The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by WestwayKid »

MV5BZDJmYWNjNTItNjE2Zi00MTBkLWIxYTgtMmE4NTE3YTFjNmJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1NTMyNzM@._V1_.jpg
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

This looks like a bit of a color upgrade from what was out there before.

Side question, at around 2 minutes, they talk about their distaste for miming and mention something like "we tried it once in Germany..." Any idea what this is in reference to?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 10:46am

Side question, at around 2 minutes, they talk about their distaste for miming and mention something like "we tried it once in Germany..." Any idea what this is in reference to?
Were they ever on one of those German music shows?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:

Yes, I'd noticed it was an upgrade. That person has some cool stuff on his channel, I've subscribed.

I was wondering about the German thing too. They say they were kicked off, perhaps it never aired? They didn't mind miming in their videos!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:15am
matedog wrote:

Yes, I'd noticed it was an upgrade. That person has some cool stuff on his channel, I've subscribed.

I was wondering about the German thing too. They say they were kicked off, perhaps it never aired? They didn't mind miming in their videos!
I know there is that Munich 77 footage, but that's clearly a live concert with some backstage interviews.

Not sure why Top of the Pops made bands mime. Seems reasonable that they could allow live performances.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:26am
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

I know there is that Munich 77 footage, but that's clearly a live concert with some backstage interviews.

Not sure why Top of the Pops made bands mime. Seems reasonable that they could allow live performances.
Weird old musician union regulations.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

rudebhoy
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by rudebhoy »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

I have a very vague recollection of them being forced to mime on a foreign show, and them doing so with their back to the cameras / mics. Could be mixing that up with a different band, but like I say, it does ring a bell somewhere.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:26am
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

Some bands did play live, and the show had stretches later on where you had to play live or sing live to a backing track. I suppose it might have been budget issues originally, quicker and cheaper for bands to mime.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:

Wasn't it the Michael Drucker show?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Having a normal one with Flex on Twitter.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 10:23am
MV5BZDJmYWNjNTItNjE2Zi00MTBkLWIxYTgtMmE4NTE3YTFjNmJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1NTMyNzM@._V1_.jpg
Paul looks like a natural on set doesn't he? I suppose he'd be somewhat limited I terms of casting though.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 6:35pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Paul looks like a natural on set doesn't he? I suppose he'd be somewhat limited I terms of casting though.
He does! It's interesting that he never really pursued any acting roles (other than his turn as Johnny in The Fabulous Stains). I assume it just wasn't a priority and that his work as an artist came first (with music coming in second).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 8:54am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 6:35pm
WestwayKid wrote:
He does! It's interesting that he never really pursued any acting roles (other than his turn as Johnny in The Fabulous Stains). I assume it just wasn't a priority and that his work as an artist came first (with music coming in second).
You've seen Hell W10 I take it. Paul had movie star looks but I doubt he can act. He carried off that moody James Dean thing pretty good but he's no Brando. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

When I said limited casting wise I meant he could basically play someone like himself. With that outfit, and a bit of time travel, he could have been a colleague of Harry Styles in Dunkirk.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Was watching that Tiswas clip and when Sally James said the address for the competition entries I said it with her including the post code 😂
I must have watched a lot of Tiswas even if it was 40 odd years ago.