The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 7:47pm
matedog wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 7:21pm
Tommy Gun would have been as equally perfect an opener to GEER as SEH.
Agreed. Then leave SEH to open side 2. GEER was always too front-loaded.
I read this after posting in the GEER thread. I thought it was pretty much objective truth that SEH is one of the greatest album openers of all time.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Watched the Blu ray remaster of Rudeboy last night, very nice remaster indeed, the 5.1 mix is a nice touch....anyway the speed of the album version of white riot has always bothered me. The drums are far too slow for the intensity of the track and when hearing the live version on Rudeboy again it made me wish the original had the same speed to it...such a shame, it's always bothered me

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 5:25am
Watched the Blu ray remaster of Rudeboy last night, very nice remaster indeed, the 5.1 mix is a nice touch....anyway the speed of the album version of white riot has always bothered me. The drums are far too slow for the intensity of the track and when hearing the live version on Rudeboy again it made me wish the original had the same speed to it...such a shame, it's always bothered me
Except the tracks on "Rude Boy" were overdubbed in the studio.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 5:29am
motorsmell wrote:
Yeah I know, but they dubbed it to match the speed of the performance...just wish Terry had paid more attention to the Tommy Ramone before recording the original!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 5:34am
Marky Dread wrote:
motorsmell wrote:
Yeah I know, but they dubbed it to match the speed of the performance...just wish Terry had paid more attention to the Tommy Ramone before recording the original!
I guess it's all down to individuals taste. But I've always preferred the single version which is slightly slower than the Beaconsfield take they used on the album. Many here prefer the album version though.

As the song was a bit of a steal of Blitzkrieg Bop maybe your Tommy Ramone statement makes a lot of sense.

Of course it's Terry on the album and single version and Topper on the live/studio Rude Boy take.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 6:18am
motorsmell wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
motorsmell wrote:
I guess it's all down to individuals taste. But I've always preferred the single version which is slightly slower than the Beaconsfield take they used on the album. Many here prefer the album version though.

As the song was a bit of a steal of Blitzkrieg Bop maybe your Tommy Ramone statement makes a lot of sense.

Of course it's Terry on the album and single version and Topper on the live/studio Rude Boy take.

Yeah Tommy Ramone would have really smashed that track out, it's very similar to the Bop, and the guitars are actually almost at Ramones speed it's just the beat that lags a bit...Live with Topper is far better.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 7:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
motorsmell wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
motorsmell wrote:

Yeah Tommy Ramone would have really smashed that track out, it's very similar to the Bop, and the guitars are actually almost at Ramones speed it's just the beat that lags a bit...Live with Topper is far better.
Can't argue that Topper is the better drumner. That said I do like Terry's drums on the first album especially the sound.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 7:51am
motorsmell wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 7:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
motorsmell wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Can't argue that Topper is the better drumner. That said I do like Terry's drums on the first album especially the sound.
Agreed, would have loved to hear if any demos came out of Toppers short time with Fastway (Eddie Clarkes post Motorhead band)...would be interesting to hear Toppers chops on some heavy metal

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

This Youtube user extracted some random ass Clash vocals:

(I posted Hitsville on the other thread, but it's on this channel too)
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 1:36pm

There's some fun stuff to listen to on this guys site, kinda liked these too.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 2:23pm
matedog wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 1:36pm

There's some fun stuff to listen to on this guys site, kinda liked these too.

The stems for those two tracks have been available for ages now. I think they were from the "Rockband" game.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I always think the June 17, 1980 Hammersmith Palais as the grand finale of the London Calling tour. The Clash FAQ book reminded me they played two more shows after that at Stoke and Reykjavik. No bootlegs in circulation, but I'd love them to appear some day. Particularly the Icelandic show since I don't think they ever played there otherwise.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 2:07pm
I always think the June 17, 1980 Hammersmith Palais as the grand finale of the London Calling tour. The Clash FAQ book reminded me they played two more shows after that at Stoke and Reykjavik. No bootlegs in circulation, but I'd love them to appear some day. Particularly the Icelandic show since I don't think they ever played there otherwise.
Would be awesome to hear those.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard