn't certain on the photo. He thinks it's 80 and that Joe's hair is buzzed, not slicked back like early 82. Hopefully he can chime in here directly.

The main issue I have is with Paul's hair vs. Joe's. It's close, but doesn't match the Fridays hair.
I'm back to thinking that it's from 1980. Maybe Joe and Paul didn't get haircuts at the same time. Yes, Mick's hair does look like it does on Fridays. It also doesn't look staged since Topper isn't paying attention to the camera.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 2:38pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Good call.
Brigs isn't certain on the photo. He thinks it's 80 and that Joe's hair is buzzed, not slicked back like early 82. Hopefully he can chime in here directly.

The main issue I have is with Paul's hair vs. Joe's. It's close, but doesn't match the Fridays hair.
I'm back to thinking that it's from 1980. Maybe Joe and Paul didn't get haircuts at the same time. Yes, Mick's hair does look like it does on Fridays. It also doesn't look staged since Topper isn't paying attention to the camera.
Looks very staged to me. Made to look like they are playing live.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 1:55am
Joe and Mick look very similar to this pic. Mick maybe wearing the same jacket.

Joe with that "1st May" "Take a Holiday" message.
What show is this picture from? The "Take a Holiday" message I think was only on his guitar on Fridays and presumably the adjacent Roxy show. Here's the March 9 show in Boston:
http://www.blackmarketclash.co.uk/Pages ... 5b2%5d.png

(hmm, image won't embed)
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 10:28am
Heston wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 10:12am
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Well it might be Thursday. ;)
:mrgreen:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 3:46pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Good call.

Have they ever done staged photos of them pretending to play live? Other than those like 1976 rehearsal pics (which were probably them actually playing).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 5:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

Good call.

Have they ever done staged photos of them pretending to play live? Other than those like 1976 rehearsal pics (which were probably them actually playing).
German magazine Bravo had the Sex Pistols stage a live pic. Also this one below of The Clash which I think is also staged.

Bravo was a poster magazine. Here's the Pistols one for what it's worth
Attachments
20230307_222801.jpg
20230307_222801.jpg (293.63 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
780112-clash.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 6:17pm
matedog wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 5:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
matedog wrote:

German magazine Bravo had the Sex Pistols stage a live pic. Also this one below of The Clash which I think is also staged.

Bravo was a poster magazine. Here's the Pistols one for what it's worth
That Clash one is assuredly photo-edited. It's a combo of other pics.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc