The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Guest1

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Guest1 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 7:25pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 May 2021, 7:06pm
I’ll say it again, it still baffles me that the Ramones didn’t end up becoming the biggest band in the world. From the big apple, and writes razor sharp pop songs that could fit perfectly on any advert, and not hyper political like their contemporaries.
Marketing marketing marketing. When a big label signs a band, the foremost concern is whether and how to market the band. And in the context of the 1970s and early 80s, the industry didn't know how to market them or most other punk bands. The chief virtue of signing them in the first place was that there was critical buzz and they were cheap to sign and record. So if they flopped, which most did (at least initially), no great loss.
Did the Ramones even get airplay back in the day? Elders of mine have told me that the Clash started getting spins around here in 1978 around the time of GEER.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 May 2021, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I’ll say it again, it still baffles me that the Ramones didn’t end up becoming the biggest band in the world. From the big apple, and writes razor sharp pop songs that could fit perfectly on any advert, and not hyper political like their contemporaries.
Marketing marketing marketing. When a big label signs a band, the foremost concern is whether and how to market the band. And in the context of the 1970s and early 80s, the industry didn't know how to market them or most other punk bands. The chief virtue of signing them in the first place was that there was critical buzz and they were cheap to sign and record. So if they flopped, which most did (at least initially), no great loss.
Did the Ramones even get airplay back in the day? Elders of mine have told me that the Clash started getting spins around here in 1978 around the time of GEER.
I guess it depends on the radio station and the market demographic. Here in So Cal, there was a station that used to play them (KROQ), but no deep cuts, just songs like Rock N Roll High School, I Wanna Be Sedated & Pet Sematary.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
05 May 2021, 8:18pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 May 2021, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I guess it depends on the radio station and the market demographic. Here in So Cal, there was a station that used to play them (KROQ), but no deep cuts, just songs like Rock N Roll High School, I Wanna Be Sedated & Pet Sematary.
Yeah, they received airplay from the same stations and deejays who were playing other punk back then. Pure niche, 11 pm stuff.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

There's a show i listen to nightly, a light music show, eclectic mix though not so much rap, metal, hip hop etc. It's not a youth channel. Anyway, the dj explained last night that he'd seen a pic of Joe on twitter, from his gravedigging days in Newport, loved it and inspired him to play a few tracks throughout the show. Radio Clash, London Calling, Forbidden City, Sleepwalk, Redemption Song, Should i Stay, Casbah all got plays. So some predictable favourites but some deep cuts as well, i guess he just had the Assembly cd to hand. I dont know why, but i always get a real buzz when i hear clash songs played on the radio. A kind of silly, primitive feeling of "hey, that's my band" and i turn it up real loud and it's like as if I'm hearing those songs for the 10th time as opposed to the 1,000th.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 May 2021, 7:35am
A kind of silly, primitive feeling of "hey, that's my band"
100% same.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

My friend Mariel, who is a few years younger than me and basically only listens to Uruguayan folk music, has just discovered London Calling. I'm so jealous that she is experiencing this for the first time. But I also feel sorry for her because I am bogging her down with Clash minutiae.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
06 May 2021, 10:37am
My friend Mariel, who is a few years younger than me and basically only listens to Uruguayan folk music, has just discovered London Calling. I'm so jealous that she is experiencing this for the first time. But I also feel sorry for her because I am bogging her down with Clash minutiae.
That's what I loved about Suzanne's time in the community. It was fun hearing her discover the Jam or Joy Division and report back to us how cool they were. It's easy to be dismissive—yeah, yeah, we all did that already, missy—but seeing someone else go thru that same process was in its own way validating of our own tastes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2021, 10:53am
JennyB wrote:
06 May 2021, 10:37am
That's what I loved about Suzanne's time in the community. It was fun hearing her discover the Jam or Joy Division and report back to us how cool they were. It's easy to be dismissive—yeah, yeah, we all did that already, missy—but seeing someone else go thru that same process was in its own way validating of our own tastes.
Exactly. It's easy for us to be cynical, but it's absolutely joyful to see this.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Inder wrote:
06 May 2021, 9:02am
Low Down Low wrote:
100% same.
Glad it's not just me!

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 May 2021, 11:39am
Inder wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
100% same.
Glad it's not just me!
I'm also likewise. For some reason it always seems to be a more enjoyable listen on the radio.
Doesn't just apply exclusively to The Clash for me either.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

FarawayTowns wrote:
06 May 2021, 3:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
06 May 2021, 11:39am
Inder wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
100% same.
Glad it's not just me!
I'm also likewise. For some reason it always seems to be a more enjoyable listen on the radio.
Doesn't just apply exclusively to The Clash for me either.
Yeah, i don't know what it is about the wireless, but there's a certain indefinable magic there. Countless number of songs I've heard over the years that don't do a lot for me and then one night i hear one of them on the radio and it just suddenly clicks. I don't know why but i love it when it happens.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Drove around running errands with the windows down listening to Rat Patrol and Mohawk Revenge, just living my best alternate 1980s studio life.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
17 May 2021, 1:45pm
Drove around running errands with the windows down listening to Rat Patrol and Mohawk Revenge, just living my best alternate 1980s studio life.
See the 80s weren't all BAD. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Wolter wrote:
😎

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:
17 May 2021, 3:42pm
Wolter wrote:
😎
Finally! Someone uses it correctly.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"