The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Inder »

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 11:39am
Fact check: true. 0 pinocchios.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Clash songs ranked on some ranking site. Looks like I was justified about Junkie Slip. Fun to see Play To Win second from bottom but Are You Red...y in last place breaks my heart. Rudi Can't Fail seems to have risen in stature over the years, second in our recent vote and first here...

https://www.ranker.com/list/the-best-cl ... ef=blather
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 2:18pm
Inder wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 11:39am
Fact check: true. 0 pinocchios.
Yeah. It ain’t wrong.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 6:59pm
Clash songs ranked on some ranking site. Looks like I was justified about Junkie Slip. Fun to see Play To Win second from bottom but Are You Red...y in last place breaks my heart. Rudi Can't Fail seems to have risen in stature over the years, second in our recent vote and first here...

These types of lists are tiresome. And 'Cut the Crap' isn't the Clash. And "Junkie Slip" is still weirdly groovy, and vice versa.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 7:15pm
Heston wrote:

These types of lists are tiresome. And 'Cut the Crap' isn't the Clash. And "Junkie Slip" is still weirdly groovy, and vice versa.
I just thought it was amusing seeing Junkie Slip in the middle of that inevitable clutch of Cut the Crap songs at the end. It may be weirdly groovy but I'd say it's worse than anything on CTC as an actual song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:

"Rock in the Casbah" ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 7:21pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

I just thought it was amusing seeing Junkie Slip in the middle of that inevitable clutch of Cut the Crap songs at the end. It may be weirdly groovy but I'd say it's worse than anything on CTC as an actual song.
Sometimes just an atmosphere or "groove" are enough to see a piece through. Micro-tones, dissonance, surging, pulsating riddims, etc. I think I love pure, child-like, nursery rhyme level, major-chord, joyful melody (did I say that well?) as much as you do, mate, but there's other ways to express I and I, and I mon thinks Clash did it brilliantly on "Junkie Slip". (is this post pretentious enough to validate my point? ;) ).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 8:01pm
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Sometimes just an atmosphere or "groove" are enough to see a piece through. Micro-tones, dissonance, surging, pulsating riddims, etc. I think I love pure, child-like, nursery rhyme level, major-chord, joyful melody (did I say that well?) as much as you do, mate, but there's other ways to express I and I, and I mon thinks Clash did it brilliantly on "Junkie Slip". (is this post pretentious enough to validate my point? ;) ).
The problem with Junkie Slip is it doesn't go anywhere.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

I get all your "dissonance" etc comments and I love that in loads of Clash songs, but JS just leaves me cold. It sounds lethargic, uninspired and boring. And then there's the daft Joe noises. Give me Three Card Trick or Are You Red...y any day over that.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 8:11pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

It doesn't even start anywhere.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yup...just fades in, with a heavy, heavy monotonous groove... then fades out and away...kinda like extreme drug use, no? Maybe the lads were even hipper to life's maladies than we thought?...

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 8:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Yup...just fades in... then fades out and away...kinda like extreme drug use, no? Maybe the lads were even hipper to life's maladies than we thought?...
You're using that argument that I use for Bittersweet Symphony and Starship where the music reflects the subject matter. The problem is the end result has to be listenable.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 8:20pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yup...just fades in... then fades out and away...kinda like extreme drug use, no? Maybe the lads were even hipper to life's maladies than we thought?...
You're using that argument that I use for Bittersweet Symphony and Starship where the music reflects the subject matter. The problem is the end result has to be listenable.
"Bittersweet Symphony" I have no opinion on - it's OK. "We Built This City..." has nothing to do with basic, primal rock n' roll, so I'm not reading you, mate. And with "Junkie Slip" - it's your body that's doing the listening (literally, in my estimation, cuz I think it grooves; but maybe the band had that feeling as well, visa vis drug addiction).

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 8:26pm
Heston wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 8:20pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

"Bittersweet Symphony" I have no opinion on - it's OK. "We Built This City..." has nothing to do with basic, primal rock n' roll, so I'm not reading you, mate. And with "Junkie Slip" - it's your body that's doing the listening (literally, in my estimation, cuz I think it grooves; but maybe the band had that feeling as well, visa vis drug addiction).
You obviously haven't unlocked the Starship Code.