clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 5:51pm
Chairman Ralph wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 5:08pm
I did see it, but I thought it might be interesting for anyone who wanted to see that whole story laid out -- the first time I saw the Lightning Raiders mentioned came in a special Kerrang! from the summer of '85, which claimed that Island had four LPs (!) of material under lock and key. Apparently not, since the reissue basically rounds up the two singles and one EP. Anyway, Mr. Butler did quite a lot in his lifetime, though he's one of those guys, as I mentioned, whose name pops up a lot, but not one you'd have given much thought to, unless you had one of those releases with him on it. That's all.
I bought the Psychedelic Music single in 1980 being a big Pistols fan I would buy anything related.

The Lightning Raiders were one of those band's that could've been contenders but somehow something always got in their way.

I've got the Punks from the Underground CD which has most of the info as to who plays on what completely wrong. All the players were regulars at the Speakeasy club and went to Island studios after a drinking session and recorded. Hot Rods and many others that ended up backing Johnny Thunders on his So Alone album.

Various Punks
‘Punks from the Underground’ CD

Rare, exclusive 1978 punk sessions arranged by Eddie & the Hot Rods manager at Island Studios

This 'obscure punk compilation' has an interesting back-story.  Eddie & the Hot Rods manager ED HOLLIS together with producer/engineer STEVE LILLYWHITE invited their band friends and journalist mates to record at Island Records studio.  Island wanted to get into the new punk scene that they didn't understand and thought Ed Hollis was perfectly positioned to form a new Island Records' punk label.

Tumbling out of the musicians late-night club The Speakeasy, along came: - 

Two of the HEARTBREAKERS, members of THE ONLY ONES under the name SPEEDBALLS (previously mistakenly credited to Sean Tyla), famed NME journalist NICK KENT, famed late Sounds journalist GIOVANNI DADOMO’s Snivelling Sh!ts, THE LIGHTNING RAIDERS, various members of EDDIE & THE HOT RODS along with Southend musicians, their roadie Deeno as DEENO'S MARVELS, Ed's brother MARK HOLLIS in his pre-TALK TALK days (mistakenly credited to The Sh!ts), and various other guest stars from the London punk scene of the time.

Nick Kent's band THE SUBTERANNEANS were Peter Perrett, John Perry, Mike Kellie (all from THE ONLY ONES) together with Tony James (GENERATION X); all uncredited.

This CD is "misleadingly labelled and appallingly packaged" - but writer Simon Wright has made thorough investigations and interviewed many of the participants, and detailed the sessions and background in his 'Only Rock'n'Roll' blog.  Google: 'Ed Hollis Speedball' and you'll find it - his article makes excellent sleeve-notes to accompany this CD.

The CD comes with a 12-page booklet with Japanese titles and English lyrics translated from the audio by Japanese - BUT very little info on exactly who was on these almost secret, London punk scene sessions!  The real details are approximately these:-

Mark Hollis (later of Talk Talk) (mistakenly credited to The Sh!ts): I’m Flying; 
The Sh!ts (Giovanni Dadomo, Pete Makowski & friends): I’m Waiting For My Crossroads;
Heartbreakers (Walter Lure, Billy Rath, Henri Paul Tortosa): Too Much Junkie Business; 
Deeno’s Marvel (Southend band with Rods' roadie Deano): Oil City Rockers; 
The Speedballs (Only Ones' John Perry & Mike Kellie): Speedball Jive; 
Nick Kent: Switch-hitter Dub; 
The Sh!ts: Bring Me The Head; 
Nick Kent & The Subteranneans: Chinese Shadow; 
The Lightning Raiders (Pink Fairies offshoot): DiDja; 
Heartbreakers (Lure, Rath, Tortosa): Seven Day Weekend; 
Vegetables (actually The Sh!ts): Vegetable Man; 
The Phantoms (Henri Paul Tortosa & Steve Nichol): High School. 

(12 tracks)

Other recordings from these sessions include Johnny Thunders & The Hot Rods EPs, recently released on Remarquable Records.
Hello,

I can't find this anywhere. Can someone help a brother out?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

From the Clash fb group. Appears to be Bonds era. It's weird how few Bernie photos, particularly during Clash era, that I've seen. It's usually the same four over and over again (77 Paul sorta headlocking him, unknown era where Bernie is sitting, 82 airport photo with Joe, and US Festival).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 9:28am
From the Clash fb group. Appears to be Bonds era. It's weird how few Bernie photos, particularly during Clash era, that I've seen. It's usually the same four over and over again (77 Paul sorta headlocking him, unknown era where Bernie is sitting, 82 airport photo with Joe, and US Festival).
Great thanks Matedog. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
See, Facebook is good for something ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 11:22am
matedog wrote:
Heh. I've joined that IMCT group and now I'm trying to figure out who is who.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

If I didn't know them I'd say those two guys are on a first date and have just run out of things to talk about.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 1:25pm
Heston wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 11:22am
matedog wrote:
Heh. I've joined that IMCT group and now I'm trying to figure out who is who.
That was the main reason I added you. I'm still not sure who some people are myself!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Just an idle observation but how tiny Bernie looks in that pic. Always knew he was a small guy but Toppers got around 4 inches on him there and Topper was no giant himself!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 1:52pm
Just an idle observation but how tiny Bernie looks in that pic. Always knew he was a small guy but Toppers got around 4 inches on him there and Topper was no giant himself!
Yes Topper is 1' 6" and Bernie is 1' 2". Though Topper is standing on a flight case.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

I've been scouring the web for photos of any of 1983 pre-US Fest shows, and this is all I could find. Taken from their Witchita Falls stop, you can see Pete Howard on the drums. Joe's playing his Esquire. Wish there were more photos of these Texas shows.Image

Heston

Post by Heston »

KCportland wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:14pm
I've been scouring the web for photos of any of 1983 pre-US Fest shows, and this is all I could find. Taken from their Witchita Falls stop, you can see Pete Howard on the drums. Joe's playing his Esquire. Wish there were more photos of these Texas shows.Image
There is a few from Tucson on the Black Market Clash website.

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

Heston wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:19pm
KCportland wrote:
Cannot believe that site still exists. Just went on, that brings back some memories.

Heston

Post by Heston »

KCportland wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:26pm
Heston wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 2:19pm
KCportland wrote:
Cannot believe that site still exists. Just went on, that brings back some memories.
Just had a major upgrade.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

One I wasn't familiar with.
Attachments
497dd654dbab74fa23c2255a5fce2194.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

KCportland wrote:
Hes already mentioned BMC, but there are some interesting press/promo-ish photos from then too:
(Pete having some serious Sean Astin vibes here)

There's that truck stop photo as well that comes to mind but I can't find. Everyone here says Mick looks cool in it, but he really looks like a total nerd.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.