The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by white man »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 7:52pm
Kory wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 6:27pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 4:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 12:06am
Heston wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 9:01pm

Trans Fee Cash Pay One (early vesion of the Bottom Line)
Yep my point being not exactly New Orleans style so doubt anything was ever written rehearsed to be recorded. Just a Bernie idea.
Mick says they did rehearse some New Orleans style music, but didn’t specify if they wrote anything or just jammed or played covers.
Teddy, when you respond to things like this, is it based on your memories of previous conversations with Mick, or do you ask him directly in response to our conversations?
Usually the former (as in this case), but occasionally the second. For instance, he and I discussed the order of the first '84 BAD gigs back and forth over several days based on the conversation here, as the tapes were being uploaded. But more often we discuss movies/TV and politics. Speaking of which, has anyone seen Years and Years?
Not yet. Gonna catch up and binge watch it soon

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

ohsoso wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 4:10pm
deny wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 6:15pm
I have just watched the extras on I need a Dodge with Nick & Pete. Blimey Pete still looks stressed talking about his days in the Clash. Nick is quite relaxed. Nick considers CTC as a Strummer album. He also said that none of them (Pete,Nick & Vince) were in the Clash as they were only 'guns for hire.' ie on weekly pay etc.
been wanting too watch i need a dodge. only seen the trailer, any more nuggets to take away from it?
When Clash Mark 2 played in Italy at some communist event - Joe went off on one & was drinking 2 to 3 bottles of brandy a day.
Joining the Street Parade

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I have an observation: It's 37 years later and "Know Your Rights" is still one of the greatest post-punk singles of all time.

And it's Joe's-- and the band's-- most impassioned performance on Combat Rock by several orders of magnitude.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I have another observation: "Charlie Don't Surf" is the song that Colin Newman is kicking himself for not writing and Mike Thorne is kicking himself for not producing.

For the A-Z album, specifically.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 3:29pm
I have an observation: It's 37 years later and "Know Your Rights" is still one of the greatest post-punk singles of all time.

And it's Joe's-- and the band's-- most impassioned performance on Combat Rock by several orders of magnitude.
It's seriously underrated but we know they could've cut a better version.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 4:34pm
IkarisOne wrote:

I was listening to some Primal Scream stuff recently, on the back of the BBC Scotland Memphis documentary. I had totally forgotten they had done a cover version of it.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

Agreed. Was never that keen on the recorded version but love the live version on FHTE. Shows how powerful it could have been.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 5:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

Agreed. Was never that keen on the recorded version but love the live version on FHTE. Shows how powerful it could have been.
Be that as it may, the Quietus would say it was a top 10 postpunk classic if it were recorded by some band called "Spore Truncheon" or "Diversion 721" on Rough Trade or Factory.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 5:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

I was listening to some Primal Scream stuff recently, on the back of the BBC Scotland Memphis documentary. I had totally forgotten they had done a cover version of it.
Yep I've got that cover. Not a straight cover though.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 3:43am
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

Definitely not. I had been listening to it for a bit before I realised what it was!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 6:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 3:43am
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

Definitely not. I had been listening to it for a bit before I realised what it was!
Yes it's far from obvious.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

IkarisOne wrote:

Fuck yeah!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 5:24pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

Be that as it may, the Quietus would say it was a top 10 postpunk classic if it were recorded by some band called "Spore Truncheon" or "Diversion 721" on Rough Trade or Factory.
...and produced by someone else. Steve Lillywhite / Hugh Jones / Gil Norton.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

The Rat Patrol version is better than the CR version.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I love about 30 seconds of KYR. Then it's like "alright, I get the point." I admire how abrasive and caustic it is, particularly relative to everything else they were doing at the time and also how straightfowardly political it is. It's a great song for sure, but I just wish it did more musically.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.