The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 9:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 8:44am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 4:14am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 4:13am
Did anyone see the first Clash appearance on Tiswas in 1978? One of the Clash biogs mentions it, Jones stayed in bed but Joe and Paul made it? I started watching Tiswas around 1979... brilliant, mad, essential viewing.
Yeah I saw it just Joe and Paul no Topper or Mick. I also remember Elvis Costello and The Jam being on the show.

From Johnny Green.

This short Midlands tour helped to road-test the Give 'Em Enough Rope material, but I was sad about a missed opportunity. The TV show Tiswas was always a good reason for getting up on Saturday mornings. It was a kids show, but acquired a cult following of adults. The Clash - the band that wouldn't do Top of the Pops - had really hustled to get on the show while we were in the Midlands. Eventually they were invited to appear, and were really excited about it. We were going to meet Chris Tarrant, Lenny Henry, Spit the Dog and Sally James, the sexy leather-clad co-presenter. It was a live show, and come that Saturday morning, Mick wouldn't get up. At a hurried conference, we decided that Joe and Paul would go to the show, Topper and Mick would stay behind. And I would stay to look after them. We kicked around the hotel in Birmingham, and watched the show on TV. Joe and Paul were "put in the cage" on Tiswas. It looked great fun. I sulked and drank. I felt like someone had nicked my Cup Final ticket. But Mick was unrepentant. For him, when he surfaced from bed, nothing had happened. He couldn't understand why I was upset. As far as he could see, this television show was just a silly aside to the main business of making music, and in a way he was right. But I was in it for the crack ...
That whole Tiswas episode sounds awesome.Was there an interview with Joe/Paul, or they just got pelted in the cage? A clip that's sadly never found it's way onto youtube.
I can't remember any interview just the cage part. Not to say there wasn't one but it doesn't register in my old memory banks. I too would love to see it again as I only watched it in Black and White.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 10:20am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Did anyone see the first Clash appearance on Tiswas in 1978? One of the Clash biogs mentions it, Jones stayed in bed but Joe and Paul made it? I started watching Tiswas around 1979... brilliant, mad, essential viewing.
Yeah I saw it just Joe and Paul no Topper or Mick. I also remember Elvis Costello and The Jam being on the show.

From Johnny Green.

This short Midlands tour helped to road-test the Give 'Em Enough Rope material, but I was sad about a missed opportunity. The TV show Tiswas was always a good reason for getting up on Saturday mornings. It was a kids show, but acquired a cult following of adults. The Clash - the band that wouldn't do Top of the Pops - had really hustled to get on the show while we were in the Midlands. Eventually they were invited to appear, and were really excited about it. We were going to meet Chris Tarrant, Lenny Henry, Spit the Dog and Sally James, the sexy leather-clad co-presenter. It was a live show, and come that Saturday morning, Mick wouldn't get up. At a hurried conference, we decided that Joe and Paul would go to the show, Topper and Mick would stay behind. And I would stay to look after them. We kicked around the hotel in Birmingham, and watched the show on TV. Joe and Paul were "put in the cage" on Tiswas. It looked great fun. I sulked and drank. I felt like someone had nicked my Cup Final ticket. But Mick was unrepentant. For him, when he surfaced from bed, nothing had happened. He couldn't understand why I was upset. As far as he could see, this television show was just a silly aside to the main business of making music, and in a way he was right. But I was in it for the crack ...
That whole Tiswas episode sounds awesome.Was there an interview with Joe/Paul, or they just got pelted in the cage? A clip that's sadly never found it's way onto youtube.
I can't remember any interview just the cage part. Not to say there wasn't one but it doesn't register in my old memory banks. I too would love to see it again as I only watched it in Black and White.
Not many VCRs in 1978 either certainly not in my house.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 3:05pm
Few homes had enough room or sufficient structural support for those original beasts.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 3:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
Few homes had enough room or sufficient structural support for those original beasts.
I didn’t see one till around 1980/81 when a mates family got one.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:

From Johnny Green.

Not many episodes survived. This from Wiki...
Almost every edition of Tiswas was transmitted live and only recorded in case of any future IBA investigation (as was standard practice at the time). Accordingly, they suffered the same fate as a number of 1970s children's series in that they were thought to have no further commercial use (the idea of home video entertainment was still in its infancy), and therefore many master tapes were wiped for re-use. As a result, very few programmes officially exist in their entirety. Those that were kept were often stored in poor conditions, which led to severe picture deterioration, so they are no longer of broadcast quality.

However, some did survive; many viewers made their own recordings and in many cases these are the only existing copies of the programmes. Members of the production team and performers on the show would also record their appearances, leading to many episodes existing in private hands. In 2006, ITV began a search for many missing ITV programmes, including Tiswas, for their Raiders Of The Lost Archive series broadcast in 2007.

Their website reveals that only 22 episodes are known to officially exist in their entirety: episode 60 from 30 August 1975, four episodes from 1978, two episodes from 1979, two episodes from 1980, five episodes from 1981 and nine episodes from 1982. Incomplete segments from show 151 (broadcast on 10 December 1977), an episode from 1978 and two episodes from 1979 are also known to have survived.

The prolific TiswasOnline fansite[2] features an in-depth episode guide for the whole series, detailing where an episode is known to exist, whether as a private home recording or in the official archive. ITV plc has confirmed to TiswasOnline that many more programme elements (other than those officially known to exist) have been kept, but as yet these have not been fully catalogued. This may include insert material such as animations and graphics or filmed clips. Furthermore, the Tiswas Reunited programme in 2007 resulted in the discovery of further footage.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 3:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
I didn’t see one till around 1980/81 when a mates family got one.
My sister and brother-in-law had a Betamax in the late 70s. I remember, tho, when my town got its first video rental place in the early 80s, and you could also rent the players (top loader, of course). They came in massive suitcases, weighed at least 75 lbs. I don't think my parents bought one until the mid-80s.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 3:34pm
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:

From Johnny Green.

Almost every edition of Tiswas was transmitted live and only recorded in case of any future IBA investigation (as was standard practice at the time). Accordingly, they suffered the same fate as a number of 1970s children's series in that they were thought to have no further commercial use (the idea of home video entertainment was still in its infancy), and therefore many master tapes were wiped for re-use. As a result, very few programmes officially exist in their entirety. Those that were kept were often stored in poor conditions, which led to severe picture deterioration, so they are no longer of broadcast quality.

However, some did survive; many viewers made their own recordings and in many cases these are the only existing copies of the programmes. Members of the production team and performers on the show would also record their appearances, leading to many episodes existing in private hands. In 2006, ITV began a search for many missing ITV programmes, including Tiswas, for their Raiders Of The Lost Archive series broadcast in 2007.

Their website reveals that only 22 episodes are known to officially exist in their entirety: episode 60 from 30 August 1975, four episodes from 1978, two episodes from 1979, two episodes from 1980, five episodes from 1981 and nine episodes from 1982. Incomplete segments from show 151 (broadcast on 10 December 1977), an episode from 1978 and two episodes from 1979 are also known to have survived.

The prolific TiswasOnline fansite[2] features an in-depth episode guide for the whole series, detailing where an episode is known to exist, whether as a private home recording or in the official archive. ITV plc has confirmed to TiswasOnline that many more programme elements (other than those officially known to exist) have been kept, but as yet these have not been fully catalogued. This may include insert material such as animations and graphics or filmed clips. Furthermore, the Tiswas Reunited programme in 2007 resulted in the discovery of further footage.
Sad state of affairs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 3:39pm
Sad state of affairs.
The fact they were taping over stuff as late as 1982 is just utter lunacy. Even I could grasp the archival importance of some tv shows in 1982.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 3:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Sad state of affairs.
The fact they were taping over stuff as late as 1982 is just utter lunacy. Even I could grasp the archival importance of some tv shows in 1982.
Yep it's unreal. I get it in the 60s with the Beeb taping over stuff with tape in short supply and expensive. But in the 80s that's just stupid.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:

From Johnny Green.

Sad state of affairs.
I definitely relate to Mick in that scenario.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 2:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

From Johnny Green.

Sad state of affairs.
How so mate? I mean Mick had no problem appearing on the show the following year.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:06pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:

Sad state of affairs.
How so mate? I mean Mick had no problem appearing on the show the following year.
As far as he could see, this television show was just a silly aside to the main business of making music,

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Sad state of affairs.
As far as he could see, this television show was just a silly aside to the main business of making music,
Yeah I got that mate. It was me who posted it.

So silly in '78 but OK in '79. Mick was being too serious and I expect the truth is it was way too early in the morning for his then rock n roll lifestyle.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:37pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Sad state of affairs.

So silly in '78 but OK in '79. Mick was being too serious and I expect the truth is it was way too early in the morning for his then rock n roll lifestyle.
I was just saying it was that quote that I relate to, as per your question.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:37pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Sad state of affairs.

That was how I read it.
That is why they titled the film Rude Boy because for half of it they are waiting for Mick to arrive.