The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Kory wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 3:06pm
laxman wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 10:19am
"I'm waiting for the boys to make their mind up as to what we can do with it" quote from Don Letts about the Bonds footage.
This makes it seem a lot further away than we were maybe thinking from Teddy's sneaky clues.
Maybe, maybe not. But neither deals nor decisions have been taken. I told Mick what Don said and he just sort of chuckled.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 6:16pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 3:06pm
laxman wrote:
"I'm waiting for the boys to make their mind up as to what we can do with it" quote from Don Letts about the Bonds footage.
This makes it seem a lot further away than we were maybe thinking from Teddy's sneaky clues.
Maybe, maybe not. But neither deals nor decisions have been taken. I told Mick what Don said and he just sort of chuckled.
OL' Chucklin' Mick
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

laxman wrote:
Latest Uncut magazine talks abut a possible Joe Ely with the Clash live show getting a release (Hope & Anchor 24 Feb 1980) plus also a "I'm waiting for the boys to make their mind up as to what we can do with it" quote from Don Letts about the Bonds footage.
The H&A show would be great
As for the DL quote, call me cynical, but i'm going to call it as "smoke and mirrors". I find it hard to believe that there isn't more to it.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

There's a new reality show called "Bling Empire" on Netflix about extremely rich (like billionaire level) Asian Americans. The wife got me into it, fine. Anyway, I yelled at my wife and paused-rewound a scene when I noticed one of the uber rich guys was wearing this horrid probably $2,000 t-shirt that had an image of Joe Strummer from the 83 London marathon. It was baffling to see it here and that this boutique shirt exists for a lot of reasons.

I can't find the exact shirt online but it was pretty much this:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

matedog wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 10:41am
There's a new reality show called "Bling Empire" on Netflix about extremely rich (like billionaire level) Asian Americans. The wife got me into it, fine. Anyway, I yelled at my wife and paused-rewound a scene when I noticed one of the uber rich guys was wearing this horrid probably $2,000 t-shirt that had an image of Joe Strummer from the 83 London marathon. It was baffling to see it here and that this boutique shirt exists for a lot of reasons.

He should have to read that Nick Hornby book before he's allowed to wear it.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 10:46am
matedog wrote:

:lol:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 10:46am
matedog wrote:

https://usa-grlk5lagedl.stackpathdns.co ... crop=faces
Haha. I'm not really worried about gatekeeping, though there is definitely a little bit of that. It just seems like a really random ass thing to put on a designer t-shirt. There is so much great imagery of Joe Strummer, particularly in the Clash years, but those marathon photos are so goofy. And if you want to slap a goofy looking runner on a t shirt, there is no significance to Joe Strummer in that context.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

The photog who unearthed his shots of Joe at the marathon put out a run of shirts after he went semi-viral, so that's probably it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 11:27am
The photog who unearthed his shots of Joe at the marathon put out a run of shirts after he went semi-viral, so that's probably it.
It is.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:

Could you please provide a screen cap of the guy wearing the shirt?

The Satisfy shirts are pricey, but not that pricey.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 11:27am
Satisfy, a running clothing company in France, made/sold them in collaboration with the photographer.

matedog

Post by matedog »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 10:33pm

Could you please provide a screen cap of the guy wearing the shirt?

The Satisfy shirts are pricey, but not that pricey.

That's the best I could grab. Sleeveless with holes and it's like a grey-blue. I'm curious if you could track down the specific shirt. Also, the was filmed probably mid 2019 if that helps at all.

Edit: I'm guessing it's these "moss eaten" shirts: https://satisfyrunning.com/collections/ ... scle-tee-9
If so, that's way cheaper than I expected them to wear, but a $122 sleeveless t-shirt is still pretty pricy. I don't know where that falls on the range of t-shirt prices.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

- Moth Eaten Holes
Moth Eaten holes are body mapped on to over-washed combed cotton for strategic ventilation with a special focus on the chest and mid-back. The holes shift over time to create a unique personal ventilation system. Breathable and versatile, these shirts only wear better as they age.

I guess thats what you're paying the big bucks for. Ventilation holes that somehow move no less, seems a neat kinda trick.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 11:10am
- Moth Eaten Holes
Moth Eaten holes are body mapped on to over-washed combed cotton for strategic ventilation with a special focus on the chest and mid-back. The holes shift over time to create a unique personal ventilation system. Breathable and versatile, these shirts only wear better as they age.

I guess thats what you're paying the big bucks for. Ventilation holes that somehow move no less, seems a neat kinda trick.
Yes all the best Clash shirts come from charity shops.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

These are speed holes. They make the shirt go faster.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/