The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 7:37pm
Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 6:44pm
This is quite possibly my favourite live Clash footage. Did it get any better than this?

Yeah great stuff. Though its probably on par with the Paris footage. Plus i would have to say the Elizabethan Rooms Manchester is fucking ace but its hard to compare different eras. Those early beaconsfield promos are i incredible for a band starting out.

Wasnt this the footage that was up on YouTube from a couple of years back where the guy was hoping to get enough votes/cash to put up the majority of the whole show?
It was in 2014. IIRC, it was for likes on Facebook and just for the footage that was published to YouTube, not the whole show...I don’t think the whole show was filmed. The uploader eventually removed the footage from YT, but not before others saved it and shared it like the video above.

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

I've listened to Cut the Crap more than the debut and London Calling combined.

(GEER, S!, CR are top 3 in listens)

There are no skips on CTC until Fingerpoppin!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

KCportland wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 11:50pm

There are no skips at all on ST and LC. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Tim Bucknall »

KCportland wrote:

I just realised this is almost certainly true for me and i’m actually shocked
In my defence i listen to live stuff more than studio by a long way, not just for the clash but for everyone

If i feel like some 77 clash i tend to play Leicester

I put on ctc to perk myself up
Sandinista! is still my number one, its like living in clash world for 2 And half hours and who wouldn’t want that?

GEER is my least favourite, but safe European home is one of my favourite songs by any artist.
I can’t imagine a clash show without it , love how it sounded in 81 and early 82

Someone said that safe euro/ Tommy gun should have been a double a side and the rest of the geer masters should have been burned. Was it David Quantick? I have some sympathy with that view.

The other rope songs didn’t stick around in live performances much After 1980 so I feel somewhat vindicated. stay free and English civil war reappeared from late 81 til mick’s exit.
They felt like a regressive step in a set full of funk and dub but we have an artificial perspective in 2020

For the UK audience who hadn’t seen the band for 18 months It was amazing to hear those tunes
The Liverpool audience in 81 is actually shouting for stay free and drug stabbing time

Clash II only played 3 songs from rope despite being about turning the clock back. We have that uncomfirmed rumour about last gang in town being played
but I’m really sceptical. Seems like it would have appeared again if they’d rehearsed it

Christ i didn’t mean to spew all that, I only logged on to rave about Armagideon time from the second night of Boston 82

Thanks for posting that Detroit footage, I missed it first time round, absolutely stunning.

Right where was i oh armagideon time with Rankin’ Roger

Roger’s raps acting like a second drummer adding accents and fills to Terry’s 4/4 pulse
Mick conjuring up electronic storm clouds while Roger chants about apocalyptic floods
Joe’s cracked soulful voice Fitting perfectly

The other 4 are somewhere between those 2

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Tim Bucknall wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 9:31am
KCportland wrote:

In my defence i listen to live stuff more than studio by a long way, not just for the clash but for everyone

Sandinista! is still my number one, its like living in clash world for 2 And half hours and who wouldn’t want that?

GEER is my least favourite, but safe European home is one of my favourite songs by any artist.
I can’t imagine a clash show without it , love how it sounded in 81 and early 82

Someone said that safe euro/ Tommy gun should have been a double a side and the rest of the geer masters should have been burned. Was it David Quantick? I have some sympathy with that view.

The other rope songs didn’t stick around in live performances much After 1980 so I feel somewhat vindicated. stay free and English civil war reappeared from late 81 til mick’s exit.
They felt like a regressive step in a set full of funk and dub but we have an artificial perspective in 2020

For the UK audience who hadn’t seen the band for 18 months It was amazing to hear those tunes
The Liverpool audience in 81 is actually shouting for stay free and drug stabbing time

Clash II only played 3 songs from rope despite being about turning the clock back. We have that uncomfirmed rumour about last gang in town being played
but I’m really sceptical. Seems like it would have appeared again if they’d rehearsed it

Christ i didn’t mean to spew all that, I only logged on to rave about Armagideon time from the second night of Boston 82

Thanks for posting that Detroit footage, I missed it first time round, absolutely stunning.

Roger’s raps acting like a second drummer adding accents and fills to Terry’s 4/4 pulse
Mick conjuring up electronic storm clouds while Roger chants about apocalyptic floods

Well spewed, Tim!

I reckon anything Clash/BAD related with Rankin' Roger on it makes for great listening.

Marky's remasters of the Bonds shows had me noticing the absence of GEER, Safe Eurpean Home excepted. No I fought the law, either, although that was back for the Mogador show.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Tim Bucknall wrote:
KCportland wrote:

Tim,
I'm in the process of remastering the Liverpool gig from 81. And it's sounding fairly decent now. However those WAV files being the same as the Megalist are missing 2 tracks "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe" and "Armagideon Time". Reading the review at Graham's BMC site they were definitely played and are on the old source (i don't have this). Though one track which is on the WAV files "The Leader" isn't mentioned on BMC.

Do you have that first version with the missing tracks? Or anyone else able to upload please.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 10:26am
Tim Bucknall wrote:
KCportland wrote:

Tim,
I'm in the process of remastering the Liverpool gig from 81. And it's sounding fairly decent now. However those WAV files being the same as the Megalist are missing 2 tracks "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe" and "Armagideon Time". Reading the review at Graham's BMC site they were definitely played and are on the old source (i don't have this). Though one track which is on the WAV files "The Leader" isn't mentioned on BMC.

Do you have that first version with the missing tracks? Or anyone else able to upload please.
I’ve got it Marky. I’ll PM you later.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

topperville wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 11:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 10:26am
Tim Bucknall wrote:
KCportland wrote:

Tim,

I’ve got it Marky. I’ll PM you later.
Cheers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 9:46am
Tim Bucknall wrote:
KCportland wrote:

I reckon anything Clash/BAD related with Rankin' Roger on it makes for great listening.

Agreed

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 4:45pm
laxman wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 9:46am
Tim Bucknall wrote:
KCportland wrote:

Agreed
Anything with Roger on it is great full stop.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 4:00am
KCportland wrote:

I probably skip Deny, Protex Blue, Four Horsemen, Card Cheat and maybe Right Profile 9/10 times. In terms of quality, I can't say with a straight face that CTC is superior to S/T. But there is an undeniable fun factor that Crap has that no other Clash record has, despite it being recorded under the least fun circumstances (maybe Bernie does deserve a little credit there).

Also, This Is England I think is lyrically more powerful than anything in S/T, especially after reading We Are the Clash and putting it in perspective with the miners strike and the rust belt in the Midwest US. Such a fiery, poetic and vivid song.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

KCportland wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 9:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
KCportland wrote:

I probably skip Deny, Protex Blue, Four Horsemen, Card Cheat and maybe Right Profile 9/10 times. In terms of quality, I can't say with a straight face that CTC is superior to S/T. But there is an undeniable fun factor that Crap has that no other Clash record has, despite it being recorded under the least fun circumstances (maybe Bernie does deserve a little credit there).

Also, This Is England I think is lyrically more powerful than anything in S/T, especially after reading We Are the Clash and putting it in perspective with the miners strike and the rust belt in the Midwest US. Such a fiery, poetic and vivid song.
Which Clash album did you first get into?

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 9:19pm
KCportland wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
KCportland wrote:

Combat Rock was the first one I remember connecting with, I was probably 13 or so. London Calling I went through a phase around that same time with but haven't returned to that album with much regularity. I think the last time I really sunk my teeth into LC was when the Vanilla Tapes came out. I think the production is too lightweight on LC and it always was too pastiche for me. Obviously not the only Clash with genre pastiche but the pastiche on S! seems more convincing (Broadway, Rebel Waltz, Sound of Sinners). And the debut didn't seem to have the variety of sonics that the other records have. Just my opinion of course.

I also have such a soft spot for CTC because when I found it it was like I found a secret Clash album because they had tried so hard to erase it from their history. I thought I had all five Clash albums until flipping through an old band bio and seeing a photo of Clash II. The "forbidden" nature of Crap really was part of it's appeal, but I've learned to love it on its own.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

KCportland wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 9:47pm
101Walterton wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 9:19pm
KCportland wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
KCportland wrote:

Combat Rock was the first one I remember connecting with, I was probably 13 or so. London Calling I went through a phase around that same time with but haven't returned to that album with much regularity. I think the last time I really sunk my teeth into LC was when the Vanilla Tapes came out. I think the production is too lightweight on LC and it always was too pastiche for me. Obviously not the only Clash with genre pastiche but the pastiche on S! seems more convincing (Broadway, Rebel Waltz, Sound of Sinners). And the debut didn't seem to have the variety of sonics that the other records have. Just my opinion of course.

I also have such a soft spot for CTC because when I found it it was like I found a secret Clash album because they had tried so hard to erase it from their history. I thought I had all five Clash albums until flipping through an old band bio and seeing a photo of Clash II. The "forbidden" nature of Crap really was part of it's appeal, but I've learned to love it on its own.
Fair enough

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

KCportland wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
KCportland wrote:

I also skip this track more often than not. Can't quite put my finger on why, however.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble