The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

KCportland wrote:
31 May 2021, 6:08pm
I know Vince made up a lot of shit in that book, but if Paul's pepperoni sticks are a lie that's one bridge too far for me.
That Vince is a bit of an animal! ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I remember Simonon protesting he wasnt a vegetarian in the Marcus Gray book when some promoter laid on some fine meatless meal for the Clash in the early eighties.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 2:08am
I remember Simonon protesting he wasnt a vegetarian in the Marcus Gray book when some promoter laid on some fine meatless meal for the Clash in the early eighties.
Well remembered mate. I've read that and had forgotten. In fact it's probably my brain half remembering and thinking he was a vegetarian. :rolleyes:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

This snippet of Street Parade from Barcelona '81 is magical. They sound wild here, like Barrett-era Floyd or something. Wish they had played this song more, its always been in my top 3 Clash tracks. Part of me wishes it were more heralded in the Clash canon but I kind of like it being a sleeper. Maybe their most successful fusion of rock and dub, really paved the way for Rat Patrol.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

KCportland wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 8:17pm
This snippet of Street Parade from Barcelona '81 is magical. They sound wild here, like Barrett-era Floyd or something. Wish they had played this song more, its always been in my top 3 Clash tracks. Part of me wishes it were more heralded in the Clash canon but I kind of like it being a sleeper. Maybe their most successful fusion of rock and dub, really paved the way for Rat Patrol.

Great track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Maggie has asked me to make her a Clash playlist. She's familiar enough with them since I play them in the house a lot, but she wants my "vision" for what I would use to recommend them to people (and also so she can have something to listen to down in Tucson). I'm torn between doing a really concise list of maybe an hour (which is nearly impossible since there's too many important tracks), or just really making a 4 hour list of my favorite songs. What would you do?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 3:14pm
Maggie has asked me to make her a Clash playlist. She's familiar enough with them since I play them in the house a lot, but she wants my "vision" for what I would use to recommend them to people (and also so she can have something to listen to down in Tucson). I'm torn between doing a really concise list of maybe an hour (which is nearly impossible since there's too many important tracks), or just really making a 4 hour list of my favorite songs. What would you do?
Hello,

You might consider 3 lists: a punk/fast/loud/energetic Clash, a reggae Clash, and an other/pop/whatever Clash. You couid probably keep each to ~45-60 minutes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 3:22pm
Kory wrote:
Hello,

You might consider 3 lists: a punk/fast/loud/energetic Clash, a reggae Clash, and an other/pop/whatever Clash. You couid probably keep each to ~45-60 minutes.
I like this idea, tho I'd suggest a punk Clash, a pop Clash, and a deeper cuts Clash that demonstrates why they were cutting edge and often hard to classify. The first two are more beginner stuff, while the third is the graduate seminar.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
How about your favorite 2-3 songs from each album (except CTC of course) to kind of show their progression from being a punk band to a whatever they needed up as band?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I reckon a double album length of 90 mins with 25 songs or so. Pick mainly the most commercially immediate stuff and she can fill in the gaps later if the interest is there. I've converted loads this way over the years.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 3:40pm
How about your favorite 2-3 songs from each album (except CTC of course) to kind of show their progression from being a punk band to a whatever they needed up as band?
Meaning it merits far more than 2–3 songs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:09pm
Sparky wrote:
Meaning it m2erits far more than 2–3 songs.
I bet a lot of people would like North and South and Three Card Trick more than Broadway or Junco Partner.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:03pm
I reckon a double album length of 90 mins with 25 songs or so. Pick mainly the most commercially immediate stuff and she can fill in the gaps later if the interest is there. I've converted loads this way over the years.
I'm assuming you'd want to leave off Casbah and Should I stay due to excessive familiarity?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:09pm
Sparky wrote:
Meaning it m2erits far more than 2–3 songs.
I bet a lot of people would like North and South and Three Card Trick more than Broadway or Junco Partner.
A lot of people prefer Katy Perry to the Clash.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:41pm
Heston wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:03pm
I'm assuming you'd want to leave off Casbah and Should I stay due to excessive familiarity?
I thought I'd put them on just so she has them in one place. I know she likes SISOSIG so she could get it as part of the playlist rather than having to go to her other playlist for it, which might create a Pavlovian response to the rest of the songs.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 3:31pm
gkbill wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 3:22pm
Hello,

I like this idea, tho I'd suggest a punk Clash, a pop Clash, and a deeper cuts Clash that demonstrates why they were cutting edge and often hard to classify. The first two are more beginner stuff, while the third is the graduate seminar.
I thought about doing the three playlists idea of Punk/Pop/Deep Cuts, but I then I considered that it wouldn't be true to the band because they would have had it all jumbled together on the same album rather than separated. I kind of want to give the truest representation of them that I can. I also thought it should be chronological because their comps usually are, but then that frontloads the thing with punk stuff she may not like as much.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc