The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 10:26am
Heston wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 8:16pm
Is this Strummer inventing the moonwalk at 50 seconds? He is possessed at this gig, I forgot how great it was. There's some rarely seen footage at the end as well, outtakes of Joe recording All the Young Punks from the Rude Boy Extras.

Some of my favourite Clash footage. Love when he kicks the frontage from the drum riser.
Haha, yes it's great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Is this Strummer inventing the moonwalk at 50 seconds? He is possessed at this gig, I forgot how great it was. There's some rarely seen footage at the end as well, outtakes of Joe recording All the Young Punks from the Rude Boy Extras.

Can’t stream in US apparently. Is this the Munich footage ?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 10:49am
Heston wrote:

It is.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 10:49am
Heston wrote:

Yes but with a nice bonus tacked on the end.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

I love 1:06-1:18 of Tommy Gun so, so much.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 4:59pm
What is your opinion on London Calling the album? It's just the album I can't remember your opinion on. In fact, how would you rank the Clash albums? I'm just asking this out of interest as you are obviously one of the younger participants on this board.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 5:38pm
BitterTom wrote:
What is your opinion on London Calling the album? It's just the album I can't remember your opinion on. In fact, how would you rank the Clash albums? I'm just asking this out of interest as you are obviously one of the younger participants on this board.
It's difficult as LC has some of my favourite Clash songs on there but there's also 1 more dud for me than GEER being Lover's Rock and Four Horsemen, (Revolution Rock can't be considered a dud I'm not the biggest fan) so I have to go,

GEER
LC
S!
CR
S/T
CTC

4 and 5 could change however.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 5:50pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
It's difficult as LC has some of my favourite Clash songs on there but there's also 1 more dud for me than GEER being Lover's Rock and Four Horsemen, (Revolution Rock can't be considered a dud I'm not the biggest fan) so I have to go,

GEER
LC
S!
CR
S/T
CTC

Interesting, never had you down as a member of the GEER hordes.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 5:55pm
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

GEER
LC
S!
CR
S/T
CTC

It's perfect for me bar Cheapskates, Julie isn't the best but not a dud for me. Fabulous album.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 5:57pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

GEER
LC
S!
CR
S/T
CTC

It's perfect for me bar Cheapskates, Julie isn't the best but not a dud for me. Fabulous album.
I love the chorus to Cheapskates but the verses are a bit boring. An unusual lack of melody and a lumbering arrangement. The lyrics are clever but ultimately ring hollow. But yeah, fucking amazing album.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 6:08pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 5:57pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:

GEER
LC
S!
CR
S/T
CTC

I love the chorus to Cheapskates but the verses are a bit boring. An unusual lack of melody and a lumbering arrangement. The lyrics are clever but ultimately ring hollow. But yeah, fucking amazing album.
Yep I like the music and the chorus. But some of the lyrics are poor.

I think my list goes;

S!
LC
TC
GEER
CR
CtC

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Was rewatching the Know Your Rights mixing video and was thinking about just how many takes this song went through. Of what we know of, there's the video, an alt version that Marky had put on his Rat Patrol mix, the version on Rat Patrol, then of course the Combat Rock final version. The common thing of all these is that the backing is for the most part the same, but Joe went through constant rewrites on it. Really makes me wonder just how many different versions of the song there ended up being. There's also the takes done earlier in 81 before the Paris shows, which who knows how many times that got a rewrite. The song being an unfinished piece is definitely made evident of all the different lyrical (and sometimes instrumental) variants we got from when it debuted live to when Terry took over.

Heston

Post by Heston »

River wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 7:33pm
Was rewatching the Know Your Rights mixing video and was thinking about just how many takes this song went through. Of what we know of, there's the video, an alt version that Marky had put on his Rat Patrol mix, the version on Rat Patrol, then of course the Combat Rock final version. The common thing of all these is that the backing is for the most part the same, but Joe went through constant rewrites on it. Really makes me wonder just how many different versions of the song there ended up being. There's also the takes done earlier in 81 before the Paris shows, which who knows how many times that got a rewrite. The song being an unfinished piece is definitely made evident of all the different lyrical (and sometimes instrumental) variants we got from when it debuted livew to when Terry took over.
I know one thing, Paul's bass sounds great in that video. It had the life mixed out of it later.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 8:09pm
River wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 7:33pm
Was rewatching the Know Your Rights mixing video and was thinking about just how many takes this song went through. Of what we know of, there's the video, an alt version that Marky had put on his Rat Patrol mix, the version on Rat Patrol, then of course the Combat Rock final version. The common thing of all these is that the backing is for the most part the same, but Joe went through constant rewrites on it. Really makes me wonder just how many different versions of the song there ended up being. There's also the takes done earlier in 81 before the Paris shows, which who knows how many times that got a rewrite. The song being an unfinished piece is definitely made evident of all the different lyrical (and sometimes instrumental) variants we got from when it debuted livew to when Terry took over.
I know one thing, Paul's bass sounds great in that video. It had the life mixed out of it later.
Tell it to Glyn.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I think time can change your clash album preferences. Its why i am surprised when we are over 40 years listening to the same albums there is not a change of opinion. I tried to say something similar when tracks like E-mc2 from BAD are still listed as there best song or London calling from the clash.

But the reason i mention this is because i play Combat Rock more than any other clash album these days only because i have something left to discover with CR where as the other albums have been played forwards , backwards , inside out and back to front that my listening preference has changed . Obviously CR was least played back in the day

I cant say CR is my favourite album as that would be wrong and not justified but if i was wanting to listen to the clash now i get more enjoyment from listening to Combat Rock than any of the other five albums.